Channel 4 defends Prince Harry kidnapping drama

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by odon, Oct 19, 2010.

1. odon

odon Slightly Popular

[​IMG]

Channel 4 has defended a dramatised documentary about the risk of Prince Harry being taken prisoner in Afghanistan after concerns from the head of the armed forces.
    The station said The Taking of Prince Harry was "a serious journalistic examination of a current issue".
    The one-off programme is scheduled to be shown on Channel 4 on Thursday.
    The Ministry of Defence has confirmed Air Chief Marshal Sir Jock Stirrup wrote to Channel 4 chairman Lord Burns.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news...h-prince-harry-hostage-drama-115875-22644371/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11564362

Fetishising something that will never happen for ratings..

2. TipsyGypsy

TipsyGypsy Light of a Fading Star

A lot of tv programmes are about things that will never happen, or are overly unrealistic.

3. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

ABC news was doing this kind of thing many years ago during their half-hour evening national news TV show. They would take a current real story and fantasize about what they thought might have happened. They would show a segment that was a dramatization based on conjecture, supposition, assumptions, opinion, and what-ifs. It blurred real news with fantasy and got bad reviews by the critics, so they stopped doing it

4. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

Talk about giving them ideas. But i'm all for Prince Harry getting kidnapped, anyways.

5. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

Hollywood will be stealing that idea soon, I'm sure. My brother could play Prince Harry, he looks just like him, minus the ginger hair.

6. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

When I woke-up on the morning of 9/11/01 and turned on the TV Set; I first thought I was watching an NBC News re-creation of a terrorist attack scenario, and 1 minute later when the first tower collapsed I was convinced it was a re-creation :eek:

Hotwater

7. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

lol, I'm a little sheltered, so Prince Harry joined the military? That's so silly, princes aren't supposed to join the military, that's not how it works. Anyway, I was confused when I read the title of this thread because I was like, "Prince Harry got kidnapped? When?" and then I saw the picture and I was like, "What??? No, that's too tabloid-esque." I'm glad it's not real because my mind almost exploded.

8. Chapter13

Chapter13 Member

i wonder wot the plot will be... the taliban do a secret dna test and blackmail the crown to stop them revealing who his real father is? :confused:

his brother swoops in in a helicopter and rescues him?

he runs out of factore 800 sunblock and despite miraculously escaping he fries to a crisp before he can reach the allied encampment?

he is beheaded when teh ransom isn't paid, the vid is shown on youtube .. and the brits rejoice as the ginger gene is removed from the royal genepool?

it could (not) be compulsive viewing :mickey:

9. deleted

deleted Visitor

haaaaaaaaaaa.. that little punk. hahaha a.... Roor.... it wouldnt surprise me if a coalition soldier put a bullet in his head for the fun of it....

kings and queens in battle.. how biblical. douche...

10. odon

odon Slightly Popular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2E4XUIPXdQ"]YouTube - Prince Harry in Helmand Southern Afghanistan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woCN_l6yDzM&feature=related"]YouTube - Princes William and Harry Talk Military Roles

:biker:

11. odon

odon Slightly Popular

What about the Prince of Wales?

12. odon

odon Slightly Popular

True. C4 seem to love this kind of thing. The thing is, some people take these things as gospel. Ok, perhaps not this one.

13. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

It's quite funny when he watches the rugby. He sits there and pretends to support Wales, but looks mortified when they are wining...

some prince :rolleyes:

14. odon

odon Slightly Popular

I'm sure too. Obviously American special ops will swoop in and save him. (No jokes folks, bad taste)

15. odon

odon Slightly Popular

Probably because it means he might have to speak to some Welsh people.

16. Kinky Ramona

Well, I'm a little put off that for some reason people are more concerned about Prince Harry getting kidnapped than anyone else. Like he's more important than anyone else. He gave up that importance when he chose to join the military and people need to accept that.

17. odon

odon Slightly Popular

To his credit, he agrees with you. (...and so do I)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG6cL3IVYmo"]YouTube - Prince Harry: "I Will Go Back And Fight"

18. Kinky Ramona

Oh, I have nothing but respect for him and think that it's wonderful that he's giving up his cushy life to help his fellow soldiers, and I'm glad to know that he realizes he's now one of them. But I don't see the need to put him on a pedestal any higher than any of those fighting alongside him.

19. odon

odon Slightly Popular

I don't know, either. Anybody else know? (Not you IB :biker: :p...)

20. TipsyGypsy

TipsyGypsy Light of a Fading Star

They might do, but things they dramatise do happen in real life often enough, so why not do a tv programme on it. Some things, yes, might be a little too out there, but I'm not one for hiding things away and living in a fluffy world.