Buying second hand Bass amp,recommendations?

Discussion in 'Performing Arts' started by Slunted, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Wall of Doom....

2 Orange full stacks,100 watts each...
    Sunn Beta Lead full stack, Fender GE412 cabs...
    Laney AOR 100 half stack, Orange cabinet...

and two pedalboards.

It's complicated... and it might get loud.

Slunted likes this.
  2. Slunted

Slunted 'long time listener, first time caller'

Truly a Wall of Doom!! That's serious noise.

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Went down to a music store today that sells mostly used gear. Got an older pair of Peavey 4X10 bass cabinets in working order... don't look too bad either for being about 30 years old. Something like that would serve you well if you could find a head to match..

Slunted likes this.
  4. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

From your original post, I assumed that you only want to play a bass guitar through the system.
    Some of the units mentioned seem to have HF horns that will be above the frequency range that you require. For lower frequencies, a single cone, 15 inch speaker should give better results on the fundamental frequencies on a 4 or 5 string instrument. A 6 string guitar extends above the 500Hz capacity of a 15 inch speaker.
    If you want to hear the first harmonic clearly, an additional 8 inch speaker and 500 Hz crossover would sound clean.

Only if you are playing solo, would you be concerned with the second and third harmonic frequencies and in this case, a horn HF with a 3 way passive crossover (500 / 3kHz) be worthwhile.

You will know immediately you listen whether you are looking at the best choice for your needs. If it does not sound pleasant, walk away.
    When I set up a theater, all my decisions on setup and adjustments needed are made within 30 seconds. After that everything blurs.

For lower frequencies size really does matter, so a larger cabinet is worthwhile.

Slunted likes this.
  5. tjr1964

tjr1964 Members

I use two Crate Power Block, they run at 150 watts at 8 ohms each or if you play in stereo, 75 watts per channel at 4 ohms. It louder than it looks, sounds like 400 watts .
    It has Class D power, an effects loop in the back, an some RCA Jack's in the back and a XLR output... not to mention a Headphone jack in the front . Basically, it a clean power amp.
    20230205_170718.jpg 20220614_170350.jpg

6. tjr1964

tjr1964 Members

Laney, in my opinion, is the best British amps and the early 1980's Laney 4×12 are better than Mesa Boggie or VHT cabinets . 20220614_185333.jpg