can we reincarnate as animals/plants as well as humans?

Discussion in 'Paganism' started by Little flower, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Little flower

Little flower Member

can we reincarnate as animals/plants as well as humans?

2. Sebbi

Sebbi Senior Member

I think we can but that it's not very common. I think we normally reincarnate as human.

On the other hand I think we, in a way, reincarnate as everything else at once, so it's a bit tricky.

Read "Karma and Rebirth" by Nagapriya.

Blessings

Sebbi

3. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

i want to come back as a cockroach. they're going to take over the world, you know. roaches are the only thing that can survive the nuclear holocaust. them, and twinkies.

4. Little flower

Little flower Member

i wanna come bk as a wolf, a pigeon or a indian cow

5. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

oh yeah, well us cockroaches are going to own your feathered ass! no twinkies for you! :p

6. Little flower

Little flower Member

lolllllllllllllllllllll

7. Little flower

Little flower Member

omg a saw sum cockroaches yesterday lol

8. BlackGuardXIII

BlackGuardXIII fera festiva

I don't believe we can, but I believe that animals can reincarnate as people. that is what i read in a buddhist book, that you can only come back at the same level or higher, so we can't go back to being animals. Maybe a dolphin or orca, since they might be higher.....or plants might be too......

I guess I am undecided.

9. cabdirazzaq

cabdirazzaq Member

Blackguard, thats because your criterion in this case is very marbled, if many people say different things about a certain thing one may find it hard to put one as a fowl and the other as fish.
    Would I classify as a source for this by the way, If I told you that you will reincarnate as a lard even though I never will, would you believe me?

Explain to me the difference between this explanation and the one you´ve read, would be interesting indeed.

10. deadonceagain

deadonceagain mankind is a plague

i think you can come back as anything most of the time if your a human you go back to human, i would like to come back as a tree and see the world change around me

11. Little flower

Little flower Member

sounds wonderful
    tell me about it when i c ya in the summerland :)

12. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Trees it seems, actually 'see' nothing, as they don't have eyes.

13. Zoomie

Zoomie My mom is dead, ok?

We don't only see with our eyes, BBB. We see with our minds as well. Try it sometime.

14. velvet

velvet Banned

Guess the answer to this depends on who you ask.. which religion. Personally.. I think that there are laws of karma which influence your next life.. plus that your soul will not be full grown untill it has experienced as much as possible. So maybe sometimes you reincarnate as something or someone that teaches your soul things that it didn't understand in a previous life.. or it gives you an upportunity to gain strength for a next life.. sth like that. It is nothing more than speculations.. but on of my views is that as soon as you are able to think about reincarnation you have reached a higher level of selfawareness.. like you're evolving..

hard to explain my views..

15. Zoomie

Zoomie My mom is dead, ok?

When I was younger and much angrier, I used to use the sig line, "When I die, I'm coming back as a bunch of broccoli, so YOU CAN ALL EAT ME!"

I still say it at work, when I catch hell for being such a freakshow (and proudly so).

16. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

I love pigeons - and oak trees. If reincarnation exists, and we have a choice as to what to come back as, I'd pick one of those two.

17. Professor Jumbo

Professor Jumbo Mr. Smarty Pants

I used to be a big ol fish, a Grouper I think. That was back in the mid 1500's. In the 1200's I was a big cedar tree over in Lebanon. I had been the cedar tree for several hundred years, but I died in the 1200's. In the 1950's I was a can of baked beans.[​IMG]

Seriously though, Hindus believe not only that we can come back as animals, but that we usually do come back as animals. I don't think that they believe that we canbe plants though. I don't know about anyother reicarnation beliefs.

18. Little flower

Little flower Member

thanks all

19. heron

heron Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Reincarnation, in the karmic eastern sense, is a system put in place by the gods of that part of the world, and is the thing that the Buddha taught them how to break.

Reincarnation as a whole is completly different than that.

the following is from a book i am writing, it covers my views on the subject

" The soul and the spirit are best thought of as two separate entities living in a symbiotic relationship. The soul is the piece of the Divine, or Creation, or how ever you label it, that makes us live. It's the energy in us, like our battery. The soul is transiet. It has lived in many things before you, and will live in many things after you, taking with it the memories of its many incarnations. We share those memories with our soul. I believe that this conscious is where we see "our past lives", and have memories that happen in another life time. These memories are not "ours" alone, they are the souls. Through the relationship, they are ours also. The memories of your life will be carried with the soul in its many migrations. It doesn't even have to have been in another human, which could justify many people feeling that they were an animal in "their former life"
    The spirit, on the other hand, is me, you, whoever. Its who we are. It is a product of our years, experiences and memories. YOU are who you are. YOU were not Cleopatra. YOU are you and that is all that matters. For no other reason than knowing for a fact that you have this life is enough. We learn and grow and take from life its lessons, and one day, when we die, we will still be ourselves. But as spiritual beings. Our spirit is a product of our conscience. Its what you believe that determines what happens. Buddhists for example, have the goal of non-existence. They strive to remove themselves from the cycle. They adopt the idea of "No Self" which, upon their enlightenment, means that they will exist no more after death. They divorce themselves from conscience. That is their choice, I personally don't want to not exist. I want to stay to protect my descendants, and to take my place amoung my ancestors. To not exist is such a waste.

In head hunting societies, the spirit can be trapped in the head by decapitation. This was especially true for the Celtic tribes, who would take the head of their enemy, so the ghost would not haunt them. I believe this to be true.

The spirit resides in the head, where our conscience is. The soul resides in the heart, where our energy comes from. It is said that upon losing your head, you continue to register sight, feeling, and thought. At least for up to 10 seconds.
    So that means that even though the body, and heart, are instantly dead, YOU, your conscience, lives on. Until the blood, and energy provided by the heart runs out. That is, when you become seperated from your soul."