Chief Justice Rehnquist just died

Discussion in 'Politics' started by crystalstarr, Sep 3, 2005.

1. crystalstarr

crystalstarr Word

well here we go!

2. thespeez

thespeez Member

Probably like many who post here, I wasn't fond of many of his decisions. I do have to give credit where credit is due in recent times: I admire him for standing up for those states that voted to allow for the use of medical cannabis. I also laud his decision siding with the rights of property owners against eminent domain. It's too bad both of his decisions didn't prevail.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050904/ap_on_go_su_co/rehnquist_bio_box

It'll be interesting to see who Bush picks to replace him.

3. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

Rehnquist might have been the worst member of the Supreme Court. I hope Gonzales gets it... he deserves it. I don't agree with him on every political issue, but hes fairly moderate.

I'd probably support a lot of people who Focus On The Family are opposed to.

4. Megara

Megara Banned

It will be Scalia most likely.

RIP to him.

It will be sad to see him go; not many people still believe in states' rights

5. Raving Sultan

Raving Sultan Banned

That's a good template to follow. Vote for whoever those focus on the family freaks don't like.

6. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

he should be replaced with an ostrich.

7. makno

makno Senior Member

i hope it hurt real bad .

8. soulrebel51

how did he even die?

9. taxrefund90

taxrefund90 Member

why would you wish pain to someone?

the guy wasn't the best, but he stood up for what he believed in.

10. makno

makno Senior Member

he has risn from the grave like dracula.....

11. soulrebel51

So did Hitler.

12. makno

makno Senior Member

why dont you cry for all the poor bastards people like him torture for decades in fucking prisons ...

13. Nimrod's Apprentice

Nimrod's Apprentice Member

Funny how Bush now gets to appoint 2 judges to the supreme court. Caugh caugh New World Order Caugh.

14. Zoomie

Zoomie My mom is dead, ok?

It's the end of days, I tell ya...

In one week, we lose New Orleans, gasoline goes through the roof, and the HAIC (Head Asshole In Charge) gets to stack the supreme court.

I said before, grab ahold of somethin', we're about the get screwed... I retract that statement. Now that the religious right will be taking COMPLETE control, sex in any form for other than procreation will probably be outlawed. We're all un-fucked.

Good bye America, it was nice knowin' ya. Keep an eye out for those 4 riders.

15. Eugene

Eugene Senior Member

With bush's poll ratings where they are i don't expect that he'll have the political power to appoint a strong conservative constructionist to the court, more than likely he'll post a swing voter.

16. LickHERish

LickHERish Senior Member

Youre presuming that Bush, now having no reelection with which to concern himself, cares one whiff about poll fluctuations. They have avoided any real accountability for the bulk of their 2 term tenure and, in the fashion of ideological demagogues, it is doubtful they will miss this opportunity to install lifelong remnants of their ideological-ilk.

These criminals are patient and incremental in their plans.

17. thespeez

thespeez Member

18. thespeez

thespeez Member

If Bush were to appoint someone like O'Connor, I could live with that. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening. I think that we'll probably see someone like Scalia or Rehnquist.

19. Zoomie

Zoomie My mom is dead, ok?

That's really a non-sequitor if you look at the way the court has been voting of late. It was mostly the liberal contingency of the supreme court that struck down state laws legalizing pot/upheld the federal law against it. The three who voted against were the more conservative: O'connor (the swing vote, appointed by Reagan), Rehnquist and Thomas (the uber-conservative).

You can't count on the liberal vs. conservative court to hold any weight. If it was a liberal majority, by the line they carry, Abortion would be illegal federally, while if the conservatives dictated abortion law, it would be in the hands of the states to determine the legality of abortion. This is not supposition, it is historical fact based on past court rulings. The justices are well aware of this, which is why they have taken a basic "hands-off" approach to Roe v. Wade for so long.

I still say that W will get another staunch conservative (dare I say Christian?) on the bench before he leaves office. That is the true danger. It's only a matter of time before you'll have to prove your Sunday morning affiliation before you can exercise your constitutional rights.

20. Eugene

Eugene Senior Member

Although Bush claims that he doesn't read the polls, most politicans do. Y'see, when the approval rating for something goes below 50%, most people will not touch it with a ten yard stick, they don't want their names attached to something that might get them unelected.
    It's up to the congress to confirm the post, it's not like bush can just randomly pick someone and badabingbadaboom their in.
    If bush's approval continues to sink, then the congress will not act on anything he does, for fear of being associated with him and losing their seat.
    This is why his social security plan went all to hell.