Celebrating Jesus Birthday

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by thefutureawaits, Dec 10, 2017.

1. thefutureawaits

thefutureawaits Members

1. The early Christians did not celebrate [Jesus’] birth because they considered the celebration of anyone’s birth to be a pagan custom.—The World Book Encyclopedia.

2. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Beautiful Anthropological fact! :)

[​IMG]

3. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Oh , that inner light . Merry Shiny Baby Day !

4. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

they also didnt wash before surgery

its an amazing thing that progress is

rjhangover and tumbling.dice like this.
  5. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

I believe thefutureawaits is Jehovah Witness . Like most everyone , sometimes the light is with
    them and then it's gone again . Celebration is for the moment of blessing . And they await the
    Peaceable Kingdom ... but , hey , don't vegan pagans live there gathered about a fire and singing ?

6. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

The germ theory of disease is just an idea anyway. Sickness, both physical and mental, is caused by evil spirits. Or God's wrath.

Aerianne likes this.
  7. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

As one who (or should one say) witch follows the Pagan faith, I am pleased to know that all the Olde (in this case YULE) traditions are still celebrated.
    Don't get me wrong Jesus - with his preaching of Peace, Equality care for Ecology and Environment, Long hair, barefoot, throwing out the money lenders and Rebelling against authority epitomises the Hippie philosophy - so, Lets hear it for the man ....

Orison likes this.
  8. deleted

deleted Visitor

why, Its not like Jesus is celebrating mine.

I have however had my birthday fall on Easter Sunday..

9. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

Since Jesus was conceived six months after John the Baptist, and we have established a likely date for John's birth, we need only move six months farther down the Jewish calendar to arrive at a likely date for the birth of Jesus. From the 15th day of the 1st month, Nisan, we go to the 15th day of the 7th month, Tishri. And what do we find on that date? It is the festival of Tabernacles! The 15th day of Tishri begins the third and last festival of the year to which all the men of Israel were to gather in Jerusalem for Temple services. (Lev 23:34)

Immanuel.

Isa 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

Immanuel means "God with us". The Son of God had come to dwell with, or tabernacle on earth with His people.

John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

The Feast of Tabernacles (Sukkot), occurs five days after the Day of Atonement, and is a festival of rejoicing and celebration of deliverance from slavery in Egypt (Leviticus 23:42-43).

Luke 2:7 And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.
    Luke 2:8 And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.
    Luke 2:9 And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.
    Luke 2:10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
    Luke 2:11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.

Why was there no room at the inn? Bethlehem is only about 5 miles from Jerusalem, and all the men of Israel had come to the Temple in Jerusalem to attend the festival of Booths/Ingathering/Tabernacles as required by the law of Moses (Exo. 23:14-17, 34:22-23, Deut 16:16). Every room for miles around Jerusalem would have been already taken by pilgrims, so all that Mary and Joseph could find for shelter was a stable. During Tabernacles, everyone was to live in temporary booths (Sukkot), as a memorial to Israel's pilgrimage out of Egypt - Lev. 23:42-43. The birth of the Savior, in what amounted to a temporary dwelling rather than a house, signaled the coming deliverance of God's people from slavery to sin, and their departing for the promised land, which is symbolized by Tabernacles.

Also of note is the fact that the Feast of Tabernacles is an eight day feast (Lev 23:36, 39). Why eight days? It may be because an infant was dedicated to God by performing circumcision on the eighth day after birth:

Luke 2:21 And when eight days were accomplished for the circumcising of the child, his name was called JESUS, which was so named of the angel before he was conceived in the womb.

So the infant Jesus would have been circumcised on the eighth and last day of the Feast of Tabernacles, a Sabbath day. The Jews today consider this a separate festival from Tabernacles, and they call it Shemini Atzeret.

What day was Jesus born?

Wow! My B-day is July 15th too!

10. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

Really, just a theory? Have you ever heard of science?

11. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I was being sarcastic.

rjhangover likes this.