Can some help me out here how long do i cook 4?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by akashawillow, Jan 6, 2005.

1. akashawillow

akashawillow Member

Well I come from a family that only eats meats and my mom or dad cant cook worth sh!t so we lived off of badly cooked meats and junk food.My mom never taught me how to cook and well i dont want to ask her to teach me because I know she cant cook good.I dont want to over cook the vegetables can any of you guys help me with tips on how long to cook them for or give me some website for vegetarian foods because as of now im only eating salads and soda and Im going crazy ! Help me out someone:eek:

2. Soulless||Chaos

Soulless||Chaos SelfInducedExistence

What sort of vegetables are you cooking?
    I just cook most things until they lok done to me, if you're not sure taste a bit and see how it is...

3. minjeig

minjeig Member

yeah, i just shove them in a pot of water and stick a knife in them every so often until they feel done. usually about 10 minutes but it depends on what vegetables they are i guess.

4. Boogabaah

Boogabaah I am not here

5. woodenfrog

woodenfrog Member

steemed vegies are good and easy so is baked.if you like fried food stuff like fried ocra or eegplant(breaded of course)is good.fried sminage won tons rock allso.lots of stuff you can make that is simple and good and no meat.keep serching the net,youll get the hang of it,its fun allso.maybee sometime when you find a good recipie and can cook it good,turn your family on to it.they might like it.oh and dump that soda down the drain and junk food belongs in the trash.
    green healing thoughts
    frog

6. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Member

Great Simple Recipe's that I found when becoming a vegetarian, mainly had to do with pasta. Pasta is extremely easy to cook (turn on your oven, put water in a pot, let it boil, add pasta, turn down oven a bit, let pasta cook while stirring, empty into strainer, serve) Now that you know how to cook veggies the way you like them, just add the veggies, maybe get your parents to buy some fresh garlic or onions (which you could chop up and heat in the microwave) or different spices you could add to spice things up. You could also make rice in the microwave for a change from the heaviness of pasta. I suggest going grocery shopping with your parents, they have all kinds of different easy vegetarian meals out there! Oh and always remember the internet is great for easy vegetararian recipe's...here's a favourite of mine!

Brown Rice Casserole

Ingredients (use vegan versions):

• 3 3/4 cups water
    • 1 cup brown rice
    • 1 cup chopped celery
    • 1/2 cup oignon (onion), chopped
    • 1 can (19 0z.) chopped tomatoes
    • 2 tablespoon flour
    • 2 teaspoon chili powder
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    • 1 cup frozen green peas
    • 1 cup chopped mushrooms
    Directions:

Bring 3 cups water to a boil, add rice and cook 45 minutes. Meanwhile, saute oignons (onions) and celery in a small amount of water until tender. Add tomatoes and mushrooms and bring to a boil, then simmer. Mix flour, seasonings and remaining water in separate bowl and then add to vegetables. Cook 3 minutes, or until thick. Add peas. Pour into an 8 cup casserole dish. Cover with rice and cook for 20 minutes, at 350%f.

Serves: 6

Preparation time: 25 minutes

Good luck in your cooking adventures! I'll have to say I was an awful cook and didn't know anything before I embarked on my Vegetarian path, and now I love to cook!

7. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

look around in used bookstores for Tassajara Cooking
    It is THE back-to basics, no-brainer vegetable cook book.
    Hiot the library and get the basics: Joy of Cooking, Better Homes and Gardens and read the veggie sections.Lots of basic info there.
    I usually steam veggies, or make stews.
    The trick is smaller pieces cook faster (the stir fry was a fuel-saving technique )

8. Elle

Elle Senior Member

Something I make all the time (especially when I'm hard up for time) is refried bean tacos. It's cheap and I think pretty good. All ya have to do is heat up the beans (from a can), heat up the taco shells in the oven for 2 minutes, and then put the beans in the shell with whatever else you want...cheese, sour cream, lettuce....whatever. The whole thing takes 5 minutes and super easy.