Caravan Of Hondurans Headed To United States

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Aerianne, Oct 22, 2018.

1. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

There are two kinds of people in this world: Those who would use tear gas on mothers and children who wear diapers, and those who would refuse to do that.

snowtiggernd likes this.
  2. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

Before it was "White Judeo-Christians" it was middle eastern Jews who took land by force in the name of some omnipotent God who declared them to be Chosen. It's a heritage man. Blessed is he who does God's work.

3. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

Yeah, I just bet Pizzaro and Cortez thought they were doing God's work. Columbus must have been doing God's work when he wrote that letter about all the nine year old girls he had taken as slaves.

4. GuerrillaLorax

GuerrillaLorax along the peripheries of civilization

For those that don't know, there's a website set up to aid in rapid response solidarity efforts for the caravan: Commotion

5. deleted

deleted Visitor

6. Yea, but apparently it was the good kind. Trump is using the bad kind which he personally issues from a big cardboard box next to the desk in the oval office. I wonder if the stuff Obama issued was flavored in some way. Like candy or fruit. Not that it matters, his tear gas was still much nicer than mean old Trumps.

storch likes this.
  7. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

May I ask who you're referring to?

8. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Two things
    the link makes no mention of when and why Like was it against a cartel?

Since Obama is a low bar for cons should not Trump hold himself to a higher standard?

It's sad a man who served his country would buy into such anti-free tendencies I must say. You of all people should know better.

9. deleted

deleted Visitor

my service to our country, means defending against foreign and domestic invasion. .
    only on the Internet will people be so welcoming.

10. unfocusedanakin

It also means protecting democracy not fascism

You should read the statue of Liberty.

11. GuerrillaLorax

GuerrillaLorax along the peripheries of civilization

12. unfocusedanakin

What jobs or services do you feel you would not get if migrants can come?

13. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

14. Nice, injecting a little shame to the discussion. This is the very kind of tactic that ruins a discussion. Why get personal with people in a discussion like this? You can't possibly think it helps your case. Just the facts man.

15. unfocusedanakin

how is that "shame"

Member of the military should hold themselves to a high standard. When they do not they should be told. Orion shames himself. There is a reason why high ranking member of the military clash with Trump. For example the former SEAL who oversaw capturing Bin Ladin who is now a "Hillary voter" according to Trump since he said himself Trump is a threat to democracy. I also know former Marines who feel this way.

Sad you think I am the issue here. Behave as your job demands and civilians like me can not say what we can.

He's a nice guy and I can see he goes though a lot. I've posted on this site for years. This is why i see the decline in his mind. Lot of anger and irrational statements and I don't know where it comes from. I'm not saying I expert on everything.

It's not a two party thing it's seeing the essential way of American life compromised. If that bothers you then you are the "snow flake"

It's not a specific attack or Orison but the politics in general that tear gas children.

16. deleted

deleted Visitor

Why are you so concerned what I believe or do?.
    I shared the link.
    I'm not here for combat.

17. unfocusedanakin

Two reasons
    1. as a mod and combat vet you are vocal with your views which concern me
    2. These views are shared by many and I guess the site is a place I challenge them

18. When I was in the Navy, about a quarter the crew of my ship belonged in prison, the worst of the worst. So I don't have much faith in the myth of high standards in the military. It has improved somewhat I realize, but the stench is still there. We don't need a massive standing Army in this century. And we do NOT need "military families" or any other kind of camp followers.

The lines on the statue named "Liberty Lifts her Light" are not national policy. They're not codified into the US charter at all. They're a nice thought for their time and could serve as a suggestion, nothing more. And the US actually lived up to that suggestion for quite a long time. But like so many suggestions, the conditions of the times dictate how they can be bestowed.

On tear gassing children, have you seen the video of adults carrying children toward the gas (and the cameras)? There is a LOT of theater attached to this caravan which was probably planned long ago in anticipation of Hillary's "guaranteed" win. This is not to say that I fully trust any reporting on this problem, I don't think anyone should these days. The media is awash in corruption as they participate in politics far more than they actually report on it.

Also, the US is not a democracy and never has been. So trying to turn it into one will be a long and difficult process that will require the cessation of a lot of rights we depend on. Do we really want the majority to rule? Imagine the effect that would have on the most marginalized of our population. Some groups who wield great power today are only 1 or 2 percent of the population. Under democracy their voices will not be heard, they will be drowned out by the shouts of the majority.

Saying "you of all people should know better" is absolutely shaming someone. Unless you're trying to convey that he should think as you, then it's just a simple manipulation.

19. unfocusedanakin

As someone who did not sign up since at the time there was a war and I would rather take my engineering scholarship at a respected college I expect men of the military to have honor.

It is a trait I have found in those who rise in rank.

Sure lots of people join since they are fuck ups. But if you can not count on the military who can you count on?

20. I joined during the Cold War. All our ship did was sail around the Hawaiian islands and hold lots of practice drills. Once in a while we'd fire a missile that could have fed a small town for a year. And we did lots of painting.

The sense of honor you speak of was certainly there, though it was different for the officers as opposed to the enlisted men. The officers were more than happy keeping the class system intact and routinely shit on the enlisted. While they ate steaks, we ate government surplus. And that was normal.

I enlisted with the same expectations of honor and country you speak of. I was very disappointed by the reality of it. When my hitch was up, I got out and went to college. I almost volunteered again during Desert Shield, but by then my specialty was outmoded and morphed into fire control's field. So I got married instead!

unfocusedanakin likes this.