broken finger

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Dustinthewind, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Dustinthewind

Dustinthewind woopdee fucking doo

During my daughters last club volleyball practice she broke her pinky. Its almost been a week and it is still super, super swollen. We have done the ice thing off and on and she has kept her splint on.

But the swelling still has not gone down any. I have never broken anything to know how long the swelling lasts. has anyone ever broken a bone? how long did the swelling last? I dont know if I should take her back to the dr or not.

2. Taylor

Taylor Repatriated

is her finger strapped to the one next to it? Cos with fingers, thats pretty much all they can do. Set it and then strap it, take anti-inflammitores and then wait for it to heal.

3. Dustinthewind

No it isnt strapped to the finger next to it, it is in splint, a real long aluminum splint. The dr. said they cant do anything really for a broken finger but keep the splint on it. I am just getting worried because the swelling hasnt gone down at all!

and speaking of anti-inflammatories they didnt even give her a prescription for that or anything to ease the pain. Thats Kaiser for ya! :)

4. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

has it gone down at all?

5. Dustinthewind

not at all trish! that is what is worrying me. The dr said she broke it at the knuckle part the kind of triangular part of the bone and that there was a chip. Hell I dont know? I spose i should take her back to the dr.

6. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

well, how much ice did she put on it the first few days? (that is all that matters)

how much stress (aka, movement) afterwards?

id say, it cant hurt to go back the the doc., but if it's an incovience in any way... give it another few days. it's normal as far as i know. (my own things that didnt go down as quick as they "should", i started to worry and think of the doc., and then it works out.. just a few days late)

7. Dustinthewind

the first night that she did it, we kept ice on it until she went to bed. then the next day we kept it on and off like every thirty minutes to an hour and wedid that for like two days after she did it. (not when she was asleep of course)
    She is really bummed out that she is missing her volleyball stuff (which cost me $1560) she will miss her tournament this coming weekend, but all that really matters is that she gets her finger better so she can go back and play.

8. Dustinthewind

oh and i forgot to say that she has kept ice on it off and on everyday since the dr. it will be a week on tuesday.

9. juicy_redgirl

juicy_redgirl Daphney

I've broken a couple fingers before and the swelling has never gone down much until I took the bandage off.

Not that I'm advising you to take it off, that's just the way it's always worked for me.

10. Dustinthewind

hmmmm? that is the one thing the dr. stressed the most was to keep the splint on or britts finger could grow crooked and shit like that.
    It still hurts like a bitch too.

11. juicy_redgirl

juicy_redgirl Daphney

My fingers aren't crooked. :p
    The doctor told me that too. I, however, got annoyed with it and took it off after a few days. I can't keep bandages, braces, casts, etc. on for very long.

12. Dustinthewind

I have a feeling that she will end up taking it off too! kids these days! ha ha!
    The only thing that might keep her from taking it off is that the dr. said her finger would grow crooked and that she would never be able to play volleyball again. I give her three days and she might have it off.

13. steffan

steffan puffin

worse case is that ther's damage to the veins and it's stopping the return bloodflow. you should call the doc anyway, maybe ask to talk to a nurse practitioner, should have at least started to go down by know though unless she keeps bumping it,

14. Super_Grrl

Super_Grrl Crazy love

Wow that really sucks :( Your poor daughter! I've never broken anything (touch wood) but I still feel sad for her. I hope it gets better soon so she can get back out there and stop missing out on the fun!! **sending good vibes to Britt**