Can you help me name this Kerouac book?

Discussion in 'Beat and Hippie Books' started by D_MAN, Jan 25, 2011.

1. D_MAN

D_MAN Member

I've only read On the Road by Kerouac, but I want to read another... no, no, now is not the time for suggestions... there already is a thread for that

I have found this one Kerouac book in a Barns and Noble, but the name escapes me.

It has a part of it where I think the main character is in SF... but he keeps saying he wishes he was in San Jose. It also references the Lick observatory, and talks about priests and football players by the train tracks (or seeing them from the train...)

^The reason I want to find this book again is that it references my high school in San Jose, Bellarmine. Kerouac mentions the jesuit priests, who teach at my school, coaching football.

I have done some research on it just online and searching through pdf copies of some of his works.... first of all, Kerouac loves the word "lick"... but from my searches I've sort of narrowed it down.

It's not On the Road (obv.)
    It's not Dharma Bums
    It's not Big Sur (obv. again)

I do not think it could be Visions of Gerard or the Subterraneans... but maybe Visions of Cody? Desolation Angels?

Any comment can help me. I'm sorry for such a demanding thread, but I just have to know. I plan on going to a bookstore this weekend to sort through books and find it. Which shouldn't take too long.

I don't remember the cover or anything... but it was a little before halfway in the book. Thanks again for the help!:2thumbsup:

2. prana

prana Member

Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
  3. D_MAN

D_MAN Member

Hmm thanks man... yea I'm starting to think Visions of Cody, esp. after talking with some of my friends.... and yea although most of his books are already about that area, the Los Gatos thing does help...

But I'll be sure to get back with ya'll after checkin this weekend...

4. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

remember this area was not as connected then as it is now.
    My copy of VoC is still packed, but I'm thinking priests and football triggered on that.

5. D_MAN

D_MAN Member

Well, of course a lot of things in this area have changed... I will be able to check Visions of Cody tomorrow...

But apparently(after I did some research on wiki) not only did Kerouac reference the College Park train station area, but Jack London did as well

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellarmine_College_Preparatory#History

Unfortunately, it does not give the works in which they did so!!! This is really getting on my nerves!! I will find out tomorrow..

6. Paisley Skye

Paisley Skye Member

i believe the book you are talking about is "the town and the city". paisley

7. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Found this:
    Did you know? Founded in 1851, Bellarmine is the oldest secondary school in the state. The school's property next to the College Park train station has its share of literary history. It was the "flag station" where Judge Miller's dog Buck was unwittingly delivered into a traitor's hands in Jack London's 1903 classic, "The Call of the Wild." In his poem "October in the Railroad Earth," Jack Kerouac described watching football, presumably the Bells, as he passed the station in the 1960 compilation "Lonesome Traveler."

http://www.bcp.org/news/detail.aspx?pageaction=ViewSinglePublic&LinkID=3196&ModuleID=152

from Bellarmine's own Web page!

8. nannymiss

nannymiss Banned

Having read and owning just about every Kerouac work, I can say he is not one of the greatest writers.. Though I do love him dearly.

Yup.