Canada extends mission in Afghanistan to 2011

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Aristartle, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Aristartle

Aristartle Snow Falling on Cedars Lifetime Supporter

So, it looks like we are staying in Afghanistan until 2011. The vote was today and it was 198 in favour, and 77 against.

Link

2. greenryder

greenryder Member

Not all that surprised. The Liberals want an election now as much as the majority of Canadians do.
    Although this was the only issue that the Liberals could/would have brought the government down on.

3. Aristartle

Yeah, I know. Nobody wants to bring down the government again in a vote of non-confidence. At least, nobody wants to be the party that brought it down. The Liberals don't have enough support to win a majority anyway.

There are other confidence votes ahead.

I'd love to see Harper fall from grace and seated back into the right side of the House.

4. MaximusXXX

MaximusXXX Senior Member

Well looks like a good friend of mine will be going to Afghanistan.

He's finishing 3rd year at RMC which if you don't know is where Canada gets its generals and he's told me from the beginning he'll be looking to go after his first year in training, which is the year after he graduates which takes him 4 years, so he's got 2008-09 and then 09-10 and depending on when the mission ends in terms of time of year he'll be there for at least a time.

5. acga5

acga5 Senior Member

only 6mo tours, americans get 15mo

6. Aristartle

Yeah, and it's all volunteer to go to Afghanistan. You don't get picked out of a hat.

7. acga5

acga5 Senior Member

well they can call you up but you can refuse, and you get cash for being in reserves, alota buddies of mine are in the reserves... get cash for training lol