Bumble Bees

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by MaryJeanne, May 7, 2007.

1. MaryJeanne

MaryJeanne Member

hey guys,
    I didn't know where else to put this, but I have been having a problem.
    THere are bumble bees everywhere around my house. I was wondering how to get rid of them without using the spray killer. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated! Thanks.
    peace and love

2. Alaskan

Alaskan Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Maryjeanne :
    I wouldn't do any thing. They just hatched and seem like theres alot of them.
    Once the flowers start opening up they'll be out doing what their designed to do,
    sucking up nectar and spreading the pollen to other plants.
    You should feel lucky to have them there. There is a big concern now at a bee shortage or no bee's at all in some areas.
    Just dont swat at them and they wont mess with you......Dennis

3. Avocado Noni

Avocado Noni Member

Bees are gentle animals. I've actually pet a bee that was passed out on a passion flower(a sedative herb) before and it just kicks its leg at you like its saying "leave me alone, I'm sleeping" Anything that lives on flower nectar is probably not a violent dangerous type of critter, lol :p

Really they won't bother you and their quite interesting to observe.

Thats GREAT your not spraying pesticides and other harsh carcinogenic chemicals at them, and I hope you don't resort to that !

Bees seem like a king in the insect kingdom and I don't know that many animals or other insects attack or mess with them often, so I don't know what you could do on that front.

There might be plants that repel bees and I'm sure theres actually a lot of plants bees shy away from, but their immune system is probably well developed to be able to not be bothered by any wild plant.

How many bee are around you, do you know where their hive or home is?

4. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

They've been so think on my lavendar for weeks, that I ended up harvesting by the light of the moon when they were in bed.

5. PeaceLoveAndWeed

PeaceLoveAndWeed Member

I know that a garlic spray will keep many pests away. Im not sure if bees are included in this though.

6. wanderin_blues

wanderin_blues Banned

lol! you want to get RID of bees? i would welcome them with open arms if i were you.
    they are good for your plants and gentle. they wont sting you unless they really have to, like if youre about to squish one in your hands lol. i like watching them busily visiting my flowers :)

7. MaryJeanne

MaryJeanne Member

thanks guys
    we're trying to deal with them in hopes they go away or at least some of them will. I think my house is like a base nest, its old and rotting out so its a perfect habitat for them. It's just annoying dodging bees when I'm just trying to relax on my back deck.
    love n light

8. MaryJeanne

MaryJeanne Member

Uh-Oh
    Turns out that the "Bumble Bees" are actually carpenter bees which resemble bumbles! They are ruining my house! They are eating it away! All i've found are chemical ways to get rid of them and their eggs! Anyone know of other ways?
    HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

9. lucyinthesky16

lucyinthesky16 pirate wench

too bad you don't have any real bumble bees, they are territorial and fight off other bees, but leave us humans alone.
    anyways, i found this site/forum, hope it helps! i live in the country, so we have a lot of little pests too, mainly carpenter ants
    site-> https://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=2278