Can I just say...

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by Super_Grrl, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Super_Grrl

Super_Grrl Crazy love

that applying to college sucks and is WAY more complicated than it needs to be? Anyone who says that computers make things easier can SHUT THEIR PIE HOLE rofl sorry I'm just aggitated. I just don't understand why it has to be so hard. When I applied to university back in the day (and not really all that long ago) I filled out forms in pencil and sent them away. Period. Now it's all OCAS this and OCAS that and internet and clicking on boxes and it's enough to make a girls' head implode. *growl*

2. HippyFreek2004

HippyFreek2004 changed screen name

I hated applying to uni. It took so long and I filled in three forms for three different unis. Why couldn't they all just take the same damned form?

I think that's all I did my senior year, filling in forms and writing essays...

Holly

3. Small_Brown

Small_Brown Senior Member

I found the OCAS application to be VERY, VERY easy. Took me all of 20 minutes to do it. Selected my courses, filled out my info, paid online...and I was done. Should be getting some acceptances REAL soon :D. Feb 1st for people out of high school.

4. WharfRat

WharfRat Member

yah same thing here Small the applications took like 10 mins and if you got decent grades and SAT's or ACT's or any other test they dont give a shit about how good your essay is

5. Small_Brown

Oh, I live in Canada, we don't have to write an essay here. Just fill out your info, and wait. We also don't have to take SAT's or whatever those are.

6. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

ehehehe, I love not having to write essays for admittance

It takes forever to make your schedule here though... our univ doesn't have any online planning tools other than having class listings online.... so you make your schedule out on paper about three times, because you keep finding conflicts! And we register through the phones right now, but that should be changing within the next few years (though I will miss the melancholy voice of Ustar Bob)

it does take forever though. grr.

7. dawn_sky

dawn_sky Senior Member

So, um, what exactly is OCAS?

As for online applications, I don't know how many hours I spent on grad school apps this past fall... It really depended on the school -- some were better than basic paper apps, some must have been designed by a nimrod.

8. HighBlueSkies

HighBlueSkies Member

I wouldn't take that advice to heart. I would still put time and thought into any essay you are sending out to potential colleges, ESPECIALLY if its the school you really want to go to.

Think about it: Why would they even ask you to write an essay if it didn't matter?

Your essays do matter. They are supposed to be a reflection of who you are, give you a chance to explain any discrepancies in your school record, show off your grammar/language skills, etc.

9. Becknudefck

Becknudefck Senior Member

I dont think its as much of a hassle for everyone. it was easy for my brother, just sorting out his apartment was a hassle.

10. Small_Brown

OCAS = Ontario College Application Services.

You go online at their site and fill in your info. Next you choose your courses at different colleges *up to 3 different colleges, 5 courses* and pay the $80 fee. You have just applied to college. No sending out papers to different schools like univ, or sending out essays or doing SAT's or whatever the hell those are. Then you play the waiting game, as I am currently doing. Hours applying? Wow. In total I spent maybe 10 minutes filling my stuff out.