Can ADT security spy on you?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by lunarverse, Aug 10, 2011.

1. lunarverse

lunarverse The Living End

Yesterday morning before work I was watching CNN when this commercial for ADT security came on. In the commercial it was stated that they have this feature where you can have cameras installed in your house and can then log on to (I assume ADT's) a website and watch the live feed of the cameras in your house. You know, to make sure there isn't anyone in there who isn't supposed to be..

But, given the nature of the internet and the lack of education on privacy and rights, couldn't someone, say ADT, potentially have access to the live feed of the cameras their people installed in your home? One is also able to access the feature from their cellphone.

Perhaps it's nothing, just something I found a little questionable.

This isn't the exact commercial, but it's the same product;

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKtWHgDeuq8&feature=relmfu

2. Lodog

Lodog ¿

It's a good thing I don't feel the need to spy on my cat when I'm not here.

If someone is stupid enough to trust a corporation so be it. It doesn't hurt to question.

3. lunarverse

What if your cat was holding regular meetings for Al Qaeda in your house, wouldn't you want to know? I bet ADT would...

newbie-one likes this.
  4. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i see a lot of products on tv bragging up features that i can't imagine anyone actually wanting.

5. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

this shit is retarded to me. ppl ooh and ahh and bust a nut over bells and whistles.. its relatively simple technology combined with novel applications.. like remote control or push button ignition on a car or all of the iphone apps.. ppl, we put a a man on the moon 42 years ago and they are going to bust a nut over a damn phone that can scan barcodes.. woot

6. lunarverse

I don't find it all that impressive. However I do find its potential use as a means to spy on customers kind of disturbing.

7. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

Some folks don't know what they want and are highly suggestible- they can be convinced they want something simply by it's aggressive promotion. Taking a moment to reflect on how and why people vote the way they do says many people can be talked into just about anything.

8. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

Can they? Absolutely. Do they? More questionable. But it's just flat-out stupid (dumb dumb dumb DUMB) to let a corporation come and put cameras all throughout your house because if you can access that shit from their website and your cell phone, then who else can? I suppose anyone stupid enough to fall for that deserves to be spied on.

9. deleted

deleted Visitor

I worked for ATD.. Actually Ive never mentioned it before because...
    they are the most asinine security firm next to Guardian....

you want a security camera, set up skype and make it private.. Just like setting up a nanny cam.

Eric! likes this.
  10. lunarverse

Do you think there's a possibility they'd use those cameras in a way that would invade their customers' privacy?

11. deleted

deleted Visitor

They could of course.. But much the time the system is not activated unless an alarm code is sent to the Center. Majority the time the camera system is disabled for a private residence til the Resident allows access.. If the alarm is tripped during such a break in- residence are told. Privacy and Decency may be compromised. Most owners understand til. As well nobody is going to put on a ton of clothing to investigate a break in. Cameras can be disabled by the owners by either the online app with the center, pulling out the cord, or covering them up.. (cameras not verified Disabled will receive a police officer visit.

Most security firms like this set up the Cameras in locations the resident knows will be monitored. Say: doorways, garage doors, outside window, interior window with easy outside entrance <like a patio door.

When I worked for them : I was partially an installer and control room tech. Many times telling homeowners you are wasting your money - probably the reason the company and I did not get along.. :)

Eric! likes this.
  12. Andy Cole

Andy Cole Members

In fact, now there is no private life, because to monitor a person through his own mobile phone / smartphone has become very simple. And the reason here lies in the imperfection of the security system of the phone itself and the ability to connect to the Internet. And for such purposes is a spy program from Google, which works with the account. And it works on the android phone tracker application, where all owners of such software have accounts in Google.

13. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I have ADT, and my cameras face the exits and entrances, that's mainly it. I mainly got it to protect my family. Sure there's pros and cons to technology as this, but I think the pros far more outweigh the cons. If something gets set off, we immediately get a call. That, along with my home defenses, gives me much comfort.

14. lode

lode Banned

Yes. They can also be hacked.

They can also be defeated by Hack RF or another software defined radio. Make them loop coverage. (Like in the movies!)

That said, both require a much more sophisticated attacker than one would usually assume would break into a house, which is I think what most people are trying to defend against.

themnax likes this.
  15. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

My cat has been eating halal lately and has grown a beard. I think it's a red flag.

16. themnax

themnax Senior Member

anyone with the right knowledge and skill, or in the case of government agencies (or well funded corporate interests) simply the resources, can hack into any number of things,
    hell anyone who's carrying a cell phone can be located.
    you either accept this as no big deal, or take measures to avoid creating channels.

as for a.d.t. and other security providers, they're linked through the landline as well as cell phone networks, so they are always thus potentially vulnerable to back hacking.
    (there's fire walls and then there's fire walls, but when governments quietly demand they be breachable, they generally are.
    the interbank network was as close to infinitely secure as anything could be, until raygun era demanded they cease using the near infinite encoding method they had been)

anything that is transmitted electronically can be 'hacked'. at leas potentially. even the military. and the hackers can be hacked back too, as witness the dutch capture of russian security cameras watching the russian hackers hack the u.s.

there's no such thing as a secure communication outside of face to face in a soundproof room several hundred feet underground.

never has been. there is statistical security though, in the sense of avoid giving cause or interest to look.
    then there's still random. but we live in a statistical universe. and that's as secure as there is to get.

17. themnax

themnax Senior Member

actually this vulnerability has existed and been inherent in ALL telecommunication technologies, from the day the first telegraph wire was strung, back in the 1800s.