Butterscotch pouring sauce

Discussion in 'Desserts and Sweets' started by BeachBall, Feb 8, 2014.

1. BeachBall

BeachBall Nosey old moo

This sauce can be served hot or cold, and will go with all sorts of things. I serve it with poached pears. But it will go with any kind of sponge cake, ice cream, pancakes ... you name it.

And it's ever so simple.

Ingredients:

2 oz caster sugar
    2 oz butter
    quarter pint milk

(because of my food intolerances, I use goat's butter and milk rather than cow's ... but it'll work fine either way)

1. Put the sugar in a heavy-bottomed pan and heat is SLOWLY over a VERY LOW heat, until it has all melted into a rich, golden caramel. DO NOT let it boil or start to bubble. IF IN ANY DOUBT, REMOVE THE PAN FROM THE HEAT FOR A WHILE. If you over-heat the sugar, it will burn and the sauce will not taste pleasant!

2. Add the butter, a little at a time, and whisk it in to make the butterscotch. IT IS IMPORTANT NOT TO ALLOW THE BUTTERSCOTCH TO COOL TOO MUCH AT THIS STAGE, so keep it on the heat and whisk in only a little butter at a time. DO NOT GET IT TOO HOT EITHER, THOUGH

3. When all the butter has been whisked in, add the milk a little at a time, and whisk that in too. Again, adding milk will cool the sauce, but you must not let it cool too much or the butterscotch will solidify out. So little by little, with the heat staying on BUT WITHOUT OVERHEATING is the order of the day.

4. When all of the milk has been whisked in, stir carefully and remove from the heat. Transfer to a pouring jug, and either serve hot with cold desserts, or allow to cool and serve with hot desserts.

ENJOY :mickey:

2. Reha

Reha Guest

Thanks for recipe!!