Choosing Chickens

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by Duncan, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

When I went to the bird and feed store to get my three bantams, I was very specific about what breed I had wanted. I was determined to start small since their life was beginning indoors.
    Anyway, I've had them for about two months and they are doing just fine. Even broke down and named them.
    Has anyone here chosen to raise chickens and how did you pick the breed?

2. dilligaf

dilligaf Banned

Depends on what your looking for Duncan. If you want pretty chow chickens, broilers, fryers , layers etc,,,, They all have different traits n characteristics,,,,

The first ones i purchased here were sexlinks (redstars), all around layers and broilers,,,, Aracaunas were bought because i like the coloring and there eggs are neat n pretty and make people go wow! are those real or did you dye them . They lay a myriad of colors, pink blue, greens purples etc,,, and then we bought the polish crested chickens,,, pretty n fun to watch but dumb as a brick,,, and have to have covering cuz of the tophats on the head so they cant see well,,, also leads to them munching on each others feet cuz they are furry n they think its food...

The sex link have been good n good producers,,,, the aracaunas i enjoy the most,,, they are friendly n good layers n the eggs are still pretty to me ,,, the pollacks are kewl but not good for us here in all reality,,, other than as a showpiece,,, they do lay well though,,,

We broke dowen n bought an incubator recently since i could not get any of ours to brood and hatch some eggs,,, so now we have a bunch of mixxed breed funny looking chicks, some with top hats n some not,,, will be interesting to continue watchin them grow up n start there thing.... for a good explanation on types n what yer looking for look here n they will give you a good idea of the traits of each http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/category/standard_breed_chicks.html