buying a scanner and printer (lots of questions)

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by nimh, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

what are some features i should look for?

what's the deal with the scanners that scan 35mm negatives? that sounds really handy, on my old scanner, i tried scanning negatives but it never really worked. i have hundreds and hundreds of old photos that i'd like to archive, and if i could just scan the negatives, it would be a lot easier.

and what about those scanner/fax/printer combo machines? are they pieces of shit or worthwhile?

re printers: why is there such a big difference in ink costs? can i just buy the brand of printer with the least expensive ink or will the quality suck? any recommendations?

2. MattInVegas

MattInVegas John Denver Mega-Fan

The Combo's can't scan negatives worth a damn. There are special scanners for that, but they are WAY to expensive for anyone here. (Unless you're Bill fuckin Gates!)
    Last I heard they are upwards of $500 for that type. For everyday needs, the Combo's are okay. I have the Deskjet T-45 from HP. It does just fine.

3. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

thanks matt

i was looking at the flatbed scanners that have the negative attachment thingy on them at staples yesterday. it looks like they're backlit? dont know how well they would actually work though. i found some articles about scanning colour negatives that were dated 2003 that said it was reallly difficult to get a decent scan on them because each roll of film requires a different set of colours. it also said that it takes so long per scan that it's not really worth doign it.......

i think staples has a decent return policy, so maybe i'll try it out and see what happens. on the other hand, i might be better off just renting a security box somewhere and storing my negatives and other documents there. ...you always hear about people who lose all their photos in housefires

the fax/printer/flatbed scanner combos are on sale right now for 150 canadian dollars. i can actually afford that!

4. MattInVegas

MattInVegas John Denver Mega-Fan

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just get the negatives developed, then scan the photos on a regular flatbed?

5. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

i might be further off just scanning the photos onto a regular flatbed, for sure. and/or storing the negatives in a fire box or safety deposit box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.