Burn your own flag?

Discussion in 'Protest' started by Trickster, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Trickster

Trickster Misfit

Would you burn your own flag in a protest? No way in hell would i, regardless of the negativity i might feel for the government. My nations symbol it too important. Those who defile it are disgraceful, spitting on those who fought under it and have no respect and pride for it.

2. gary.newelluk

gary.newelluk Member

Flags aren't a very british thing anyway except in a sporting sense where you will see England flags for football, cricket and tennis.

Burning a flag is certainly not a very British thing to do and I would never consider it.

Our chancellor wants Britain to have its own special day (like Independance day in the US). He suggests we have another holiday and celebrate Britishness by putting flags up etc.

The chancellor wants us to be more British therefore by doing something Americans do?!? Being British usually means not making too much of a fuss and we thrive on our diversity of cultures.

3. Trickster

Trickster Misfit

We celebrated Australia Day today, being the 26th of Jan. It's a day to have a barbie, a day off from work and spend time with friends and family relaxing and having a good time. We also have the Australian of the Year, thong throwing champs and we broke the guiness record for lilos in a row :p Only an Aussie. It was hilarious with over 800 bright pink brown up thongs in the water at the beach.

We celebrate out multiculturalism, mateship and respect for our country and fellow Aussies and all we hold dear.

It's bloody great to be AUSSIE ;)

And i spose you poms arent bad (but all bets are off when it's Cricket or Rugby season)

4. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

I'd burn it.

Hell, I'd burn it right now. Throw me in jail...for burning a piece of fabric...silly.

5. Trickster

Trickster Misfit

It's what it represents, as in a symbol of your country and people. I almost feel sorry for you for not getting that.

6. DancerAnnie

I'm not proud of my country. Are you into American politics at all? If not, you wouldn't understand why I'm so angry.

7. Trickster

Trickster Misfit

Yep, kinda hard not to know about your country when it's involved in so many stuff ups, But, a bunch of morons voted in a moron so live with it or get your countrymen and women more informed not me. Otherwise you'll make the same mistake next election

8. DancerAnnie

Everyone I knew voted against Bush...I worked on a campaign against him. I voted. I did my job. I can't help it I live in a country with complete idiots. Do you blame me for not being proud?

9. gary.newelluk

gary.newelluk Member

Burning the flag is like burning something with The Queen's head on it. Wouldn't dream of it. The monarchy is the one thing in Britain to be proud of. Its like the statue of liberty I suppose.

Ok so all the royal family do is attend parades and wave a few times but I think The Queen is a symbol of our great nation.

10. Sophie-Jo

Sophie-Jo Member

I'm not sure I'd say it's something to be proud of, but equally I don't loathe them. They do get into some right funny situations and they are just figureheads. You're right in comparing them to the statue of liberty though, they are a good tourist attraction :)

11. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

I would never burn the flag, it's like trying to destroy a part of your country in my eyes. Even if you don't agree with a current poltical situation, there's too much honor and good men through history that died for and tried to uphold the principles of that flag.

12. DancerAnnie

The principles of that flag? What principles?

What about the government? Shouldn't they withhold those "principles" too?

13. TheMadcapSyd

The principles our country should hold, freedom, democracy, liberty, individualism, strength, the love of our land, the american dream as a whole. And yes, the government should uphold these principlies, and I think people don't give the government as much credit as they deserve for upholding them, though in recent times there's been good reason not to. But hey, if people don't like, get out there and vote, 50% of Americans don't vote in the presidential election, then that number just keeps going down the more local the election gets.

14. incense+peppermints

incense+peppermints Member

A flag is something you are born under,you don't really get to choose what country you're born in. To me, patriotism is a joke, when your country is corrupt. So as for burning the flag, if you are angry and have a reason to, fuck yeah it's okay!

15. TheMadcapSyd

If you don't like your country though, normally it's the government people don't like, shouldn't you do something to improve the government situation instead of burning the flag that represents your country, homeland and people? Being patriotic is not a joke, a patriotic person supports their country, not always their government, if a patriotic person doesn't like their government, they'll do something to change it to make their country better.

16. I masturbate over the flags of any country i dont like

but on a serious note, I was born into this world an Australian and want to die an anarchist. I'll wipe my ass on the flag if i ever find a way to stop feeding off the milk of this authoritarian construct. Madcapsyd, i not only dislike my government, I reject the idea of government or nationalism altogether. Whoah, that was harsh even for me...better lay low for the next few weeks just in case ASIO come after me [​IMG]

Sorry trickster, I do love Australia, but more for the land and the people as opposed to the governmental ideals.

17. gary.newelluk

gary.newelluk Member

Your flag and nation shouldn't be overshadowed by your government and their policies.

Surely you can be proud of your nation for something. I'm proud of my nation for many things and many people. There are good and bad people everywhere.

Here is a short list of things to be proud to be British for:

The British Empire
    Cricket (inventing it and beating the Aussies in the ashes)
    Rugby world cup winners
    Football world cup winners
    The Queen (Royal family in general)
    The Beatles
    The Rolling Stones
    Wimbledon (The tennis championships not the place. the place is a shit hole).
    Sir Bob Geldof
    Lord Coe

Don't you love it when your nation win something? I think there is a certain pride that goes with that. I'm an Englishman living in Scotland but I'm proud to be English, proud to be British and when we win the Ryder or Mosconi cups proud to be European. I don't let politics get in the way of that.

18. gary.newelluk

gary.newelluk Member

and sometimes I'm even proud to be Human. Don't any of you think its a great achievement that the human being has learned how to sail, fly and even send people into space. Its amazing when you think about it.

I think we all focus on the bad things too much and should sometimes think about the good things people are doing like the rescue workers in Thailand or the aid workers the world over.

19. Trickster

Trickster Misfit

You seriously haven't figured out that the Ashes win was a fluke? What the hell have you won since? Playing Bangladesh doesn't count either.
    We are the best one day and test playing nation in the world and Sth Africa is second. Where the bloody hell is pommy land. We have since proved it was a fluke with our performances with the bat, fielding and blowing since.

Soccer World Cup? I don't think we care about that.

The Rugby World Cup was only your 2nd win in any sporting contest since the 1966 World Cup (Soccer) You only scored one try (Robinson) and solely relied on Wilko's boot. At least we have a whole team with talent.

Thankyou and goodnight :)

20. itsme6526

itsme6526 Member

Then please leave....