Camping Ritual

Discussion in 'Seafood' started by Mrs. White, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Mrs. White

Mrs. White Member

So this year my husband and I obtained a new camping ritual.

You will need BIG HUGE shrimp.
    Skewer.
    Nice hot coals from camp fire

They are totally awesome. I leave the shell on, skewer and cook over the fire. Cook in hot coals until done and let cool for a minute. Then enjoy. We do the same with lobster tail also.

There's nothing like camping in the woods eating seafood :) I hope you all try this and enjoy.

2. rastapasta

rastapasta Member

I can get shrimp where im at, lobster might be tough, but hell if you go campin around here you are definately alligator bait. i hate it.

3. Olympic-Bullshitter

Olympic-Bullshitter Banned

Fish cooks rather quickly this way. Use a clean board or split a piece of firewood at least 6 inches in diameter. Outline the meat on the board at intervals with nails. With string, lace from nail to nail across the meat to hold in place. Baste with oil and salt. Place the meat toward the fire, not too near, or the wood might catch fire. Fish or any meat about 1/2- to 1- inch thick can be cooked this way. Sorrel sauce is particularly good with simply cooked fish. 1/2lb sorrel leaves, finely chopped. 1/4 cup dry white wine. 1/2 cup butter, softened. pinch of ground mace. Combine the ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for about 20 minutes. Puree in a food processor or blender. Serve hot. Here's a simple spice rub. Combine 1 teaspoon each of chili powder, curry powder,coriander, cumin, mustard powder,salt and sugar. Sprinkle 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons over each oil brushed filet before cooking.