can is use body soap?

Discussion in 'Body Care' started by ayman, Sep 22, 2007.

1. ayman

ayman Member

hey there...im new here...

im from malaysia and trying to get some dreads, dr bronners shampoo is no where to found here in malaysia..

so can i use tea tree oil soap from bodyshop ( tonnes of body shop stores here in malaysia ) which is meant for body not hair??

thx for your help in advance..:)

2. HippieAdrien

HippieAdrien Member

sure, it might work. have you checked the net for bronners?

3. wanderin_blues

wanderin_blues Banned

it should work fine as long as its pure soap with no chemicals or weird stuff. read the ingredients and if it has good things like hemp, jojoba, olive oils, essential oils, aloe, etc. then go for it. if it has bad things like sodium laureth sulphate, artificial colours or scents, or preservatives then keep looking :)

4. soul_drummer

soul_drummer ~dready drummer~

i was going to say pretty much what everyone else said^^. i couldn't find any Bronner's for a while when i was back at home, but i found a herbal shop with some tea tree soap, so i used it.

one thing to remember is that bronner's isn't actually made for just hair. using it as a shampoo actually is not one of their "formal recommendations", lolol. it's made for many things, so as long as the body soap you have doesn't have any strange chemicals, and it's all natural, should be great^^

5. ayman

ayman Member

hippie adrian= yes..i did check the net.. and they(dr bronner's) doesnt have any dealers in malaysia or southeast asia region..but i did found a knottyboys shampoo dealer in my country but they r too far from my place plus it is really2 terribly super duper expansive!!

soul drummer = hahaha... i like the formal recommendation part... lol..

wanderin blues = here is the ingredients of the soap..its kinda has some ( alot! ) of chemicals in it.. which i think gonna hurt the dreads..hrmm.. need some advice..

Sodium Palmate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Water, Glycerin, Sorbitol, Palm Kernel Acid, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Sodium Chloride, Limonene, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Yellow 5, Blue 1

6. Leave Me Be

Leave Me Be Member

I agree with soul drummer.

7. wanderin_blues

wanderin_blues Banned

eww that has yucky things in it. i believe sodium palm kernelate is the same as sodium laureth sulphate, not to mention the random chemicals and colour... not good. is there a health food store type thing near you? (i dunno if thats more of a western thing lol) you need to find a really plain, pure soap. look for castile soap.

8. ayman

ayman Member

for your info... health food store is definitely a western thingy..lol..it is mainly because most of the people here grew veggies in their own backyard.. there is plenty of herbs stores around here because of our natural resouces but these stores are more likely towards medicine and internal health in general ie supplementary foods.

i think i hv found the right shampoo..it is i-green hair shampoo.i didnt notice it before..the ingredients looks nice.with no chemicals in it..here's the ingredients

Purified water, Vegetable-based soap, Leptospermum scoparium mel (manuka honey), Lavandula angustifolia (lavender essential oil), Melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree oil), Horsetail extract, Leptospermum scoparium (manuka essential oil), Grapefruit seed extract, Rosemary oil extract, Tocopheral (Vitamin E), Citric acid

9. wanderin_blues

wanderin_blues Banned

that sounds great, im sure your dreadies will love it :)

10. ayman

ayman Member

im gonna start my dreads as soon as i got my hands on the shampoo......i hope....

my hair is about 6 inch all around.. since it is too short for my liking to be backcombed.. i would most probably go fo the natural path with some twist and rip...anyway..who cares, as long as i get some dreadies.. :thumbsup:

thanks a lot for your help wanderin blues :)

11. sped

sped Member

That shampoo sounds great. Last time I was in Malaysia there was some dread stuff in Pinang and Malaka... But that was before I had my dreads so I cant remember if it was any good or not
    Good luck! And remember to post pics!

12. ayman

ayman Member

there are some dread stuff in pulau pinang which is far from my hometown in melaka..the shop in penang is the sole distributer of knotty boy products which is freakishly expansive... and unfortunately there is no more dread stuffs to be found anymore in melaka which is why i need to find something else..

thks.. i will post some pics when i got it started.

btw, here is the link to the shampoo...

http://www.ecosway.com/ecosway/mall_proddet.jsp?prsku=404413303&cat1=1950&cat2=2040&cat3=4044&cat_length=3

13. sped

sped Member

I remember there being a store opposite the main shopping centre in melaka called rastafari. It was quite expensive from memory, but there were beads... And the shop owner was really cool (and cute). I also bought a Randy Rhoades miniture guitar.

That shampoo looks pretty good. I look forward to seeing your locks as I too suffer from Malaysian hair...
    Peace

14. ayman

ayman Member

i didnt recall any shop called rastafari.. i dont know.. maybe i overlooked it ( feel so stupid right now cause its my HOMETOWN!!.. LOL...)

maybe ill try to look for that shop when im back cause im in my college right now and seldom go back because of those neck breaking ASSignments..haha...whatever..

what do you mean by suffereing from malaysian hair?? the dry and oilyness i guess because of the weather being "summer" all year long..huhuhu.. but then again.. who doesnt love summer?? i love living in my country and wouldnt want to migrate anywhere..huhu...

ok enough with all the shitty things that i said just now..hehe.. thks for the reply..

me 2..i couldnt wait for the day that i could say " i have freakin dreads!!" haha...

15. sped

sped Member

I'm half Malay... so I guess I dont really have full on Malaysian hair... But it has good and bad sides to consider. Firstly it's thick, and you have lots of it, so no problems with excessive scalp showing through or anything. Unfortunately, its super slippery, making it particularly hard to knot up, but that just means more patience. Also with malaysian weather, its always hot and humid, so your probably going to have to wash your hair heaps, at least it dries fast.

I swear there is a shop called rastafari... Its kinda hard to describe where it is and it might not even be there anymore.
    You know in the city how theres the main shopping centre, then accross the road theres that newer shopping centre with the entrance with all the ramps. If your on the road between the two, face the newer one. To the right of that main entrance should be a stair case, from memory if you keep going up the stair case it goes near the museum... Anywho, along the front of that staircase (perpendicular) is a row of shops, mostly food but theres a T-Shirt shop and further towards the main entrance is Rastafari. Im sorry, Ive written a book about it lol, but I have such fond memories of Malaysia... (I lived in Negeri Sembilan)
    Good luck with your dreads!