Burts Bees

Discussion in 'Body Care' started by cutelildeadbear, Apr 30, 2008.

1. cutelildeadbear

cutelildeadbear Hip Forums Gym Rat

Hi all,

I don't know how many of you currently use the Burt's Bees line, but I thought that perhaps this information that I just came across might be of some interest to some of you. It really bothered me when I discovered it. Apparently, Burt's Bees which started out as a very small environmentally conscience company has recently decided to merge with Clorox company. I don't know if this means anything to anyone else out there, but I was actually kind of saddened to see this happen. Having worked for a small family owned business and seeing what a merger with a huge corporation can do, I feel like they are just big fat sellouts.

Name calling aside, I simply wonder how they plan to commit to keeping their products and packaging as environmentally friendly as they had in the past. I completely understand the business side of things and having to make money, but at whose or what expense? Should we all just succumb to the notion that money is more important than the environment or people?

I am fully aware that doing this will probably not make any difference, however I am now boycotting Burt’s Bees. I just wanted to get this information out there, and I thought people who might care most would be my friends here at hipforums.

For more information you can visit:

http://burtsbeesblog.blogspot.com/

2. duckandmiss

duckandmiss Pastafarian

[​IMG] Ayn Rand hates you.

I'm just kind of sad that this is happening. Hopefully there will be no changes except larger distribution and more varied products. Till then ill keep buying my little tins.

3. cutelildeadbear

That is funny because I absolutely despise Ayn Rand. You can hope in one hand and shit in another and see which one gets filled up quicker. hehee. But I bet you 1 million dollars that not only will the company change, but the products will as well. It costs more money to be earth friendly these days and the more they are spending, the less they are making. Clorox will force them to cut corners.

I know people aren't going to change because of this, that is what BB is hoping too. No one cares about stuff like this anymore.

4. Lady of the Freaks

Lady of the Freaks Senior Member

this seems to happen to all the companies that produce good chemical-free products sooner or later. :(

5. duckandmiss

duckandmiss Pastafarian

One thing to think about. My parents generation and baby boomers in general are now the CEO's and heads of some of these companies so we are seeing a lot of these natural products hit the big time. I doubt the product will change in composition just because that product is what they want to push to make more money. They have enough of there own kind of chap-stick that never sold like BB. I think with a product like this it may not cost more to keep it the way it is.. we will see though, capitalism does disappoint!

6. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Clorox is actively buying "green" companies.
    Mostly, they are working on their own chlorine-free line.
    http://www.clorox.com/products/overview.php?prod_id=gw

here's my take on this: any time it is easier for someone in bug bite Idaho to get earth-friendly cleaners, I almost don't care how they get it.

Boycotting the company? I assume you will also boycott Clorox.
    better get all the owned companies:
    Hidden Valley Ranch
    KC masterpiece BBQ sauce
    Fresh Step cat litter,
    STP gas treatment,
    Glad
    Kingsford charcoal
    Brita water filtration
    Pine Sol
    Armor all

7. Catzilla

Catzilla Member

There is very little if anything that Burt's Bees makes that can't be made at home (with a little sleuthing and experimentation).
    I'm trying to replicate the delicious scent of their Bay Rum, and I had a heck of a time trying to find a sample since it's been discontinued...but I managed to beg a sliver of the soap from a friend :)
    Anyway, a very nice lip balm can be made by melting together a tablepoon of grated beeswax, a tablespoon of coconut oil, 2 tsp jojoba oil and a capsule of vitamin E. If you want it flavored, add a few drops of peppermint, clove or orange essential oil.
    Pour this into several cleaned out chapstick tubes or pots and let cool.
    Have fun!
    Cat

8. cutelildeadbear

Thanks mama, actually, I haven't used any of these products in years. I'm not really boycotting them because of the Clorox connection, I have other reasons, that I really can't go into on here. I'll PM them to you and maybe you'd understand. This is completely not an environmental issue for me though.

I am a very cynical person and I don't like what all of the giant companies are all of a sudden doing to go "green" these huge tv campaigns, etc. I just don't buy it. They are doing it to make money. They know that a lot of weathly people are "greenie weenies" and will spend their money on these products. I'm one of those people who won't shop at Walmart and would rather get my produce from the farmer guy at the stand down the street. That is just me, I don't expect or even want everyone to do that. I personally would just rather stimulate my local economy than to give billionaires any more of my money. A lot of my friends think the way that you guys do and you all have valid points.

Some things are inevitable, no one is perfect and I don't ever claim to be. I don't even think I really care enough to be. What I was pissed about was that this small company who built itself from ground up and worked hard to make a name for itself and produce a great product is now being swallowed up by a huge company who didn't do anything but plop down some money. Anyone who has ever been in a corporate merger or buyout would understand my frustration with huge companies taking over the world. No mom and pop businesses anymore. Now, of course BB had something to do with it, it wasn't a hostile take over, so in part I blame them. They sold out. And now some people will lose their jobs.

9. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

thanks for the PM. I see your angle now.

if it is about their dollars, then discouraging people from the entire line will hit them in the pocket (and that is what the modern boycott is about)

10. EarthChildOfPeace

EarthChildOfPeace Member

This is sad. I do like Burts Bees, but mostly I check out what they make and research how I can make it myself at home, it saves money, takes up a little more time but is kind of a fun activity. Anyways, CatZilla, i went to my local health food store today and they had 2 bottles of the Bay Rum Cologne!!! Maybe there is hope!