Building an electrical generator

Discussion in 'Alternative Technologies' started by VenusAnnie, Oct 27, 2010.

1. VenusAnnie

VenusAnnie Guest

Did you know that you can easily build an electric generator by connecting two motors together? To prove what I'm talking about, take a motor and connect either a VOM (Multimeter) to the leads of the motor and use your fingers to turn the rotating part of the motor. You'll see that it produces electricity. More RPMs = more voltage. So, to regulate this, you'll need a motor to connect to this one via the rotating portion of the motors. You then wire the motors together and give it the initial charge it needs to start up by using a battery. As long as that first motor uses less power than the second motor gives off, you can run electronics off of the output from the system. Test the voltage, power, and current to make sure that they are capable of powering things. If you overload the generator, it will simply stop running until you remove the load it couldn't handle.

Here are the specs I'm going to try to make mine work as well as my research. (I haven't done so yet.)

Generator notes:

- More horsepower = more power (1HP = 746 Watts) <-- Keep this around 1HP. It was suggested and it has over 10A.
    - More RPMs = More AC <-- Keep this around 115/120.
    - Just because it has more HP doesn't mean that it requires a lot of torque.

Motor 1 (In) Specs (Used as a motor)

V: 115/120
    A: VERY LOW! Lower than motor 2 as much as possible. Using a gearbox will help step up the RPMs.
    HP: Less than 1HP (Use the gearbox for more strength)

Motor 2 (Out) Specs (Used as a generator)

V: 115/120
    A: 10A+ (Out)
    HP: 1

2. Amontillado

Amontillado Member extraordinaire HipForums Supporter

Oh, this is woeful. How did you do in high school physics? Or were you high in school physics?

In mechanical terms, power = torque * rotational speed.

In electrical terms, power = volts * amps.

But you'll never get more power out of any system than you put in, and in fact you'll get significantly less, because of unavoidable losses (air resistance to moving parts, and electrical resistance in wires). Let's not even think about "power factor" as applied to A.C. machines.

Please accept that if your idea worked, the Nobel prize that you dream of would have been claimed long ago.

3. VenusAnnie

VenusAnnie Guest

I've built small models of this system and it worked perfectly. There are numerous people out there who have done this. It isn't my invention and I certainly don't have any use for a nobel prize. I sucked at match, but I'm a Certified Electronics Engineer. I have considerable knowledge on this subject. This is how you build an electric generator on a smaller scale of the ones used in power plants. It's a common method used to produce electricity, but the Illuminati don't want people to compete with their trillion dollar electrical companies and get rid of the world's "need" for power plants.

4. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet Not even close.

Bullshit.

5. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

VenusAnnie, you're really not 26, are you? Because I, and I am sure a lot of others here, learned in junior high that such stuff is impractical.

6. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

Sometimes, yes.

7. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

the electric drive motor would use more power than the driven one could ever produce

8. makihiko

makihiko Official hippie since 2005

I agree...

the only way this could work...is like...in space... or some other void that makes the laws of physics change..

9. chainmailleman

chainmailleman Member

I would say that the majority of the replies on this topic are correct...however...the reason you cannot build a generator out of 2 motors is a little problem called Back Electro-Motive Force (BEMF). The motor is a generator and the generator is a motor. They will do both. Resistance has little to do with it. Resistance limits the overall current in the circuit (also creating a bit of heat).

BEMF is the reason electric motors hover around 67% efficiency (single phase and DC, 3 phase is upwards of 95%). They produce an EMF in OPPOSITION to the input EMF. In layman's terms, you are colliding to forces together and the net force is what produces the work. Most of the energy is literally destroyed (converted into heat and noise).

Based on the current geometry of the standard electric motor, it is impossible to produce as much out as what went in.

10. indydude

indydude Senior Member

Could you connect a smaller 110v motor to turn a stater or main drive on a larger 220v generator? You would be using a smaller motor to generate a larger capable generator.
    The generator with larger stater and magnets and windings would be creating 220v and more amps then the smaller 110v motor is using to turn the generator.