Brake pads

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by wave owls not flags, May 30, 2007.

1. wave owls not flags

wave owls not flags is not interested

So Friday morning I am dropping my car off for surgery. Ever since I bought it its been making a harsh, grinding noise whenever I tap or step on the breaks. The rotors will more than likely have to be replaced too. All this for only $215. :D....:(

But its something that I absolutely must do if I am to go to Cooperstown this year.

Golly do I miss this place. :D
    Don't leave me hanging, friends

2. Lucifer Sam

Lucifer Sam Vegetable Man

I had the same problem with my car, before... the squealing and such... but I just ended up selling it. It had other problems, too.

3. Micha

Micha Now available in Verdana!

mine squeak slightly:eek:

4. wave owls not flags

Good job. [​IMG]

Aside from the brakes and a hole in the muffler, my car is awesome. I don't want to sell it just yet.

Mine don't really squeak.... I think it sounds more like a hungry dinosaur, and my brother says he thought a plane was going to land on us the first time he was in my car. :D

5. wildflowereyes

wildflowereyes Senior Member

i want a motor bike or whatever they are called. its my new fascination.

my car i have is a POS, but it was free so.. eh.

6. wave owls not flags

oooohhhh, like the Ford POS in Men in Black?

I seriously didn't know what "POS" meant until years after I saw that movie. I thought it was a rare Ford model. :D

7. mr.morrison

mr.morrison Senior Member

maybe you can take it too a high school to get it fixed. if they are like mine, the auto tech department might fix it for alot cheaper than a shop.

8. wildflowereyes

i'd probably be kicked out of the house if i bought a ford.
    and i cant afford rent right now :p
    its a toyota

9. wave owls not flags

Yeah....I'm not going to do that. :tongue: I have a distrust of most teenagers and people in general.

10. wave owls not flags

I have a Chevy, as does my dad, and my mom's about to be getting one. Ten years ago my parents were diehard Ford fanatics.... I really don't even see why there's a rivalry :confused:

11. wildflowereyes

my dad just doesnt like fords. if i have a ford or a vw bug, he wont help me with car problems. and i know shit about cars, so thats a big threat.

i want an vintage moped (thats what i meant when i said motor bike.. i think that was this thread). the kind that look like motorcycles sorta. not the scooter crap

12. wave owls not flags

my mom had one of those when she was a youngin like we. :D i wish she still had it, that'd be so awesome.

Here here to not knowing anything about cars. :H

13. spooner

spooner is done.

It most likely means the pads have worn through... They're pretty easy to cange, most of the time.

I hate working on calipers though. I've broken my fair share of bleeder screws.

14. wave owls not flags

So, what actually happened...

It wasn't the front brakes. Actually, it appeared that all of the brake pads had been changed recently, except for the right rear's set. Everything was so worn that the entire piece of car (rotor and caliper) was about to break off. (o_O) The thing with early-90's Luminas is that when changing the brake pad you also have to replace the rotor and the caliper. For just one set it cost $262....

but no more dinosaur sounds! yeah!

15. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Yeah, brake pads on GMs and Yotas click and rotors shake when they're worn.

Of course, on a Toyota or a VW, you probably won't ever have to replace a water pump or anything of that sort.

I like european cars because you only change the oil ever 5k miles and as far as expense goes, it's mostly just electronic issues. I got my Jetta and the door was bent (you have to open it twice to get out or push on it)... either the henge is sprung or someone was sitting on the door's armrest while at a concert or selling/waiting for weed. :rolleyes:

In fact, when I opened the center console, there was some shake in it and it's got hookups for monitors and stereo speakers... so I figured some token black guy owned it.

And he lived in Currituck County, North Carolina, according to Carfax. Ironically enough, my mom owned a Toyota 4Runner from Currituck County. It was quite lemonized-- someone took it out on the beach and got saltwater/sand all in the transfer case and brakes, didn't wash it off.... so it would always lock up randomly, while going about 20mph, then you wouldn't be able to go anywhere and the brakes would start to smoke. :eek:

16. wave owls not flags

I would like to own a Jetta someday.

17. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I'd like to get some sorta wagon with All Wheel Drive/4Motion etc. My jetta is great, but I like the 4motion Passat wagons a little more. I almost got a used '99 for just under 8,000. I also looked at Golfs and GTIs (since you can jam out while camping and whatnot... and I could have modded the shit out of the amp on the GTI).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The 1.8Ts/VR6s/TDIs haul ass... :eek: But now they're offering the 2.5liter I-5. Mine is a 2.0 liter, but I took it to Virginia Motor Speedway this one day and raced my fiend in his S-10 and beat him, yet he has a 2.2.

Volvos sorta bug me sometimes, but I love the new XCs and S80. I test drove a used XC70 Cross Country. This guy was getting rid of it for 12,000, from my town, but living up in Deleware... he was a professor getting a divorce or somesuch. My neighbor ended up buying it.

They're good for shows/fests when it rains... and driving gear to concerts. All-Wheel-Drive also kicks ass on beaches. Honestly, I've never seen a Subaru or an AWD car ever get stuck when I go down to the Outer Banks, in NC.

I took my Jetta off-road (I had to) when I was in West Virginia... I've been thinking about taking the skirt thing off of the front, since I'm always going somewhere ridiculous.

I've also driven it through creeks and shit, getting to cabins and tent sites...