Celebrating Jesus birthday

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by inthelibrary, Dec 25, 2018.

1. No one deserves that, no matter how nice they are.

2. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

not even flag day? it's one thing to not worship our lord jesus christ; you'll just burn in eternal hellfire fer that. but disrespect our flag? ya'll best get the hell out ma country afore i stick ma boot right up yer libral ass!

3. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

you could argue that a person is more boring if they need a holiday to give them an excuse to celebrate. i've never been a big fan of holidays myself, because i'd rather just have fun when i feel like it instead of when a calendar tells me i should.

bugsboner, Orison and inthelibrary like this.
  4. inthelibrary

inthelibrary Members

No way! Just like I would never pledge any allegiance to any flag or vote. No need to be any part of that. The flag is an idol

5. inthelibrary

inthelibrary Members

I am not a follower

6. inthelibrary

inthelibrary Members

This I completely agree with. It comes every year whether you like it or not. Celebrate everyday, not just the days you are told to celebrate

7. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

^ New years eve is seeming increasingly bizarre to me for this reason. As if Life knows what year it is and anything changes.

Orison likes this.
  8. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Well... we do need to start writing a different year on forms and checks... That can take a few months getting used to.

9. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Actually that's one thing I don't have a problem with. It's very rare I write the previous year. I think I did it once about twelve years ago. I remember where I was working at the time.

10. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

You try to follow the dogmas of the Jehova's witnesses. I don't mind people not celebrating holidays (not that passionately/intensively celebrating christmas or most other holidays myself) but yeah, best reasons are individual, personal. Self decided. You try to put it like its a logical self invented decision but its not. You're both obligated to not celebrate it and to be preachy about it.

11. Asmodean

Come on... new years is for people, not Life. People often greatly benefit from having a calender ;) If it seems that bizarre maybe you're looking at it the wrong way :-D

12. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i'm all over the place on that one. i think i put 2019 on a check last month. the worst is on my birthday, i always put it down as my birth year.

13. Christmas seems bizarre to me. Celebrating the birth of Christ, whose major achievement is that he died on the cross. And everyone is supposed to be merry, like, "Thank God this sweet person was born for us to sacrifice." It's weird. It also just seems weird that people actually have "a God." And that God was a person who died horrifically such a long time ago.

14. Asmodean

Maybe the pagan celebration and look out on this holiday suits you better. It is not that difficult to perceive other peoples religious convictions as bizarre (neither is there a need to be overly busy with how other people value it.. unless its out of sincere interest). Although you're also deliberately distorting things for your own amusement. Dying on the cross is not perceived as an achievement for either christians or nonchristians.

15. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

I think maybe you're looking at my post the wrong way.
    Having a calendar makes sense. Putting great import on celebrating on New Years Eve is a bit bizarre. Not saying people shouldn't do it.. just me realising I don't feel it is a significant event.

16. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

^ i'm right there with you. same with birthdays.

why don't we celebrate the first of the month while we're at it? actually some people do, but that's just people who are on government assistance.

Driftrue likes this.
  17. Maybe not an "achievement" per se, since it wasn't really his doing. But there's no denying that people focus on the crucifixion as what Jesus was ultimately good for, which is the absolution of sin. I find it very creepy. To celebrate his birth, because of his sacrifice. Normally people are adored for having it made, being kings or celebrities.

I find the whole notion of sacrificing animals or people to Gods kind of creepy, for that matter. What the story of Jesus teaches us is that same old idea that living sacrifice appeases gods. It's no different from the Aztecs, really. The only difference is, this God was appeased once. And you wouldn't think, actually, that God would be so easily connived. Like, God kept it a secret, but we found out...you can kill his son, or in some people's mind, kill his incarnation on Earth and guess what? All wrongdoing absolved! You're perfect in the eyes of God? Just seems like the opposite would be true. That we'd be in deep shit for what happened.

I guess what disturbs me is the glory. Like that song proclaiming "Christ is the Lord!" and all that. When being crucified is far from glorious. Hardly what one would think could ever happen to the Lord God, right? It just seems like a creepy, kind of greedy way to look at a baby. And then to act like everything's just good. Like Jesus will come back and wipe his hands and be like, "It actually didn't hurt that bad! Merry Christmas everyone!" I dunno. Yeah, I do kind of get off on the way religion can be so illogical and perhaps even backwards.

I'm kind of a believer in God as a force, but not as a sentient being. It's just so archaic it seems to hear people sing in chorus "Our God is an awesome God!" etc. Like there's some mythical person out there we have to appease somehow. Except...we don't have to appease him anymore. Because this God is just so easy to deal with. It's like people got really lucky that the true God is so easy to deal with.

18. Asmodean

Me neither. But I don't find it bizarre at all that other people find it more significant (or find it a good reason to party :p )
    Some birthday parties are fun, most not. I don't like having my own :p

19. deleted

deleted Visitor

Having begun in the Spirit, and made perfect in the flesh, died and returned to Spirit.. Don't think he cares about the whole crucifixion circus act to much, that was his job..

20. Isn't that kind of bullshit, though? It was no big deal to him, right? So why a big deal to us? It was just his job, as easy as 1, 2, 3. Like to him, he'd explain, "Oh, it's just a simple process really, something I got to do." And we're all like doting grandmother's being like, "But Jesus, that's so great, though!"

21. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I like holidays.

I think mostly people are just looking for an excuse to eat, drink, and be merry. Merrier than an average Tuesday.

And since we cant do that every day due to obesity, liver disease, and other consequences of overimbibing, not to mention schedule conflicts, we instead set aside certain special days of the year to feast and get drunk

Makes sense to me.