Cats + Milk?

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by JayJ, Jan 27, 2005.

1. JayJ

JayJ Member

I've read in a lot of places that cats are lactose intolerant. Though everywhere I see, cats being fed milk and such. So which is true? Should I give my kitty some milk or nope?

2. bedlam

bedlam Senior Member

You can buy special milk for kittens. Usually so called normal milk gives kittens diarrhoea.
    My grown up cats drink normal milk however l water it down for them, them seem to like it.

3. Myranya

Myranya Slytherin Girl

I don't ever see people feeding cats milk, I think most people have learned it's not good for them. Only in books the myth seems to stick around, lots of stories relate of the terribly cliche'd 'cat gets a saucer of milk' bit. But I haven't seen it in real life, not here in the Netherlands and not when I lived in the US either.

4. bedlam

bedlam Senior Member

Mine only have the milk once a day. They like it at breakfast and hassel me for it as soon as l get up in the morning.

5. HighBlueSkies

HighBlueSkies Member

Most cats are lactose intolerant and should not be fed real milk. In the wild, once a kitten is weaned from its mom it never tastes milk again, so cats evolved to become lactose intolerant past a certain age. So, when a kitten is about three months old, it will start to become unable to digest the sugars in milk.

If you have a cat that does enjoy milk, there are many great milk substitutes made especially for cats. One of them is called Cat's Sip and you can probably find it at your local pet store.

I guess though that if you feed your cat real milk and it doesn't seem to get the runs afterward, then you are probably safe. Just don't feed your cat ONLY milk or it will die of malnutrition.

6. Faerie

Faerie Peachy

My cat loved milk, when she was a kitten.. now that shes all grown up... she wants nothing to do with it... if you put a bowl of milk and a bowl of water down she would go for the water... I wouldn't recomend feeding them milk, but if it likes it and it doesn't botter the cat... and i would look in the litterbox to make sure it doesn't bother them, then maybey once a week, i could see giving them a little milk watered down..

7. JayJ

JayJ Member

Alright then. Thanks! :)

8. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

I heard that you can test the cat out to see if it gives them problems. If not, a little bit every once and a while is a great treat.

I hardly ever give my cat milk. and there is special milk for kitties, but I hardly ever have milk for myself, much less my cat.

Sorry, kitty.