Cheap, Easy, DIY fabric wall art!

Discussion in 'Home Decor and Household Tips' started by usfcat, Jun 24, 2007.

1. usfcat

usfcat CaterCreeps

I love this idea and it is so cheap and easy!
    The basic idea is a wooden square frame with fabric stretched over to the back and stapled or tacked on and then hung on the wall.

I purchased 8 foot long strips of wood for a dollar each at Home Depot. The picture I made was 2'x3'. So 2+2+3+3=10. So I reccommend buying at least 2 or more (stock up...you will get hooked to this idea!)
    Also make sure you buy picture hanging wire. Some galvanized steel wire (I used 22 gauge) can also be bought at Home Depot.
    Also, if you have a staple gun that makes it much easier, if not, buy a pack of thumb tacs.
    Also, you will need a saw and some hammer and nails.
    Lastly you of course need a fabric of choice. Heavier fabrics work best, slinkier fabrics are trickier.

Measure and cut the wood and if you have a drill or dremel drill bit, drill a hole to guide your nails when you start to assemble (this makes it MUCH easier than just hammering it in). Once you have assembled the frame, iron your fabric and lay it on the floor right side down. Attach picture wire then stretch fabric over frame and attach! Make sure you stretch it tight, but not so tight it ripples the fabric.

Enjoy! Here is a picture of mine!

[​IMG]

2. *Autumn*Epona*

*Autumn*Epona* Hemptress

Oh I love that! My bf is super crafty with wood working so I'm gonna ask him to do the frame for me! Thanks for the great idea!

3. usfcat

usfcat CaterCreeps

Your welcome :) Good luck!

4. black_cadillacs

black_cadillacs Member

i was thinking about doing this as well! i got some beautiful fabric but theres not enough for me to sew anything out of it. your's looks awesome!!!!

5. simran

simran Banned

6. Barabajagal1967

Barabajagal1967 Member

that is really cool, never would've thought of it

7. rkdmdmnrkldm

rkdmdmnrkldm Member

I know what I'll be doing with my Spiderman sheet this weekend!!! The GF will be so surprised.

8. filthyfury

filthyfury Member

rad! i wanna make a zebra-print one

9. guiltyconscience

guiltyconscience Member

Yeah this is a really great way to add color to your walls! If you don't wanna mess with the wood, you can always buy cheap canvas or recycle old canvas.

10. EarthChildOfPeace

EarthChildOfPeace Member

Ohh I just did this with a piece of sexy shiny silky red brocade type material, which then inspired me to paint my dresser deep, deep red, and then I threw some red candles around my room and now (after 15 bucks) it looks totally different and is a fresh new change :D

11. LikeanArtist

LikeanArtist Member

The canvas is lighter too, so not as difficult to hang.

Another idea on this one is to thumb tack ribbon around it diagonally. Use the tacks, where the ribbon overlaps. A bit of glue on the underside helps. It makes a personalized place to display pictures, concert tickets, whatever.

12. dmiller

dmiller Guest

Hey, as I see you seem to have solved the problems for everyone from the newest to the veteran members here who were lacking in ideas to make some innovations in their rooms. The comments of appreciation of others are already evident to me and I would just like to add my gratitude to you as this really helped my cause too. :) Also looking to get some Canvas photo making ideas.

13. Teale

Teale Member

neat idea :)
    i think i might try that!

14. stazzy04

stazzy04 Member

I love it! I'm moving in the next couple weeks into a place thats quite a bit larger than where I live now, and will need something to help fill the space. I'm so excited to do this project!

15. Emerson87

Emerson87 Member

what a great idea, im so going to do this!