British comedy vs American comedy

Discussion in 'TV Comedies and Sitcoms' started by Elle, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Mr Kite

Mr Kite Member

I go for British.Shows like Monty Python,Fawlty Towers and Ripping Yarns.Ok,so MP and RY arent sit coms but you get my drift.

2. waukegan

waukegan Member

funny people from all over.but i think t.v. in general is out of a world wide golden age of comedy on t.v. that lasted 40 years from the late 40's to late 70's.it was alot of fun while it lasted and alot of it is available on tapes and dvd....right now i would say though the brits are ahead in comedy but during that 40 year period it was well devided.people trying new things going for laughs.rickles,benny hill,sam kinison got laughs with their own brand of humor that i think is tough to do.today's artists have a tough time topping it.....that would be a 30 year period.but i would include the radio era also.

3. Mr Kite

Mr Kite Member

The only new comedy I watch is satirical shows,like,Mock the Week and Have I got News For You.And,QI isnt bad.

4. lynzxx

lynzxx Senior Member

i rather alan carr :rolleyes: hes funny . do you not think jimmy carrs sounds like he's reading his jokes.. :confused:
    british funny is actually funny, american funny, is kinda stupid funny.. i still find it funny though.. not hard to make me laugh :rolleyes:

5. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

I don't know that the two can be fairly compared.
    I mean, both encompass a wide range of humors, though, no offense to the Brits here, I find American comedy to be a bit more diverse.

British comedians right now absolutely kill the American ones. That's for sure.

But I think once you bring shows, movies, authors into it - things get a bit more skewed.

6. Tisha Mc

Tisha Mc Banned

I prefer more of a dry humour, so British comedy wins with me.
    Some American comedy can make me smile, but British comedy can cause me to laugh out loud.

7. SamanthaHazelEyes

SamanthaHazelEyes Member

British comedy... It's sharper and wittier, as far as I'm concerned.

8. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

9. i0-techno

i0-techno The Magnificent Dope

I have more British classic faves then American so I will say British is better, due to its spacey out there nature. I know that the heads that made these comedies where open and thinking deep(Are you being served, Red Dwarf, The Hitchhikers Guide To the Galaxy), past a laugh. With American humor it is so self serving, motivated by outside forces, not that it is bad but there should be some fire, some internal eruption into a dramatic moment that trickles throughout my mind. Though there are many exceptions to this thought. Also I do prefer a European humor, not really British specifically to American, no doubt, good question.

10. floyden

floyden Member

11. surreal_charm

surreal_charm Member

i absolutely agree. shows like 'The IT Crowd' and 'Black Adder' are a lot funnier than 'Two and a Half Men' or '30 Rock'.

but 'The Simpsons' and 'Friends' and 'Whose Line Is It Anyway' are an exception in American comedy. the rest just seem the same to me. nonsensical humor.

12. Mr_Mojo_Risin

Mr_Mojo_Risin Member

I love British comedy panel shows, especially NVMTBuzzcocks, but love the US comedies. Really liking 'Glory Daze' at the moment, but I heard it's been cancelled already :/ I thought it was pretty good!

13. lunarverse

lunarverse The Living End

Many Americans find dick jokes funny.

Many Brit's find men dressed as women funny.

14. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

british. we have both here but american humor is a little too canned. plus it is fairly obvious.

british comedy is not so.

15. LoneDeranger

LoneDeranger Trying to pay attention.

Canadian humour = the best (funniest) of both worlds.

16. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I wish they'd all get rid of the laugh tracks. I think they are a cover for bad writing and are irritating as hell. If the writing can't stand on it's own they don't deserve to be on. I like both if the writing is good.

17. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

with a joke like that, i'd say you were right :smilielol5:

18. wa bluska wica

wa bluska wica Pedestrian

i like keeping up appearances, it's the same exact jokes every time, and i always laugh at them

oh, nice

19. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

Canadian sitcoms really blow
    Canadian stand up and skit-com FTW.

And for those who scoff... the largest comedy festival in the world ain't in the US or the UK...

:hide: