Can push ups get you ripped?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by FreshDacre, Jul 15, 2009.

1. FreshDacre

FreshDacre Senior Member

If someone where to do push ups every day for years and eat alot of protein, can they get big muscles like you would see on guys at a gym? I know lifting weights is more effecient, but my question is can you get the same results from push ups if you do them enough?

2. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

If there is one thing I learned studying martial arts is, large muscles don't always equal strength. It is the neural connection to the trained muscle that matters. :cool:

The size of your muscles, and your general physique has mostly to do with your genetics. People with large musculature are genetically endowed with that trait.
    Your own muscle mass can be increased, to a point, generally the limit being what your personal genetics will allow.
    Steroids are the only way to " cheat mother nature" in that respect, but the trade-off is shit like shriveled 'nads and brain cancer...:(

If Aesthetics is your only concern, acquiring good muscle tone should be your goal, not muscle bulk. If you workout and eat and rest properly, your strength will increase as well as your muscle mass. Side effects are better health!

My advice to you is find a system that works the entire body
    Jerry Robinson's "Weightless workout" is a good one http://www.home-gym.com/wewobyjero.html for those without access to a gym + trainer.

You know, some chicks think ripped muscles are gross, preferring a more "yoga body" ;)
    Try not to get too obsessed with your looks, and have fun getting fit!

ZW :cheers2:

3. deleted

deleted Visitor

^ nice post.
    :) they do if you wear a back pack full of rocks on your back.. :) Push ups are good for keeping the arms toned, puffs out the chest a bit. Helps keep the shoulders and joints in working order.. Good exercise for missionary position if you like to fuck like that.. :p

4. FreshDacre

FreshDacre Senior Member

Thanks guys that definately helped out. I know that my family is not really known to have very big muscles, so i do have to work alot harder. I already decided to never use steroids, that really is cheating your body and plus i like my balls. And yeah that was another one of my worries that doing push ups doesn't build muscle on very many areas of your body. I might end up going to the gym but yeah iv'e been lazy about that. And yeah, mabey some chicks think muscle is gross, but i know the majority think its hot. Not only that but it would give me more self respect. I don't plan on overdoing it, because i think too much muscle is gross too.
    Orison: That idea to put weight on your back is genious! I feel like a bitch for never thinking of that!! :)

5. deleted

deleted Visitor

40ld bag of dog food is the best imo.. But something like that, that is even, will not slip and slide and cause injury.

6. Yert

Yert Member

If you increase the size of your muscles, those specific muscles will be stronger. When you first start lifting near your maximum output, almost all your strength increases will be via improving the neural pathways, but these "noobie gainz" plateau very quickly. After that point, some hypertrophy (increased muscle mass) will be needed to keep getting stronger.

Anyone can become muscular and cut with proper diet and training. Your genetics do play a very large part in your muscle mass though, a lot of it is the individual's natural testosterone levels. The main benefit of steroids is increased testosterone btw, some people could take mild doses and still not be on a level playing field with their genetically endowed neighbors. Abusing the hell out of steroids will mess up your body, but mild doses have been shown to have beneficial effects even on healthy men. There's never been any evidence of shrinking balls or cancer, you're just regurgitating rubbish that you've heard unqualified people spout off about. In fact there is not one documented case of steroids resulting in the death of anyone. HBO did an interesting special on them a few years back. I've never ever taken any pharmecutical enhancers just for the record, just done my research and was planning on being a nutritionist / personal trainer at one point.

Muscle tone is just reducing your body fat until you can see your muscles. Muscle bulk is what you really want so that you don't have to stay at 5% bodyfat to see your hard work. Rep ranges are a very important part of whether or not your body will decide to pack on some muscle or decide it's in the way and cannibalize it for energy. Think about marothon runners, their legs get a shit ton of work and yet they remain like chopsticks. Doing thousands of reps will not get you anywhere size wise. Pushups are the same, try to keep your lifting exercise to 20 reps or less. If you can bust out 50 pushups with no problem, it becomes an endurance exercise and not so useful for muscle mass.

