Can Your Landlord Kick You Out For Smoking Weed?

Discussion in 'Paranoid?' started by ProudAtheist32490, Sep 9, 2016.

1. ProudAtheist32490

ProudAtheist32490 Member

Ok so I haven't rented my own apartment YET but I will be renting one here sometime in 2016!! But I just gotta question though about dealing with landlords! Let's say a landlord complains that they smell weed coming from your room or something! Can they legally kick you out for that? I was just wondering cause I might be one of those tenants that smokes a little reefer every now and then in the room or something!!! Thanks it would help a lot!

2. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

really simple way to figure it out, is it illegal where you live?

WritersPanic and Lynnbrown like this.
  3. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

Have they caught you with weed/smoking it?

Deny everything.

Depends really on your lease, country you live as to what rights you have.

1 person likes this.
  4. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

depends on where you are
    some places they can kick you out for no reason at all.

5. morrow

morrow Visitor

I would say just don't smoke it in the rental..

Courtney Green likes this.
  6. The Walking Dickhead

In the UK landlords must write to you in advance to gain access to the property, at least 24 hours. So you will have plenty of time to get rid of any smells that might be lingering. It's just your neighbours you will need to worry about, if they smell it they might be alright and not care or think it's your business or whatever, or they might be scum and grass you up to the cops.

I'd only really get paranoid about it if you're growing to be honest.

Most leases in the UK anyway specify that you are not allowed to partake in any illegal activities bla bla bla, and they can have you evicted for that but in the UK they need proof like a police conviction and then they have to go through the courts. Most landlords don't really care though, if they did they'd probably have to evict half the tenants they rent to, at the end of the day all they care about is if the place is being taken care of and is the rent money coming in on time.

7. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

They sure can.

8. Meliai

Meliai Banned

It sounds like the OP is talking about renting a room in someone 's house, in which case you should probably establish the house rules before you sign the lease. This person won't just be a landlord, they'll be a roommate so you'll want to make sure your lifestyles are compatible. It would be pretty rude to move in with some old church lady and fog out her spare bedroom every day.

If you're renting an apartment or your own house then the landlord must provide notice before doing an inspection so will likely never find out what you do there, and would likely not care as long as you pay your rent on time

1 person likes this.
  9. The Walking Dickhead

I once got accepted for a room in a house in Holland with a family. I had to fess up that I smoked hash and so then I didn't get the room.

10. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Ya.... Sure can.

They can also just call the cops and have you removed.

11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yep. :)

Courtney Green likes this.
  12. The Walking Dickhead

But they have to call the cops first and have you formally charged with a crime, so the point is just make sure they don't find out.

13. Laura325

Laura325 Members

is it more profitable to kick someone out and rent to a new tenant? answer probably lies here, if they kick you out you won't be paying them rent, of course they may be able to keep your deposit.

14. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

If they suspect you have weed, and you have weed, and the cops find that weed.... Where does this "formally charged" bit come in? After you are arrested for weed and removed from the apartment I would assume....

15. The Walking Dickhead

I guess things are different in the US and you have less rights than in the UK. You don't just get formally charged for weed if the cops turn up at your door because someone grasssed you up. Over here they need a good reason to enter your house. Supposing though you do get charged, and your landlord finds out about it, then they have to go through the courts to formally evict you, which can take months and there's no guarantee. It's not just a simple case of your landlord suspecting you off smoking weed, calling the cops and getting you kicked out, at least not in the UK. If we knew which country the OP was in it kinda might help...

16. The Walking Dickhead

Not in this country they can't.

17. storch

storch banned

When I smoked, I lived in an apartment complex. I was so paranoid about the neighbors smelling it that I took a kitchen chair into the bathroom and stood on it and made sure that all the smoke was sucked away by the ceiling-fan. Whatever roach was left was flushed down the toilet.

18. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

can? of course. will? probably not, unless you're doing something else stupid and the weed is just a convenient excuse.

19. magickman

magickman Supporters HipForums Supporter

maybe get one of those tabletop air fresheners that are supposed to absorb cigarette smoke to keep your place smelling good. And spray some Glade, or plug-in air fresheners.

20. themnax

themnax Senior Member

short answer: totally depends on where you live. what country. what part of that country.
    even different states in the u.s. and even different counties in some states have or apply different landlord/tennent restrictions.

also varies over time depending on ideologies in power.

some states, and the fed, can slap your landlord AND you in the slammer,
    for possession on the premisses.