Can Pink Really Bring Janis Back To Life?

Discussion in 'Old Hippies' started by PoetDude39, Jan 19, 2005.

1. PoetDude39

PoetDude39 Member

There's was a lot of online talk a few months ago about how PINK was gonna play Janis in a major bio pic coming out in another year or so. It was supposed to be called: The Gospel According To Janis. Has anybody heard any news lately? I mean, every time I hear (for the last two decades!) that there's supposed to be a Janis flick in the making, it turns out to never get finished and released, etc. So I hope this one is the real deal.

I don't wanna judge PINK too harshly. Cuz I haven't listened to her stuff all that much. But can she really bring Janis back to life? Or did they just pick her cuz she's popular among all the young crowd, and they figured that would help big time to sell lots of tickets at the box office? So what do you think? I'd especially like to hear from some folks that might have heard Janis live. Cuz you might know better than the rest of us (I was only eight y/o when Janis died) if Pink is a good choice or not. I mean, I sure do hope this flick will help more folks discover Janis, and she'll finally get the kinda respect she deserves. I can't even remember the last time I heard a Janis tune on the radio.

Oh, and it's Pearl's birthday today. I think she would've been 62. *I'm raising my glass*

Peace,

~PD

"They laughed me out of class, out of town, and out of the state. So I'm goin' home."~Janis Joplin

2. sugarmaggie

sugarmaggie ~Green Eyed Devil~

Hmm..that's interesting. I'm not a fan of Pink's music, but I do like her. She seems like such a real, "in your face" type of person. I just bet she could pull that off well. She's got some big shoes to fill, we'll see I guess.

3. PoetDude39

PoetDude39 Member

Yeah, I just hope they actually make the flick. It seems like something always gets in the way. And it will be really cool if Pink can pull it off. Just have to wait and see.

Peace,

~PD

4. peacedaisy

peacedaisy Member

Pink as Janis??? Well, Pink does have that balls-out rebellion.... so maybe, just maybe she could do it. The only Janis is Janis.

Peace,
    Daisy

5. PoetDude39

PoetDude39 Member

"The only Janis is Janis."

Nice way to put it. And I think a lot of folks would agree with you.

Peace,

~PD

6. BlackGuardXIII

BlackGuardXIII fera festiva

Remember, there is only one Jim Morrison too but.....

Val Kilmer did an awesome job of playing him......maybe a better Jim Morrison than ol' stinky boots himself.........lol

7. MBintheOC

MBintheOC We're all mad here..

ol stinky boots...hahaha!:p Gotta love him:)

8. sugarmaggie

You are so right. He played an awesome Jim Morrison. That has to be one of my favorite movies. :)

9. velvet

velvet Banned

I think.. dare I say.. that I even think Val Kilmer is more purdy while playing Jim than the man himself :) Gotta love his music though :)

From what I heard and saw of Pink I think she's a good choice.. if she sings the songs herself it'll reck her voice though ;)

And I just hope that it doesn't turn all the kiddo's in big Pink/Janis fans.. like when the Spice Girls used the peace sign a lot and kids would come up to me and ask: "wow, are you a fan of the Spice Girls as well?".. and I had to explain the history of the symbol and everything.. hehe..

10. Silver Salamander

Silver Salamander Member

No, i don't think Pink is an apt choice. I am not a fan of musicians being offered lead acting roles simply because they are 'in your face' or popular...at the moment. Nor am I a fan of pop stars believing they are the next Olivier or Brando. They have the good fortune to be successful in their profession, there are plenty actors and musicians desperate for a break.

There are hundreds and hundreds of trained actresses out of work who have the singing ability and skill to play this part. They deserve to, not little Miss Pink.

11. sugarmaggie

I'm not a fan of Pink, nor pop stars popular at the moment. I just think she's got the attitude going on.

12. Southernman

Southernman Boarischer Rebell

Coming up next, the Life of Zappa, Marley or Rio Reiser and who should play them? I don't watch such fakes, at the moment I'm waiting, that this movie comes to my town for seeing the real Janis.

Festival Express

13. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I'd rather see a real actress play her and lip-synch the music, just like in the Doors movie. No one can duplicate Janis' voice but a real actress might be able to express her emotional turmoil as she went through the downward spiral that was her life.

14. sistermorphine

sistermorphine Member

I read that Renee Zellweger is playing Janis.

15. Pa_Hippie124

Pa_Hippie124 Member

16. PoetDude39

PoetDude39 Member

Yeah, that's something I heard too. It looks like 2 different flicks are being considered: One is sorta cleaned up (with approval of Joplin's family), and the other is more honest and truthful. But who knows what will happen in the end. I mean, I've been hearing about these movies about the wild life and times of Joplin for more than two decades. And not even one of 'em has been released so far.

Peace,

~PD

17. m6m

m6m Member

To sing the blues you have to live the blues.

Shit cotton, piss sweat, and carry the burden of rejection like the outcast you are!

Look at Janis's pitted face....this ain't no blond prom-queen!

Now look at Pink!

Talented though Pink is,
    do you really think she can look into the worn face or Mama Thorton, Bessy Smith, or Janis Joplin,
    and have the slightest idea of the desperate flames that lie burning behind those eyes?

Well if she can, then maybe there's something more to this generation than Daddy's credit cards.

18. PoetDude39

PoetDude39 Member

Very well said.

~PD

19. Mistress_Sassafras

Mistress_Sassafras Member

I don't know if there's any truth to this but wasn't The Rose with Bette Midler loosely based on Janis Joplin's life?

20. PoetDude39

PoetDude39 Member

Yeah, and "loosely" is the key word here. LOL. Although I did like Bette Midler in the flick, as long as I stopped comparing her to Janis. I know Janis's own brother has been way critical about The Rose almost from day one. And I heard the original screenplay was gonna be called: Pearl. And was supposed to have some actual Janis songs in it. And really focus on more of the facts. But Janis's family gave the whole project a big thumbs down. And no permission was given to use any of Joplin's songs, or directly mention Janis in the movie itself. Midler always described the flick as being "Janis-like." And in reality, the movie only becomes the story of Janis Joplin in the most obvious and superficial sorta way.

Peace,

~PD