Catalonian Referendum

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Deleted member 157313, Oct 1, 2017.

1. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

Catalonia voted 80% to go independent in 2014, but the Spanish government wouldn't let them. They allowed the vote to go ahead that time but declared it unconsititional.

Now it's up to 90%.

The issue here is not how the referendum was executed, it was declared illegal before it even got started.

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Figured something like that yeah.

3. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

But seriously, its just pseudo communism, the EU

You have a centralized government that isnt even in your country, comprized of nationals not even nationals of your country telling you what to do, how to spend your money

It is neither tending towards pure democracy or the free market

The rest of the world doesnt really understand, because it doesnt really make any sense

You will probably tell me you are all one big happy family, and list benefits more on humanitarian grounds rather than economic reasons

But if you compare Europe to what you lot call Sth East Asia especially over the last 40 years, a region that pretty much does the opposite, remains self governing, somewhat xenophobic, the growth in that region vs Europe....then why do you need a central government.

Then there is the part where how do any of you know any better, have free trade agreements sure, but beyond that.....WHY?

I see China splitting into its respective states within the next 30 years, as the rich/poor gap expands in certain areas, many economists are predicting that

And if Brexit 10/20 years later does make Britain wealthier, think you will see a domino effect

4. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Catalonia is one of the wealthiest provinces of Espania, having something close to 20% of its GDP. It has lower unemployment then Spain.

I am thinking of the break-up of Yugoslovia, in the 90s, where it was the better off provinces who wanted out.

5. The Walking Dickhead

The president of Catalonia is reportedly about to declare independence, meanwhile the Spanish police are preparing to arrest him if he does.

There may be trouble ahead.... :yikes:

6. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

All the police brutality I've seen from Spain is enough to get me to support Catalonian independence

7. The Walking Dickhead

Meh. He bottled it. Says he's going to delay declaring independence until formal talks with the Spanish government are held.