Cannabis Smoking Not Linked To Lung Cancer, Case-Control Study Says

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by jo_k_er_man, May 24, 2006.

1. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

San Diego, CA: Smoking cannabis, even long-term, is not positively associated with increased incidence of lung-cancer, according to the findings of the largest population-based case-control study performed to date. Lead investigator Donald Tashkin of the David Geffen School of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, at the University of California-Los Angeles, presented the results at the 2006 International Conference of the American Thoracic Society in San Diego.

Investigators assessed the possible association between cannabis use and the risk of lung cancer in middle-aged adults (ages 18-59) living in Los Angeles. Researchers conducted interviews with 611 subjects with lung cancer and 1,040 controls matched for age, gender and neighborhood. Data was collected on lifetime marijuana use, as well as subjects' use of alcohol, tobacco and other drugs, diet, occupation, and family history of cancer. Investigators used a logistical regression model to estimate the effect of cannabis smoking on lung cancer risk, adjusting for age, gender, ethnicity, education, and cumulative tobacco smoking and alcohol use.

"We did not observer a positive association of marijuana use -- even heavy long-term use -- with lung cancer, controlling for tobacco smoking and other potential cofounders," investigators concluded. Their data further revealed that one subset of moderate lifetime users (10-<30 "joint years") actually had an inverse association between cannabis use and lung cancer. The study did report a 20-fold increased risk in heavy tobacco smokers.

The five-year trial was sponsored by the US National Institutes of Health (NIH).

NORML Senior Policy Analyst Paul Armentano said that Tashkin's findings reaffirm the results of prior case-control studies dismissing a causal link between cannabis use and certain types of lung and upper aerodigestive tract (UAT) cancers. These include: a 2001 John Hopkins University hospital-based case-control study that found neither "lifetime use" nor "ever use" of cannabis were associated with head, neck or lung cancer in younger adults; a 2004 University of Washington case-control study that found "no association" between cannabis use and incidents of oral cancer, regardless of how long, how much or how often individuals had used it; and a 1997 Kaiser Permanente retrospective cohort study that found that cannabis use was not associated with increased risks of developing tobacco-use related cancers of the lung and upper aerodigestive tract or other cancers in men and women who used marijuana but did not smoke tobacco.

"The most remarkable aspect of this study is that its findings are, in fact, unremarkable," Armentano said. "As has been previously reported by the US Institute of Medicine and others, there is no conclusive evidence that marijuana causes cancer in humans, including those cancers generally related to tobacco use."

Armentano suggested that cannabis consumers who desire the rapid onset of action associated with inhalation but who are concerned about the potential harms of noxious smoke can dramatically cut down on their intake of carcinogenic compounds by engaging in vaporization rather than smoking.

2. 40oz and chronic

40oz and chronic 'Nuff Said

3. NoVictimNoCrime

NoVictimNoCrime -

4. smokindude

smokindude Senior Member

want a cookie?

5. SirTokesAlot

SirTokesAlot Lives

I think he does.. here ya go..

[​IMG]

6. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

sorry that i was just tryin to inform you kids on the latest studies... i will not lower myself to your levels and turn it into another one of your typical flame threads....

7. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

i don't know the testing methods used, I'm guessing just interview, which is not the best method for convincing the government...though they don't really respond to any scientifically gained information relating to weed. i wish they would release a new/better study confirming or denying that THC can even benefit people with cancer, though this is a big step in the right direction.

8. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

yea.. this is a big step in the right direction.. this step if brought to national attention.. which it wont.. since this is the US.. study all you want.. if the government dont like it.. it wont make national news... but this would crush the smoking a joint is = to 4cigs myth.. yea.. i knew it was a myth before.. but like another show would say... This Myth is BUSTED!

9. NoVictimNoCrime

NoVictimNoCrime -

that was the stupidest response i have ever seen on these forums.

he posted information that (unlike so many other posts) actually pertains to the topic of this forum and that most of us would never have read otherwise.

10. passittotheleft

passittotheleft Senior Member

That cookie looks good.

11. 40oz and chronic

40oz and chronic 'Nuff Said

12. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

yeah, it is one of, if not the biggest control study on the subject in recent history. i read about it on the norml news yesterday.
    i would say that this is the equivalent of saying its BUSTED! ha ha.

13. Dazed-Jamie

Dazed-Jamie Member

haha sweet. thanks man, that was an encouraging part of my day.

14. WhisperingWoods

WhisperingWoods too far gone

Dude! This is bigger than I thought!

I just saw it on the G4 "Feed" which is a news program that pops up during commercial breaks.

That means that the general populace must be coming in contact with the information! Isn't that great? We're starting to have a breakthrough with the media as of late.

15. napolean inrags95

napolean inrags95 Member

thats good to know. too bad i still smoke cigarettes too.