Cannabis influence on brain

Discussion in 'Medicinal Cannabis and Marijuana' started by LecrameMark, Aug 21, 2019.

1. LecrameMark

LecrameMark Members

I just wonder if are there any chances if you smoke cannabis or cannabinoids to damage your brain?

DrRainbow likes this.
  2. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

never give up. there's always chances to damage your brain, no matter what you smoke!

FritzDaKatx2 and DrRainbow like this.
  3. LecrameMark

LecrameMark Members

Actually, I think that it does matter if you smoke or not.

DrRainbow likes this.
  4. LecrameMark

LecrameMark Members

Do you think so? If you are talking about CBD I think it should be recommended, at least I heard so.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    DrRainbow likes this.
  5. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

TrudginAcrossTheTundra Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Everything is bad for you in excess.
    Hence the wisdom "everything in moderation".

Running Horse and DrRainbow like this.
  6. srgreene

srgreene Members

I believe there is quite a bit of chance of it adversely affecting your brain. We know lipid soluble cannaboloids stay in your neurons for a long time (unlike, say, water soluble alcohol, which washes out of your body fairly quickly). We don't know exactly what it does, but it's up to no good! Prolonged use also damages libido.

The puerile “lol” comment below caused me to add this:

What are marijuana's long-term effects on the brain?

In part, it says this:

“A large longitudinal study in New Zealand found that persistent marijuana use disorder with frequent use starting in adolescence was associated with a loss of an average of 6 or up to 8 IQ points measured in mid-adulthood.43 Significantly, in that study, those who used marijuana heavily as teenagers and quit using as adults did not recover the lost IQ points.”

Admittedly, “association” does not prove causality, but it certainly provides a cautionary note.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  7. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

8. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Doctors have claimed everything from red meat to eggs are bad for you, only to change their minds. Note that Kellogs Corn Flakes, which have almost no nutritional value whatsoever, were invented by a doctor who sold them as healthfood. Although doctors knew damned well that smoking tobacco was bad for you as far back as the 1920s, they waited 40 years to decide to tell the public. Since the 1960s they've been trying their damnedest to prove that marijuana is unhealthy, only to prove that it is healthier and more useful than asperin. Their latest attempts to prove it is unhealthy focus on it promoting schizophrenia, but in over a century nobody has ever documented the existence of common sense anywhere in the world. The US is considered to have the best modern medicine on the planet, with countless foreigners coming here because we have some of the most advanced machines and technology available, but our mental health could not be worse, with the US having the highest rates of rape, abortion, divorce, child abuse, suicide, and homocide of any country in the developed world and the largest prison population in the history of the planet. One in ten Americans insists the sun revolves around the earth, and one in ten is on Prosaic alone.

Consider your sources. Currently physicians across the US are reporting burnout and fatigue, from rushing to develop AI programs to replace themselves. Inhaling any kind of smoke is hazarderous to your lungs, but smokeless bongs and other options finally exist, no thanks to physicians. If you drink alcohol, it is a very reasonable substitute that is much healthier and much less addictive. What it does to the brain that is known, is it increases the synaptic gap between neurons over time, and a little moderation is definitely called for. Don't smoke the crap day in and day out for decades, or you will likely pay the price.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    Bilby likes this.
  9. srgreene

srgreene Members

Mark, I'd like to blame my long ago (quite minimal) cannabis use for my having wandered over to drugabuse.com, a site unknown to me, tonight instead of drugabuse.gov, which I regard as authoritative. Sadly, I don't the the correlation is valid :~).

However, the .com site has a rather simpler format that the .gov site, and notes these statements from researchers in the field:

<<Researcher Dr. Elisabeth Jorandby notes, “This work suggests that marijuana use has damaging influences in the brain – particularly regions important in memory and learning and known to be affected by Alzheimer’s.”

Dr. Daniel Armen, study co-author, sees these results as a warning for marijuana users, stating, “Our research demonstrates that marijuana can have significant negative effects on brain function. The media has given the general impression that marijuana is a safe recreational drug, this research directly challenges that notion.”>>

The possible connection between marijuana and Alzheimer's symptoms is unsettling, even if it is not one that teens or 20-somethings will have much appreciation of unless they have encountered it in their lives.

I suppose you can listen to researchers in the field, or listen to someone who brings century old claims about Corn Flakes into a discussion of the health effects of marijuana. All this is not to say that marijuana may not have some therapeutic effects- but the potential downsides simply do not warrant the temporary pleasure of getting high.

Ref: Wait...Marijuana Can Increase My Risk of Alzheimer’s??

10. LecrameMark

LecrameMark Members

How do you know so much about weed?

11. srgreene

srgreene Members

I don't know much about weed or pharmacology. I just know how to google.

I have long regarded marijuana with suspicion; I do not want my airline pilot, or my school bus driver toking up. Frankly, I'm a bit suspicious about my physician or accountant. Research in the past decade, while perhaps not conclusive, has largely added to my uneasiness about young people, whose neuronal pathways don't "gel" until their mid 20's, using it on a regular basis.

12. Tyrsonswood

But it's okay if the pilot drinks...

13. srgreene

srgreene Members

Not before a flight .... lipid soluble cannabaloids stay in the body much longer.

14. Tyrsonswood

But the pilot isn't smoking right before the flight... And won't be "high" 12 hours later (or whatever time difference) when it's time for take-off. Don't confuse "drug test result" time periods and "being influenced by the drug" they are not the same. A guy can test "positive" on a Tuesday afternoon... The last time he smoked was the previous Friday evening... He woke up Saturday morning perfectly sober. He would have no problem flying your plane...

You don't "like" pot... I get that. But you also don't understand pot. Getting all your information from anti-pot sources does not make your perspective on the subject very well rounded.

15. LecrameMark

LecrameMark Members

@srgreene as I can understand you don't like those people that smoke weed and stuff that contain THC?

16. DrRainbow

DrRainbow Ambassador of Love

Our distant ancestors lived millions ago but they are our ancestors all the same. They did not hunt meat and they certainly never baked bread but we evolved from them all the same. This intake resulted in the magic that put us all on top of the food chain and meat and bread was being consumed millions of years later. Digesting smoke is rather new.

17. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

I've wondered if cannabis could have a mitigating effect on Alzheimers.
    Clearly we could benefit from detailed research.

scratcho likes this.
  18. Tyrsonswood

Apparently, it does. At least there is one study, (maybe more) that showed positive results.

19. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

I had a gut feeling it would. I'd watch my mom progress and think she acted like she was high or tripping sometimes. Really would have liked to try cannabis on her but no way to do so legally.

20. srgreene

srgreene Members

Why would you wonder about Alzheimers? Just because you wish it were so? Is there the slightest evidence to even suggest it might do that? But I agree, more research is needed, even though I think we may have different reasons for coming to that conclusion.