Bunny's Chemistry Questions

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by BunnySuit, Jan 19, 2009.

1. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

It depends which column it sits in on the periodic table.

Column 1 atoms contain 1 electron (not accounting for any electrons in the lower states), and so on.

If the atom becomes positively charged, then it has lost an electron, therefore you simply have to subtract 1 from the number of the column, or 1 from the atomic number.

The atomic number is basically the same as the number of protons, and if the atom is neutrally charged it has the same number of electrons as protons.

That's about as concise an answer I can give right now. Thankyou for helping my brain to distract itself from my sore tooth for a few minutes.

2. nakedtreehugger

nakedtreehugger craaaaaazy

wow, looky how many peoples on here know chemistry. :)

i liked chemistry a lot.

3. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

4. BunnySuit

BunnySuit Senior Member

thank you all so much. I have one 3X5 card allowed for notes, and this is going on it.

bahhh, you all make me very happy.

5. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

But there is. An ion can't just have a random number of electrons.
    It has to do with electronic configuration. With the number of valent electrons, to be precise. And if you don't know the first thing about that, just look at the atom's position in the periodic table and you'll see which atoms form anions, and which cations, and when you now that, its easy to see how many electrons an ion has.
    I really don't feel like explaining this, but its basic chemistry and to tell you the truth, I was kinda shocked when I saw this question. Its stuff you learn in elementary school, and then again in highschool.

6. Autentique

Autentique wonderfabulastic

:)

Smart Janja, I remember blurry things like that from chemistry back in school, but I cant even remember the last time I looked at a periodic table. It's all so blurry.

7. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

I understand. I wasn't really thinking of you, I was actually talking about Bunny. She should know that stuff, ya know....I think she mentioned that she has an exam in 2 weeks or so :eek:

Anyways, I'm not much of a teacher and I suck at explaining things, but, Bunny, give me an ion and I'll tell you how many electrons or whatever it has.

8. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

[​IMG]

"I think my feelings would be best expressed by a monologue from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwhqLFNrTjI "

9. IamnotaMan

IamnotaMan I am Thor. On sabba-tickle. Still available via us

I prefer another type of chemistry...

If you've got the symbol and the charge , then you know the number of electrons...Simple!

However , electron shells dont really exist.You just have to pretend to for basic chemistry.Advanced chemistry its waves.Then super advanced chemistry , its sthg else again.4 years of my life I learnt chemistry , which I never used again.And it was all a lie too...! LOL

Still I found out how to make ... oops...:eek:lol

10. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

Yeah my explanation was way too simple, only atoms in columns I to III can be positive ions I think, and they usually bond to atoms in columns V to VII. Salts and covalent bonds and isotopes n stuff. You're better of reading your textbook, it's not difficult stuff.

11. BunnySuit

BunnySuit Senior Member

obviously we have different education systems seeing as how i'm in my final year in high school and this is the first time i've ever even seen the periodic table really. So it's not that bad that I don't know this stuff.

12. StraightToes

StraightToes N/A

Take the atomic number and subtract the charge. That leaves the number of electrons in the positive ion. For example, calcium's atomic number is 20. That means there are 20 protons in the nucleus. If it had 20 electrons, it would be electrically neutral as the number of negative electrons balance the number of positive protons. If the ion has a +2 charge, the number of electrons is 20-2=18. In other words, there are 20 positive protons, 18 negative electrons, so there's an excess charge of +2. Hope this helps.

FYI - I've got a Ph.D. in chemical engineering. Being an anonymous guy on a billboard, you can take it or leave it, but,..., for what it's worth, trust me.

13. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Oh wow.

14. Fuuunia

Fuuunia Members

My reaction exactly.

Wow.. Why wasn't I born in the US? (j/k :D )

15. Quoth the Raven

Quoth the Raven RaveIan

How the hell can you do years of chemistry without seeing the periodic table?

Day 1, year 7 chemistry (equiv to 7th grade I think) was the periodic table and the types of bonds: ionic, covalent and metallic.

16. deleted

deleted Visitor

ummm. this one is really easy bunny.. :( I thought you were smart?

17. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Yesssss ! 7th grade. Then highschool, 1st grade. Again the same thing.
    I really wonder what they learn in chemistry, if not this.

Haha.

18. IamnotaMan

I think good American unis are *possibly* the best in the world.
    But high school curriculum seems to be a way behind Britain.
    An American first degree seems to concentrate a fair bit on what we'd do before uni.

But most of our schools are shockingly bad compared to much of Europe I suspect.
    Strange..

19. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

20. IamnotaMan

Lots of good US ones there.Very expensive and a pretty sleazy application system in some ways tho. :(And few give a full scholarship for outsiders...