Bye

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by nlove, May 9, 2007.

1. nlove

nlove Member

I haven't been here long at all, but I find what I see somewhat alarming. I see plenty of medical adivice being given by all different people who have no education in these matters except motherhood. And as a mommy of three, I know you believe you know what is best. But everyone is different. Also, while I don't feel that we should shame a girl who is pregnant in her mid teens, I don't feel it's great to throw some kind of Well done parade. Sweetie, I hope you use your head and heart seriously, and get some advice from some REAL experts, not just on a message board. ANd everyone means the best, I know that.
    I just find many things mind numbing. Have a wonderful life, all of you ladies.
    P.S. Many of you are soooo misinformed it's scary.

2. not having to do with women issues so much...

but I have found advice from my own doctors, who were not educated in or willing to give advice on my perdicaments, to be nothing. Yes, experts are good to have, but their human like us.

You know a couple hundred years they were cutting people open everytime they had a problem, killing more patients than they saved. Doctor's know something, but not everything. They're only touching on the head of an iceburg (and I am a past medical student, dropped out, not b/c of grades but from morals, I am a Phi Teppa Member, part of an internation honor society, so in other words I am not dumb, I just don't agree with the medical profession)

But anyways, I found out in my adult years I've been a sufferor from sleep paraylysis my whole life, which I knew but did not have a diagnostic for. The Doctors I went to did not know about it, and even accused me of lying (most medical professionals do not know about it, but yet it is estimated to happen to 1/3 of people, at least once, according to the material I have read) It is real and I found a support group to deal with it and have even overcome it for the most part. Doctors meanwhile abandoned me, even though I showed signs of something wrong while wearing a 24 hour heart monitor, they said fuck, we don't know so it is not so.

But anyways, I saw as a young girl doctors disagnosing people to make money when nothing was wrong and was even proven so later on. I do not trust these professionals with my life and one day I'm going to come out with the shit I saw, but I'm not ready yet. One day though I'm gonna rott their profession for what they do to inncoent people (not all doctors, I guess I've just been unlucky)

3. barefoot_kirstyn

barefoot_kirstyn belly flop

since you're saying bye, I highly doubt that you are going to read this, but I do have an opinion to share.
    Yes, many people are uninformed. But that doesn't stop people from saying what they believe to be right or true. I think that it is sad that you're leaving this place because you think people's well-meant advice is wrong. I don't think anyone here is out to hurt another person at all. It is the OP's responsibility to take what people on here are saying with a grain of salt. It is afterall, the internet.
    That being said, there are some medical professionals who do come to this site, and their opinions are highly valued. I had an extemely difficult time breastfeeding my daughter after she was born and with no help from the lactation consultants around here, I posted a message asking for help. I got exactily what I needed, maggie surgar, one of the moderators and a board certified consultant, helped me to figure out what my problem may have been. Sure enough, I was diagnosed with that problem after it going somehow "unnoticed" by the LC I was seeing here. Had it not been for her advice, I would still be in the dark since I didn't even know my problme existed.
    I would also like to say that I personally enjoy giving advice, sometimes on the medical side, if I have any remote clue what I am talking about. BUT, if you read most people's responses, they also include a, "see a doctor" line in there somewhere. I find that people come here looking for opinions as to what they're problem may be.
    Anywho, I think that it's sad that you're leaving a great community for such a trivial reason.

4. SugarStash

SugarStash Member

Just a quick note. To the OP, although you are entitled to your opinion, I think that if you had really looked around all that much, you would have noticed that, in most cases, if the problem seems to be a serious one, most of the recommendations the poster gets include a suggestion to go to the doctor. Also, as far as congratulating a pregnant 14 year old, don't you think that she's getting enough judgement from all sides? No one is saying that 14 year olds SHOULD have kids, but if she's already pregnant, berating her does no one any good, least of all her. I'd say pregnancy is pretty nervewracking at any age. A little encouragement can only help.

5. Bumble

Bumble Senior Member

okay, in my own experience I have found poeple more education in certain areas, then a person who has a degree in that area. You can take a lot of classes and repeat what a professor told you, but if you never applied it to a situation, then you don't know what you are talking about. I believe if a mama went through delivery and child rearing, then she does know what she is talking about. I'm not expert on these things because I'm not a mama, but I see mamas around me who do know all about this stuff. I think it is quite obvious that people should not take advice from a message board as the only form of advice, but a person on a messageboard could know what they are talking about. For an example, a lot of doctors are not trained in breastfeeding and I have seen a lot of good topics discussed about this because doctors were pushing formula instead, but the mama wanted to breastfeed. Why exactly did you have to annouce the fact that you are leaving for good?

I agree with SugarStash, she is getting judgements from both sides. If you keep degrading her, then that will put stress on her, which may do harm to the baby.

6. Poem~Girl

Poem~Girl Member

??? where does it say a 14 yr old is pregnant or wants to get pregnant??

7. yarrow_sun

yarrow_sun Member

As in every area of life, here too you will find different opinions, experiences, thoughts, and feelings. You don't have to agree with every thing you read to benefit from the forum.

Good luck in your search for people just like you.

8. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

How old were you with your first? What gives YOU the right to judge anyone here? Are you a doctor? Do you have any experience in the medical field?
    If a mid-teen gets pregnant, that's her business. I was 19 years old and STILL heard crap from everyone and their mama on how it's the wrong time and I was messing up my life. The mid-teen comes here for support and OPINIONS on what to do with herself and her baby. She comes here because EVERYONE around her is giving her grief for being so young and having a baby.
    With an attitude like yours, I'm glad you won't be around.

9. Lady Neko

Lady Neko Member

i do agree. its just sad that she could not quite understand. i love you all and i am glad to have been helped and will continue to help in return.

10. Poem~Girl

Poem~Girl Member

How old were you with your first? What gives YOU the right to judge anyone here? Are you a doctor? Do you have any experience in the medical field?
    If a mid-teen gets pregnant, that's her business. I was 19 years old and STILL heard crap from everyone and their mama on how it's the wrong time and I was messing up my life. The mid-teen comes here for support and OPINIONS on what to do with herself and her baby. She comes here because EVERYONE around her is giving her grief for being so young and having a baby.
    With an attitude like yours, I'm glad you won't be around.

If i could just use Moon as an example no harm is being used at all

But Who is anybody to say that a 14 or 19 y/o can/not have children . Yes its an eye opener but we do not know their circumstances nor do we know how their situation at home.
    Moon-you happen to be a fantastic mother

I ws just using you as an example
    But seriously ppl don't know if others are raped drugged, educated in a family setting taken advantage of
    that really irritates me because whether or not your 14/or 19 on here your going to get support no matter if your 12 or 45 years of age. Whats what we are here to do . To support eachother.

Take care

Teri