Cholesterol

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Duncan, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Is it a vegetarian issue at all?

2. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Could someone tell me where this idea that cholesterol is bad for you? Did you know that about 70-80% of the cholesterol in body is made by the human body. There was a cholesterol lowering drug that was withdrawn from the Australian market as it proved to have some nasty side effects.
    http://www.tga.gov.au/docs/html/cerivast.htm

3. babovic_sonja

babovic_sonja Member

Ummmmm, no, I don't know where you got the idea that cholesterol is bad for you, Bilby... possibly from Nexus magazine? :D

Mmmmmmkay, there are two kinds of cholesterol, one is HDL cholesterol (High Density Lipoprotein), which is actually good for you, it slows down the process of arterosclerosis (your arteries constricting). However, LDL cholesterol speeds up the process, and is known as "bad" cholesterol... it speeds up the deposition of artheroma (fatty deposits on arteries, especially coronary arteries).

Now, we all get a little blood clot every now and again. Chances are, if your arteries are wide, not constricted by alcohol or nicotine, the blood clot can go straight through them, and cause you no harm at all. However, if your arteries are really narrow, then the clot stops at one point... causing a heart attack or a stroke.

So, anyway, a high amount of cholesterol in the blood, especially LDL cholesterol, will constrict (narrow) your arteries, increasing your chances of a heart attack.

So, ummm, yah, Bilby, that's why cholesterol is bad for ya :D I mean, if a heart attack isn't enough reason to avoid it, then I don't know what is...

4. DandelionPrincess

DandelionPrincess Member

I remember I "learned" about that in health class, but I guess I didn't pay enough attention, or didn't remember it, I don't know. btw, I know this is a general questions, but I'm looking for a general answer, what foods have the HDL cholesterol and which the LDL cholesterol?

5. DandelionPrincess

DandelionPrincess Member

your saying all the stuff is contained in meat, but I dont eat meat is it found anywhere else? but you also say our body can produce it and doesnt need it...so no need to worry about it?

6. cynical_otter

cynical_otter Bleh!

you have no clue how wrong you are.

I suggest you talk to an actual dietician or doctor before serving up such dangerous opinions.

the human brain needs cholesterol and protein in order to function.

and many NON-ANIMAL foods have cholesterol in them.

NUTS!!!!! many nuts are cholesterol-laden.

soybeans have cholesterol.

avocados and mangos have cholesterol.

vegetable oil has cholesterol

olive oil has cholesterol

you also need a certain amount of cholesterol for heart function,liver function.hormonal function...AND energy.

seriously Digga...how stupid can you get. Go have a cholesterol test right now...

if you have a zero cholesterol level..it's because you are a plant or mineral not a human. becays

you say you are a raw foodist...raw foodists have some of the highest cholesterol levels due to their nut-consumption.

you are seriously disturbed and dangerous person...I bet you promote anorexia and bulemia aswell as other eating disorders.

and BTW...humans have natural cholesterol because we are animals...it's in our muscle and fat...it's in our glands...it aids our hormones.

7. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

http://www.nutritiondata.com/index.html

link is to a nifty little tool that shows the nutritional breakdown of all foods. you can use it to find out how much cholesterol is present in a specific food.

also, if you're interested in cholesterol: run a google search for "oxidized cholesterol". you'll learn some interesting things... if you've never heard of it before.

8. cynical_otter

cynical_otter Bleh!

Digga again proving what a moron he is....I suppose this isnt a credible source on Cholesterol?

Digga claims to be more of an expert then the world's finast doctors and experts.

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=1516

read that and choke on it Digga.

and by the way...I AM FUCKING FEMALE!! EVERYONE ELSE ON THIS SITE SEEMS TO UNDERSTAND AND KNOW THIS BUT YOU!! IT EVEN SAYS IT IN MY PROFILE!

So quit calling me a "him".

9. clawsy

clawsy Member

what is that link ^^^ supposed to say cause i went there and it doesnt say much at all, have you pasted the wrong page or something?

10. Bilby

I am well aware of this theory.Actually Nexus mag says the reverse, that animal fat is good for you but not hydronated fats, some veg oils and margarine.
    Talking of Nexus our old friend Astro is right into coconut oil these days. The first copy of Nexus I bought had an article on the health benefits of of coconut oil.So there you are.
    My curly question is how come mankind has been consuming saturated animal fats for eons but it takes until the 1930's for heart attacks to become prevelant.A bit strange? A least smokers enjoy doing what they are do.I find it impossable to believe anyone actually likes the taste of margarine.What gets up my nose is that margarine is presented as being nutritious when in fact it is probably the biggest junk food of them all.Did you know that in the factory it is heated to a very high temperature and goes black? There is no way in the world I will touch that muck.Still I suppose it is good there are many people buying the awful stuff as butter would be far more expensive than it is.
    My original question was about what the research had been done to suggest that LDL is detremental to human health?

11. cynical_otter

cynical_otter Bleh!

I posted the website link.

if you go over to the lefthand side..you will see a list to click on.

there you learn where cholesterol is produced in the human body and why we need it.

they also explain the difference between unhealthy cholesterols and cholesterol that is essential to our body,developement,and function.and what our cholesterol levels should be in order to be healthy.

all of the pages are important info..so I posted the general link.

and if I feel like googling right now...I will find the list of foods that all contain healthy cholesterol...or healthy nutrients that contribute to good cholesterol developement.

12. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

that's the tricky part. :)

http://www.mycustompak.com/healthNotes/Concern/High_Cholesterol.htm

this is a pretty comprehensive page put together by nutritionists with about a zillion references at the bottom of the page. it's kindof slanted-- i dont agree with everything that they're saying (you know you can find research to back up almost anything these days if you have enough money. ;) ), but it's an interesting read. and it lists a lot of the foods that are supposed to help restore a healthier cholesterol balance.

13. Bilby

This page you have given mentions Cerivastatin - the very drug that was mentioned on the link I gave earlier being withdrawn from worldwide sale.Note the date August 2001. Is it not about time the above link was updated?

14. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

good eye, Bilby. at the bottom of the page, it actually says: Information expires December 2003 (who knew that info had an expiration date. :p )

15. Bilby

Right you are, but don't you think it is a bit dumb to mention a drug that was no longer available at the time (2002) of writing? I won't get into a slanging match but could I recommend this link instead www.westonaprice.org

16. DandelionPrincess

DandelionPrincess Member

17. clawsy

clawsy Member

im not vegan for my health, i do it for the animals not for me, and me being healthier is a bonus for sure. half those myths arent even myths, they are jsut talked there, to try make out veganism is bad.that myth page is such a load of spin rubbish imo. and i really like the bit about Korea being cruel to animals...yeah doesnt happen here, not in my town

18. Pablo

Pablo Member

Dang, people on the internet are always mad.

19. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

do you do the fermented foods thing? i'm starting to get into it a bit, but it's so different from what i'm used to--it's hard to get into a routine with it.

20. Bilby

I make my own bread if that is what you mean.But what has that got to do with the subject in question? Once I read about Cerivasta being withdrawn from sale, it dawned on me that saturated fat was not the maligned toxic substance it was supposed to be.