Catholicism and Politics

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Megara, May 23, 2004.

1. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

i think you're right, jerry. it's pretty bizarre. and you look at how highly sold that series of books about the second coming was, what was the name of that? people are really gung-ho to get this shit over with in their own time. i think they're going out of their way to do things to get the world to end. well, so far as i know, it's not gonna happen because we want it to, it'll happen when it happens. so what will we end up with? a pile of broken, bloody bodies, destroyed resources and no real end in sight. it's pretty sick.

2. Jozak

Jozak Member

My mistake then, but most priests are not pedophiles, it is a small percentage.

If you wish to discuss those things, be my guest. (Although the Catholic Church didn't have anything to do with the Salem Witch Trials that I know of) becasue I can almost gurantee you don't have the slightest knowledge about them, but maybe I am wrong. I am not trying to personally insult you, but the popular thing for uninformed people is to say, "Oh my god the Catholic Church is evil, just look at the Crusades!" without even knowing the true causes and the full reasons for it.

3. weaselpop

weaselpop Member

Of course you can - you can just go and confess to the priesty do a little prayar and you're all good. If i had to be religious and a christian I'd choose catholisism.

And my gran's a Catholic and has pretty liberal views. I'm pretty sure she's not anti-gay, though it's never come up in conversation. I reckon she would support a state based gay marraige thing. I don't know about her views on abortion, but I'm sure she wouldn't be for banning it.

4. Megara

Megara Banned

i dont think you can be a catholic if you dont follow what the pope says.....which is funny...because that means i'm not a real catholic...

But can i be a muslim that accepts jesus as the messiah, can i make that choice? I think there are certain precepts that you must adhere too to qualify as a member of that religion...and with a head of the church who dictates policy...it is kinda hard to ignore what he says

5. mynameiskc

i don't think you can, because they're still waiting for the messiah to come. muslims believe that christ was a great and wise teacher, but not the messiah. so if you're wanting to believe in christ as such, which is great with me, then follow the tenets of the muslim faith, you may then do so.

edit: at least that is my understanding from what reading i've done and discussions i've had.

6. CyberFly

CyberFly Banned

That "small percentage" does a lot of damage. Jozak, I never said all those events were "all" the fault of the Catholics, but they are not blameless either. You certainly try to put words in my mouth. :cool:

Imagine there's no countries . . . Nothing to kill or die for / No religion too / Imagine all the people / living life in peace. -John Lennon-

[​IMG]

"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum - "Such evil deeds could religion provoke.""

LUCTRETIUS (99-55BC)

7. mynameiskc

in response to the picture, the jews didn't kill jesus, the italians did.

8. LickHERish

LickHERish Senior Member

There was no Italy at that time, try Romans ;)

9. mynameiskc

ignorance is FUN! ;)