Brokeback Mountain Merged

Discussion in 'Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Trans, etc.' started by txbarefooter, Dec 13, 2005.

1. txbarefooter

txbarefooter Senior Member

Just curious if anyone is going to see Brokeback Mountain ?
    Set in the 1960's, it is the story of two cowboys grappling with their love for each other, staring Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger.

It is the top Golden Globe contender picking up seven nominations, including best dramatic picture.

2. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

Heck yeah, and I'm not gay.

3. Dariah

Dariah Member

Yes, definitely.

4. mushie18

mushie18 Intergalactic

I like Jake Gyllenhaal.
    I want to see it.

5. gertie

gertie Senior Member

i so want to see it. my brother even agreed to go with me to see it (and he's straight, but an actor, so used to being one of few guys that don't like guys)

6. gertie

gertie Senior Member

i can't wait to see. my brother even said he'd go with me (he's not gay, but he's comfortable with himself and he said something to me.)

7. gertie

gertie Senior Member

sorry about teh doubling, the screen showed that it didn't send

8. Erasmus70

Erasmus70 Banned

No chance.
    I dont buy it and its sure to bore me to tears anyways.
    It WILL get academy award nominations anyways.
    The South Park original version was surely better than this one will be.

What movie SHOULD win the Award for Best Picture?
    Cinderella Man.
    Simply Awesome.

I have little doubt a movie featuring two male prizefighters from the 30's who 'fall in love' will be made eventually.

9. lovelightlisa

lovelightlisa Senior Member

wow! heath ledger and jake gyllenhaal that's gonna be hot :D

10. Erasmus70

Erasmus70 Banned

Just curious, do you think you will see this movie more for the story and quality of writing etc - or - for the sexual fantasy of watching too men kissing and getting it on.
    (im just assuming this film stops there and does not feature oral and anal sex etc)

Im sorta asking that out loud in general to all the ladies in here planning to see it?

11. lovelightlisa

lovelightlisa Senior Member

:eek:
    there's a story behind this hollywood financed sexual fantasy?!

naah seriously, i would go see it for the story and the guys both
    i mean, if i want to see just some guys kiss eachother i might as well just
    take a walk downtown. but this is jake and heath, and i'm surprised they are in a 'gay' movie, so yeah that makes me curious about the story too.

12. Erasmus70

Erasmus70 Banned

I just asked because I know a lot of women are really sexually excited by seeing two men have sex with each other.
    I dont know if this movie will show much more than passionate loving kissing and probably more 'tender caring contact' than much actualy guy on guy sex but I suspect many women will rush to see it for the sex kicks as much as the story?

13. SageDreamer

SageDreamer Senior Member

I'm sure there are going to be some women who go to see it for the "sex kicks," but there will probably be at least as many gay men who go for the same reason. Right now the movie is only playing on five screens: three in New York, one in Los Angeles and one in San Francisco. Gay magazines have been running lots of stories about this movie.

I've read the book; it's actually quite short. I live in a small town that probably won't get the movie, but I plan to go to the nearest bigger town if and when it opens there. I want to see how much the book is like the movie and I do expect some major hotness.

14. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Member

Most definitly!

15. Arrow Earthling

Arrow Earthling Member

When I heard about this movie my first thought was "Are they going to eat pudding!?" I'm sure several people had that exact same first impression.

No real desire to see it. Gay cowboys just don't seem all that interesting to me.

16. mushie18

mushie18 Intergalactic

i'm pretty sure it's more than just "gay cowboys".

17. hipunk

hipunk Member

I do want to see the movie when it plays here. I balled my eyes out when I saw the trailer. I'm such a sap.

I just listened to a pod cast of the director, Ang Lee, in an interview after a recent screening. It's a love story. So, most of the women I know would go for that reason, rather then because they get off on two men together. Though I'm sure there will be the comparison thing brought up in the reviews and blogs, you know "straight dudes get off on lesbian sex, so now straight women have this." But that's kinda crazy. I mean, folks may want to make it so, just because that's a tidy story. I don't think women will go to see two men. They'll go for the same reason I go to a romance movie, not to see Leo kiss Kate, but for the experience and the story.

This is a tear jerker love story first. But it has the potential of shaping our future. My question isn't, "how are straight women going to take to it?" My question is, "how are a bitchy bunch of queens going to take to their new found straight friends?"

One of the contingents at the Gay Pride Parade that always gets the best reception is PFLAG (parents, family and FRIENDS of lesbians and gays.) The applause, of course, seems to be for the parents and families who march for their gay kids. This film is going to make new friends for the GLBT community, giving us an opportunity to applaud and welcome a whole new contingent of friends. I welcome the exposure but I admit I'm grateful for a romantic movie where I can pretend I'm the man up there recieving the big kiss on the screen, for a change, and not the woman.

18. txbarefooter

a gay friend and I were talking about this at the gym an dhe said he wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't play where I live and we'd prolly have to go to Houston to see it. I live in a VERY conservative college town, they think Bush (both of them) are god, so I wouldn't be surprised it it doesn't show here.

19. txbarefooter

Brokeback Mountain is kicking serious ass at the theaters. ok not in totals, but King Kong took in $50 million but an average of $15,000 per theater. Brokeback Mountain is showing in very limited numbers but averaged $30,000 per theater, even in some "red" states it is doing very well. I wouldn't go as far as to say peoples attitudes are changing, but hopefully it is a start.

20. Taylor

Taylor Repatriated

I'm going to see it for three reasons.

1) Jake and Heath together is gonna be totally hot

2) I love romance and romantice movies and if they're gay stories, that makes me happier (male or female - I just like seeing non-mainstream stories become accessible to mainstream)

3) I'm interested as to how exactly Hollywood is going to treat this gay love story. Will it have a message of "well, they're gay so there's no way they could ever be happy." or a message of "even though they're shunned by society, they can still be happy." or something like that.