Buying a van in Oz

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Bilby, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

If you are visiting Australia there are a number of advantages of having a van for mobility and an alternative to short term accommodation.

If you only coming for a few weeks then renting maybe the more pragmatic solution. If you are staying longer then it maybe better to buy a cheap van but one that comes registration.

What are the insurance requirements?

The only insurance you are legally required to have is third party personal injury that is included in the registration, although I consider it a good idea to have third party property insurance. Some insurance companies will let you pay monthly. When registering a vehicle in Queensland or NSW you have to buy a Greenslip that covers you for third party personal injury. Shop around with different insurance companies.

What do you do for an address to register a vehicle?

You would get away using a temporary address such as a backpackers hostel, peoples palace, or caravan park.

Are Road Worthy Certificates ever required for vehicles?

It depends on the state. In NSW a road worthy certificate (RWC) is required when the registration is due for renewal. In Victoria a RWC is required when there is a change of ownership. If the vendor does not want to or cannot supply an RWC then they have to surrender the registration and sell it unregistered. In South Australia they do not have roadworthies, just as long as the vehicle is not dangerous or blowing smoke then you are ok. As far as I am aware Queensland does not have roadworthies.

What is the minimum period of registration?

South Australia and ACT have a minimum registration time of three months, Queensland six months, Victoria and NSW twelve months.

I don't know what the situation is in the Northern Territory, Western Australia or Tasmania as I have never been to any of those places.

Are you allowed to live in one state and own a vehicle with interstate registration?

Officially you are supposed to change within three months.

What about when I come to leave Australia how easy is it to re-sell my van?

In my experience if you really want to sell is to list on E-bay with no reserve, some registration and to pick up in a capital city. Toyota Hi-Aces seem to be the most sought after. As an absolute last resort a wrecking yard would give you something for it.

2. simplistic

simplistic Member

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home/Industry/Repairers/Safety_certificates/

You not allowed to offer a vehicle for sale without a 'Roadworthy' in Qld.
    http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home/Registration/Motor_vehicles/

Registering a motor vehicle or motorbike that is currently registered interstate

If you and your vehicle move to Queensland, the vehicle must be registered in Queensland within 14 days of your move and establishment of your new garage address. If you fail to re-register your vehicle in Queensland, you may be fined.

Overall, its best to just check the transport dept websites for all the states you plan on going to or might be buying or selling in. Rules change all the time and forum postings are a poor substitute for the horses mouth.

3. bluewatersurfer

bluewatersurfer Members

I bet there are several on the Gold Coast and being driven by surfers
    good waves at times there for sure

4. Try going to your local campervan/caravan place. You should be right there.

5. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

thread is only 10 years old if you look hard you can find an older one

6. I don't give a flying fuck mate on how old it is. It's not locked and it's stickied so leave it be.

bluewatersurfer likes this.
  7. bluewatersurfer

bluewatersurfer Members

the Gold Coast is amazing
    and the ocean roars