Can't sleep....HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by willowbaby89, Aug 22, 2005.

1. willowbaby89

willowbaby89 Member

I have always had a hard time sleeping,even if I do get to sleep Im still sleepy when I get up and even for the rest of the day.Sometimes ill get upwards of 9 hours of sleep and still be tired,i never wake up "refreshed" and I ALWAYS have bags and dark circles under my eyes,its so bad ppl at school think Im a druggie cuz i have "druggie eyes"(dont ask).My damn c**t doctor wont give me any sleeping pills because im 16(I just wanna slap her!!!!),any ideas on how to get better sleep,orany ideas on how to talk my doc into giving me any sleeping pills,I really need this advice badly!

2. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

I just buy sleeping pills from the store. Just don't copy my habit of taking tooooo many for to long. Learn to just sit & relax before going to bed & don't have any coffee or soda for a few hours before you want to sleep.
    Sorry, but maybe the doc is trying to do you a favor...sleeping pills are addictive. I know cuz I can take an amount in 1 week that most people take in 2 months.

3. Oz!

Oz! Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I usually feel more scoobied after sleeping on pills than if i don't sleep at all...they are shite...

hmm, good hot cup of chamomile tea is as good as owt to help yer sleep...

4. kayy

kayy Member

slleping pills are shit! dom some relaxing breating exercise/ yoga or go for a jogging! it works!

5. PurpleGel

PurpleGel Senior Member

i would highly recommend avoiding the pills--they will only make things worse at some point.

6. Size8

Size8 Member

It's all in your head. If you go to bed expecting not to sleep you wont sleep. Instead, get in the mind set that you are gona fall fast asleep. You have to empty your head of all your thoughts and think of nothing. Stay away from tablets ;)

Good Luck :)

7. PhotoGra1

PhotoGra1 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I have had trouble sleeping for 10 years. They don't want to give me Rx sleeping pills either. If you have a real disorder, it is not going to get any better. I take 2 Percogesic 1 night, then two orig. Dramamine the next night. Sometimes I add 1 mg of sublingual melatonin.

Good luck too you!

I REALLY want to try the new one, Lunesta. It isn't supposed to cause any hangover OR interfere with REM!

Good Stuff!

8. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

[​IMG]
    I get 3 cartoons on myyahoo page....this was 1 of today's

9. forest_pixie84

forest_pixie84 Senior Member

Do something that takes a lot of energy out of you, then put on a show that's good but won't demand too much of your attention, that works for me.

10. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

The following are brief descriptions of the major sleep disorders.

Intrinsic sleep disorders

These are disorders that originate or develop within the body.

1. Psychophysiological insomnia

People with psychophysiological insomnia react to situations that are psychologically stressful with bodily tension or other physical complaints, and they learn to associate certain things with emotions that prevent sleep. People with this disorder typically have a focused absorption on their sleep problems, which itself interferes with sleep.

2. Sleep state misperception

This disorder involves an honest complaint of insomnia or excessive sleepiness when there is no objective evidence that sleep is disturbed or lacking. Often seen in people in middle or late adulthood. They feel they are not able to sleep as long or as well as they could in former years.

3. Idiopathic insomnia

Idiopathic insomnia is a lifelong inability to get adequate sleep that has no observable cause. It is assumed that this difficulty is due to an abnormality of sleep-wake control systems in the brain. It may also be due to a problem in the sleep-inducing and -maintaining systems, or hyperactivity in the arousal systems.

4. Narcolepsy

Narcolepsy is a disorder characterized by excessive sleepiness, abnormal REM sleep, cataplexy, hypnagogic hallucinations, and problems sleeping at night.

5. Recurrent hypersomnia

People with this disorder have recurrent episodes of extreme sleepiness and huge sleep needs. Episodes of hypersomnia usually last several days to several weeks, and occur twice a year, on average (although they can occur as many as 12 times a year). Victims sleep as much as 18 to 20 hours a day during these episodes, waking only to eat and go to the bathroom.

6. Idiopathic hypersomnia

Idiopathic hypersomnia is a disorder in which the patient complains of excessive sleepiness and prolonged sleep at night. What distinguishes this disorder from normal long sleepers and narcoleptics is that in case of idiopathic hypersomnia, there are numerous episodes of non-REM sleep that last for up to two hours. For this reason, this disorder is sometimes called non-REM narcolepsy. Since extreme sleepiness and large sleep need can be a symptom of many other sleep disorders, like narcolepsy and sleep apnea, it's important that those be ruled out before making this diagnosis.

7. Posttraumatic hypersomnia

Excessive sleepiness that develops as the result of physical injury or disease in the central nervous system. It can be caused by brain injury, neurosurgery, infection, or spinal cord injury. The hypersomnia usually goes away over weeks or months.

8. Obstructive sleep apnea syndrome

In obstructive sleep apnea, breathing is blocked during sleep when the airway pulls shut. This causes sleep disruption, dropping oxygen levels in the blood, and cardiovascular problems.

9. Central sleep apnea syndrome

This is a rare type of apnea that occurs not when the throat is blocked but when the patient can't make the effort necessary to pull air into the lungs. It is usually the result of problems in the neurological control of breathing, or with the muscles associated with breathing.

10. Central alveolar hypoventilation syndrome

During sleep, everyone naturally takes less air into the lungs than when awake. If there are problems with gas exchange in the lungs (for instance, caused by emphysema), there may be problems getting enough oxygen during the night, and sleep is disturbed. Because we naturally take in a larger volume of oxygen during the day, there may not be similar problems during the day.

11. Periodic limb-movement disorder

PLM disorder occurs when the sleeper periodically moves a limb (usually a leg) in exactly the same way over the course of the night. A typical movement would be a kick or flex of the leg every 10 seconds. These movements disrupt sleep and lead to insomnia and daytime sleepiness.

12. Restless legs syndrome

This syndrome is characterized by uncomfortable feelings (tingling, itching, crawling, pulling, or aching, for example) in the legs right before falling asleep. These feelings are relieved by moving the legs but return when movement stops. This interferes with falling asleep and can cause severe insomnia.

11. ImmortalDissident

ImmortalDissident Senior Member

Just go out for a 20, 30 or 40 minute jog. I swear by it.

Depending on your athletic capabilities, just jog until you feel like dying. Then, when you come home, take a longish hot shower, and go to bed. It's amazing really.

I spent pretty much my entire life not sleeping, the same as you. People at school would always comment on how much I looked like shit, and I'd just tell them, "well you know, I like to wear my heart on my sleeve, I like to look exactly how I feel." I went through 13 years of school getting between .5 and 6 hours of sleep per night, including weekends. The life is shit, but there are always solutions. It just took me forever to realize that it was up to me, and not some metaphysical influence that would help my nights.

Of course, if you are anything like I was in school, you thrive on the sleepless nights. Sometimes you become dependent on them without knowing it. When I actually started sleeping well I didn't know what to do with myself because I'd never had that kind of energy and interest in doing anything.

...end of ramble.