Bukowski,

Discussion in 'Beat and Hippie Books' started by Fairlight, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

Anyone one here ever read any Bukowski? What did you think? I've read "Women","Ham on Rye","Factotum" and "Post Office". He created this hard-boiled persona but I actually think he was a pretty sweet guy in many respects.Some think he was an asshole though.

2. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

I've only skimmed his work in the past and saw an interview with him and it just rubbed me the wrong way. I did think he came off as an asshole. But since then, I've had a change of heart. I've recently become very interested in him. I guess I was only seeing what was on the surface before. So I've yet to really read any Bukowski. I'm not sure which of his works I should start with first..

3. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

I think "Factotum" would be a good place to start.I guess he is foremost a writer for men,but that's not meant to be a sexist opinion.I don't see why a woman couldn't get something from him.He started out writing a lot of poetry that kind of demystified a lot of the elitism that surrounded poetry at the time,so that the ordinary guy in the street could get it.Real success actually came rather late for him..He wasn't pretty,but I think he touched upon some elemental human truths on a certain level.He could also be really funny.

4. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

This poem of his gives me chills: Throwing Away the Alarm Clock

Other than that, I've just read his poems, saw part of the movie Factotum and read a little about the guy. And all I really have to say is that he was clearly genius, and his life is quite enviable to me in many ways.

5. RainyDayHype

6. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Bukowski is the best. Huge fan. I've read all the books you listed, Fairlight.

7. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I also recommend the Barbet Schroeder movie Barfly, staring Mickey Rourke and Faye Dunaway, based on the life of Bukowski. It's one of my favorite movies ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5OLViof8ho"]Barfly - Bar scene - YouTube

8. RainyDayHype

Came across this the other day and really liked it..

“My dear,
    Find what you love and let it kill you.
    Let it drain you of your all. Let it cling onto your back and weigh you down into eventual nothingness.
    Let it kill you and let it devour your remains.
    For all things will kill you, both slowly and fastly, but it’s much better to be killed by a lover.
    ~ Falsely yours”

9. BlueLightRain

BlueLightRain Member

Modest mouse seems to think he's an asshole. He's on my list of people who's works I should read tho..

10. Bouga

Bouga Member

I've only read the Post Office, but I think if you look at his short stories it shows a softer side. There is one about a woman who self harmed and he was over the moon for her. Really beautiful writing, I wish I could remember the name of it.

11. RainyDayHype

I've been meaning to go to the library to check out some Bukowski but havn't gotten around to it yet.

12. Ulver56

Ulver56 Banned

I haven't read any of this guy's books but I keep hearing his name so I am gonna have to check if out. I have watch some interviews with him and found him to be difficult but then i don't like talking into a camera so maybe he was uncomfortable

13. Nirali

Nirali Member

Women couldn´t get Bukowski?! I LOVE him! OMG, I read almost everything from him... when my close friends were in depressions I used to call them and recite his stuff to the phone. We were laughing for a hours then!.)

Of course, from literary aspect he was repeating some stuff (ideas, items, names...) more then one time and I don´t find his surrealistic poems that interesting like the rest of the writings but his pieces has a different and special spirit elsewhere then in the perfect literary style.

14. ColdTurkey

ColdTurkey Member

"Ham on Rye" is bretty gud.

But Bukowski is at best mediocre.

By the way, Born Into This.

15. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Haven't read anything by him, but I've been meaning to get over to the Bukowski Tavern in Cambridge. They claim to have the best beers.

Bukowski Tavern/

16. tonydoe420

tonydoe420 Banned

I love him. It took me some time to like him. But I think he had a unique insight into the human condition.

1 person likes this.
  17. GoingHome

GoingHome Further Within

I wouldn't consider him a hippie, like at all.

More like a proto-punk. I think he even ridiculed hippies, in a few of his stories, as weak and powerless.

The funny thing is, I read him for years, when I was a gutterpunk, only to hear his voice and, for those of you who haven't heard it, it's so high pitched and effeminate it made me crack up laughing. Such a hard ass and such a faye voice.

18. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

He could write though.

19. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Awesome.....awesome.....awesome....I love Bukowski's works........

1 person likes this.
  20. GoingHome

GoingHome Further Within

I think he's overrated, but what the hell,
    I'm contentious like that.