Can my beard be my dreads?

Discussion in 'Rastafari' started by AfricaUnite, Jun 27, 2006.

1. AfricaUnite

AfricaUnite Member

Now I am not a practicing rasta, in fact I stopped smoking marijuana several months ago. However I do feel a certain...I dont know affinity to the Rastafari movement.

Anywho my problem is, I HATE long hair, I cut mine as short as I can, as I find long hair a bother. I do however have a pretty big beard going and I hate to cut/trim it. Is it a problem in the eyes of a rasta for someone to cut their hair? Could not shaving or trimming my beard be used as my "dreads". Or does it not matter and I should just do what I feel like?

2. heron

heron Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

i dont think it counts....and not smoking weed has nothing to do with anything. The dready head thing is so Jah can pluck up his followers from the ground.

3. AfricaUnite

AfricaUnite Member

If thats the reason true rasta's wear dreads it seems silly to me. I just dont believe im going to get picked up off the ground by my hair. I dont think I can ever be convinced of that.

4. heron

and that is why you arent rasta brother....and good on you.

5. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

errr...it was a reaction to the white culture created habits of straightening and conking.
    Dreads are what naturally happens to African hair left to its own devices. fiddled with and dreaded makes fashionable dreads (not dreads as fashion, just better looking ones- no judgement on how the locs came to be)

If you have simply affinity, yes, a beard could be your gesture to the concept of the natural man/woman.

6. AfricaUnite

AfricaUnite Member

cool drumminmama I like it

Heron the sigs must have been down when you posted that so I'll say it now, NICE BEARD. I havent got that beat yet, in time though.

7. heron

Thanks brother...it was much bigger...mustache over my bottom lip...and the sides were as long as the chin....but i trim in the summer...so thats my summer beard i suppose lol.....you wanna talk dreaded beards...talk to soaringeagle...

Glad to know you are all natural...thats why my beard stays so big...because mine is the face of my ancestors...and that is how men look.....at least of Northern European origin...

8. Enlightenedmind13

Enlightenedmind13 Member

Rasta have dreads solely due to a bible verse. i foget which. it states that a man shouldn't cut his hair. nothin to do with Jah pluckin from the ground.

9. ILoveHose-n-Pumps

ILoveHose-n-Pumps Member

Strangest thing. I NEVER liked hairkuts, even when I was a kid, I cried like a baby when I was a baby gettin a haircut. I ALWAYS liked somebody pullin on my hair. I always like when my Ol Lady pulls on my hair and plays with it. I just cant stand the thought of havin a pair of scisors anywheres near my head. I think scisors should be used on Herbs not hair. I aint had a haircut or a shave in bout 5 years now and I dont see it in my future. I dont wanna look like a Bush man. I think haircuts are somekinda club sighn they got together with one another. Its not that I love my hair in particular I love everything real, I just cant cut it and risk raisin a sign that says "Im with them Busheys"! Them oil mother fukkers. Them Koksukkers. Why would anyone want to immulate them. Mabey this is the real Rasta. Mabey its in everybody to find. Blessins Bruddas and Sisters

10. short-man420

short-man420 Member

the razor, the scissors, and the comb are the three items that rastas believe are what white people invented to supress the black man from expressing himself, so not shaving your beard is great to the rasta faith, but cutting your hair isn't. sorry to say.

11. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

yayua , this beard is three long dreadies to my bellybutton and i like to sing in the sacred language and make drums and play with little children . blessings to all who pull on my beard and i'm happier that you are so much more gentle now . be nature , be free . we be ok in the simple root . we become .

12. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

maaaaaaaaaaaaann, and I thought razors were to supress natural women! ;P

which leads to a silly o.t. quick question, if you'll indulge me: any pattern on shaving or not on women?