Bumble Bee tuna worker cooked in oven -"oops, we'll be closed for a few days."

Discussion in 'Consumer Advocacy' started by Justin_Hale, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Justin_Hale

Justin_Hale ( •_•)⌐■-■ ...(⌐■_■)

So after a 62 year old worker at a Bumble Bee tuna plant gets accidentally cooked to death in an oven (steamer) Thursday, the plant sends a 'sorry about that' letter to the family and then says to the press:

http://www.dailybreeze.com/latestne...worker-dies-industrial-accident-at-bumble-bee

I guess I'm left to assume the plant will replace that industrial steamer oven over the weekend.

But it's more likely it'll be wiped down with some 409 and fired back up.

I'll never eat Bumble Bee tuna again, and I'll probably remember this every time I see a can of it on the shelf at the store.

RIP, Jose Melena

2. HomeGrownIdeas

HomeGrownIdeas Member

That's how the working man gets treated. R.i.p.

3. jaredfelix

jaredfelix Namaste ॐ

This won't stop me from eating their sardines mhmmm yum

4. MamaPeace

MamaPeace Senior Member

Oh man, that poor guy RIP dude

5. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

What do you mean? It could have been completely the dudes own fault, or of a coworker.

6. jimmyjoe1

jimmyjoe1 toker Lifetime Supporter

amen.

7. odonII

odonII O

Maybe: Guys dies on Saturday. Factory open on Monday.

8. Mayor Salt

Mayor Salt Member

Hey, that's one more for the study on workplace fatalities my colleague is working on!

9. Justin_Hale

Yep.

That's why safety measures are supposed to be put in place, like 'Lockout-tagout' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockout-Tagout by the company as required by OSHA here in the U.S.

What Bumble Bee should have said was that they're paying his family a million dollars for restitution and replacing the oven right away.

Instead, like HomeGrownIdeas said: "That's how the working man gets treated". And they'll probably be using that same oven again to cook the tuna next week for all I know.

Bumble Bee tuna will never see one of my dollars ever again.

10. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

That's really sad. I buy store brand tuna, but I can check and make sure it's not Bumblebee. I really don't want to wonder if I'm eating people also.

11. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

seriously, how does that happen! I feel sorry for that guy.

12. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

^^ King Oscar tiny tot's man, the two layer bristlings in pure olive oil. :2thumbsup:

RIP bumblebee worker...

13. LetLovinTakeHold

I am all too familiar with LOTO, and all of the risks involved with heavy machinery. I've been doing industrial maintenance for the last seven years, as well as an active member of safety committees in every plant I work in. I've also been taking on side work as 3rd party accident investigator. I go into factories after an injury has occurred, to try and figure out exactly why the accident happened and give the company a list of ways to prevent it from happening again. Some companies hire us beforehand to analize their injury risk, and just to find safer ways to do things.

99% of the time, the company will have proper safety procedures in place, but struggle to enforce them because machine operators generally prefer the easy route rather than the safe one. You wouldn't believe how many guards I've seen removed, safety switches overrided with tape and screwdrivers, etc. all done by the operators....NOT the company.

You think it's insensitive of the company to resume operations so quickly? In my mind I think it would be important to for the family of the victim to know what put their love one in harms way as soon as possible. In order to do a proper accident investigation the plant has to be up and running with all employees present. Otherwise the investigators are just relying on heresay.

The information provided by that article doesn't have any evidence of wrongdoing or mistreatment on behalf ofthe company, and to automatically point fingers without any evidence or knowledge on how these things work is ignorant. For all we know that place could be an awesome place to work. Or it may be a hell hole. We simply do not know from where we're standing.

14. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

Funny you should mention this. We had an e.coli out break up here that was mostly tracked to the big slaughterhouse in Brooks. First thing the company did to try and get out of a proper investigation was to lay-off over 2000 employee's.

The agency doing the inspection made them hire everyone back, so they could do the inspection properly.

15. Shivaya

Shivaya Y'a rien de trop beau pour la classe ouvrière.

What is the complaint about here? The fact that they are resuming operations?

It's sad that the guy died, but what are they supposed to do? Stay closed?
    I don't get it.

16. LetLovinTakeHold

It doesn't matter if its a janitor, or the CEO......a company isn't going to shut down any longer that they have to.

17. Shivaya

Shivaya Y'a rien de trop beau pour la classe ouvrière.

And why would they?
    I just dont get why people are complaining about this.

18. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

My only blech thoughts towards this are that a human being was cooked in an oven that's likely going to be kept on the production line with little more than a quick wipedown and "That'll do 'er!" I think people just want to know they're at least taking measures to make sure that it's sanitary for food production. Sorry, but a human being being cooked to death doesn't create the most sanitary environment.

19. slappysquirrel

slappysquirrel Senior Member

talk about a horrible way to die

20. Justin_Hale

Nice long post, LLTH. But I'm not boycotting them just because of the accident.

No.

What I don't get is how many people here seem to be overlooking the fact that a man got cooked to death in an oven that's going to be used for cooking food again.

Yeah, I have a big problem with that. They can't clean it enough to make me want to eat anything coming out of that oven, sorry.

I can't believe the FDA (or whatever) would allow that.

As soon as I hear that the oven was replaced before cooking anymore food I'll shut up about it. Until then I'm telling everyone I know about it.

They can make their own decisions after that.