Can you be truly happy for someone else?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by bird_migration, May 11, 2004.

1. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Can you be truly happy for someone else or does jealousy or some other nasty feeling kick in?
    I want you to think about this thoroughly instead of an instant, thoughtless reply.

2. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

absolutely you can be truly happy without selfish feelings kicking in!

what about someone that has just gotten a new job and is super excited and you dont want a job. no jealousy there.

3. olhippie54

olhippie54 Touch Of Grey Lifetime Supporter

I know for me I can truely be happy for someone elses good fortune. My needs are small. And jealousy and envy is a virus I have no time for.

4. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

I love you guys, you are truly wonderful people!

5. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

Yes I think you can be truly happy for someone else without your own ego kicking in if you are happy with you.

If you are not truly happy or content with yourself then I think that there can be that little place in you that still will eventually wonder why them and not you though.

I think it depends on where you are in life and how deeply you really care about the person who gives you the good news about them.

6. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

Bird, did you eat up a bunch of esctasy today dahlin?

7. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

rotflmfao! good one trish

8. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

Yes, you can be truly happy for someone else without your own feelings kicking in, but the real question is, are you willing to?

I've been truly happy for someone else a few times in my life, but I will be honest that a lot of times my own feelings do kick in. If I watch myself closely, I can usually stop it from happening and just be happy for someone else. If I find myself starting to feel negative things, I realize that there's a bigger problem than the fact that I am not just truly happy for them. So then I try to figure out what it is and re-evaluate or re-prioritize my thought process.

9. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

I do not do drugs anymore.
    Karma hit me, honey, good karma.

10. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

I know! He's like Ghandi today!

I think it depends on the situation....like if someone you're in love with is happily in love with someone else and he's going to marry her and you can't think of a way to stop it, there isn't a lot of happiness there. Like, you're happy he's happy, but not really, because someday you're going to run into him in the grocery store with his ugly wife and their kids (who have his eyes) and you're going to have to pretend you're not surprised that they've been together this long and the whole time you're about to throw up and you're trying to think of a way to kill her with a can of Spaghettios.....

But, if my friend won the lottery, I'd be happy for him, because I'm sure he would give me something cool.

11. olhippie54

olhippie54 Touch Of Grey Lifetime Supporter

Maybe, he isn't right for you and a power greater then you knows what you don't.

12. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

i've gotten very good at it. it takes practice and a readjustment in your attitude

13. Bug_Man

Bug_Man Banned

It's easy to feel "truly" happy for your own family. Difficult for your friends.

14. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

I know I can truly be happy for someone, and even celebrate on their behalf, with no ego.

Now, I SAY I'm jealous when someone does or did something that I wish I could have done. "You met John Lennon?? I'm so jealous!" But that's just the lingo. It doesn't mean I'm steaming miffed that it wasn't me. I always look at the glass as always being half full and there always being a silver lining to every cloud. Maybe that sounds silly or naive, I don't know. But I always know I'm fortunate to have what I have. And if others have found something that makes them happy, then that makes me happy. Just because happiness is key! :)

15. beachbum7

beachbum7 Lookin' for any fun

I can be truly happy for someone else, although there are times when I feel like "I wish it could be me."

16. alex714

alex714 To the Left

who are you and what did you do with arjan?!
    birdy you are being so um...diffrent..today :confused:

17. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Hello sweety, I feel like a reborn person.
    The new bird believes in karma, love and happiness.
    I want to hug you so bad!!

18. alex714

alex714 To the Left

HAHA...right, well lets see how long this new bird wants to stay around

:D and you are more than welcome to hug me anytime.

19. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

BeachBum, you're in Japan?? Eek, I'm jealous! :D

Well...you know what I mean. ;) I've always wanted to go to Japan!

But anyway, *sends you a private message*. This thread isn't about me and Japan. Continue on...

20. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

The new bird is here to stay forever!
    I will spread the message of love throughout the hipfora and I hope people will spread the love outside the hipfora so we can have a revolution in the world.

A revolution of love.
    Yes, I too have a dream!