I don't feel it's natural to prefer the little boy look ... I never trust these girls. Luckily they're hard enough to find that it doesn't really matter.

7. Deranged

Deranged Senor Member

pushups'll help if you do enough of them, but like anything low weight/high rep, it'll mostly get you ripped...not big. like your muscles'll get more defined and a not a whole lot bigger (chest shoulders triceps). i'm pretty sure at least. i dunno, i remember i was doing TONS of pushups before i got my bench higher than it's ever been so it least helped somewhat there in strength gain.

and yeah, pretty much anyone can get huge and buff and all that if they put enough effort and time into it. but some people do have the natural strength advantage over the rest (naturally stronger or they gain strength quicker[me!]).

and it's all about the strength, not the looks, dammit.

8. Yert

Yert Member

Pushups will directly hit your chest, and triceps, with minor emphasis on your front delts. Your abs are contracted continuously as a stabilizer. If you did chinups and pushups with some type of leg movement, it would take you a long, long way.

You won't get a proportional, ripped look with just pushups, you might get a big chest but it would look a bit wierd compared to everything else. Also it's a good idea to give a muscle group about 48 hours rest between workouts so doing them every day probably wouldn't be ideal.

9. FreshDacre

FreshDacre Senior Member

Yeah, well i do push ups, pull ups, and crunches, so i thought everything would end up porportional by doing all those correct me if i'm wrong. And i had no idea you should rest your muscles 48 hours i have been doing push ups every day so i'm just wasting energy then??
    And deranged- Who says it's all about strength? thats a matter of opinion. I'm not saying i'm all about looks but i like both aspects.

10. lunarverse

lunarverse The Living End

I do cock push-ups

11. PurpByThePound

PurpByThePound purpetrator

how many can you do? my record is 1.5

the key to adding muscle weight by lifting is to do less reps with more weight - so if you want to add more muscle, put weights on your back like orison said

12. FreshDacre

FreshDacre Senior Member

Yeah i don't have a dog. But i'm sure i'll find something. You guys are full of it with your cock push ups. Why would someone even try that sounds so painful.:eek:

13. lunarverse

um yea....

14. lunarverse

mmmm, now I can do about 14

15. Yert

Yert Member

That's not a bad selection for an upper body workout. Usually 48 hours is a minimum for rest. As you get bigger and stronger your muscles can work so hard that you need a few days in between. Advanced guys often only hit any given muscle group once per week. You actually get stronger during the time you rest, the workout is just the stimulus that signals your body to adapt.

16. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

talk about spouting rubbish...

So you think steroids are cool. good for you...fuckin' meathead...

Muscle tone is the degree to which your muscles remain contracted while at rest.
    Your ignorance on this proves you don't know what the fuck you are talking about...

and for the "little boy body" crack....fuck you faggot!

out

Zw

17. Yert

Yert Member

That is the medical definition of muscle tone you are correct sir, but it doesn't apply to anything practical whatsoever, it's not the way people normally refer to the term, and it makes your suggestion of "aquiring good muscle tone" as a goal look really foolish. :eek:

I think the rest of your post was just meant to make me look good, so tyvm champ. Quick question though, are you one of those guys who idolizes Bruce Lee because you never learned to eat or train right and like to imagine that very small people can actually take big guys without the use of Jiu-Jitsu?

18. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

Bruce Lee was pretty fuckin ripped for a man from the land of the rising sun

19. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

Hey, Mr. testosterone... how's that premature balding comin' along?
    Bet that really helps score the chicks! hahahaha

20. FreshDacre

FreshDacre Senior Member

Lol he already said he never used any medical enhancers dumbass. Hes just backing up steroid use anyway. I have no problem with it, but not something i would do since i just don't consider it fair.