Boycott Absolut Vodka

Discussion in 'Protest' started by Reverand JC, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

I work with children at an Inner City youth program and saw something kind of alarming. As a 15 second bumper to keep you occupied while the video buffers they use a preview for a documentary on Jay Z proudly sponsored by Absolut Vodka and go to Myspace.com/absolut to see more tacked to the Justin Bieber video for Never say Never featuring Jaden Smith from The Karate Kid (I know there is alot of plugging in that sentance sorry). What the fuck is this!? and at the corner of the screen a still for the documentary stays in the picture. Target marketing Vodka to 11 year olds. I have yet to encounter any Justin Bieber fans older than 12 years old. I can now honestly say that advertising has officially hit new lows.

Peace Out,
    Rev J

2. deleted

deleted Visitor

maybe its a french commercial..

3. jmt

jmt Ezekiel 25:17

fack Vevo.

4. Lostthoughts

Lostthoughts Thostloughts

Wait...

People still use myspace?

5. LostOne

LostOne Member

That is fucked...but definitely believable. You say "as a 15 second bumper to keep you occupied while the video buffers." What video exactly? What site? Is it one that the youth program uses or what? Just for clarification.

6. Reverand JC

^^Youtube. The video is for "Never say Never" from the new Karate Kid movie. I'm sorry that I left out. I was kind of distracted. And it was one that the kids are absoluteley allowed to use.

Peace Out,
    Rev J

7. jmt

jmt Ezekiel 25:17

it tops facebook in 2009.

8. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

9. Jedite83

Jedite83 Van Dweller

I'll join in your boycott. I never liked their vodka so I don't drink it anyways.

10. stacy lulu

stacy lulu yeeeaah buddy

absolut is good. so no.

11. Lostthoughts

Lostthoughts Thostloughts

Fuck... All my friends stopped using it about a year ago, I havnt been on there since then

12. Reverand JC

Kettle One is so much better.

Peace Out,
    Rev J

13. stacy lulu

stacy lulu yeeeaah buddy

I have yet to try it. I keep thinking its a "man's drink" cause of that commercial.

14. Reverand JC

That's the thing. I used to work as a bar tender. One of the side effects is that I learned the difference between grades of booze. Absolut is mid grade. Once you start getting into Belvedere, Kettle One, and Grey Goose. Absolut, Skyy and the other vodkas with the ad campaigns in trendy magazines really start to lose their appeal. They have pretty ads and pop culture cred but lack quality, and sophistication. I think that is part of the reason Absolut is putting it's product in ads before Justin Bieber videos. People are starting hip up to the fact that Absolut isn't as good as it claims to be and they need another generation of consumers who don't know better to buy their product.

Peace Out,
    Rev J

15. babyjay

babyjay Senior Member

actually, i do know some 21-23 year old females who have 'bieber fever'.
    just sayin d:

16. onesublimesister

onesublimesister Member

Vodka is delicious, but does it really matter what brand? They're all guilty of targeting at some point.

17. Reverand JC

Yes every product is guilty of targeting on one level or another. But let's shift mediums for a moment. Let's say Absolut Vodka started advertising on the Mickey Mouse Club you would think that was pretty low, underhanded, and downright sleasy.

It is one thing to brand and advertise vodka to adult consumers and quite another to brand and advertise vodka to kids. While I do indulge in Vodka occasionally I suggest taking a taste test between Taaka, Skyy, and Grey Goose then tell me there is no difference. Those are all very different price brackets. Most of the people you see drinking Taaka are homeless, most of the people you see drinking Skyy are twenty somethings of medium income who have not been drinking long, and most of the people you see drinking Grey Goose are connoseurs. Some of that has to do with advertising but there still are very huge differences between them.

Peace Out,
    Rev J

18. Reverand JC

But what do you suppose the proportion is to 11 or 12 year olds?

just sayin

Peace Out,
    Rev J

19. babyjay

babyjay Senior Member

well, yeah, i can guarantee there are thousands of 11-12 year old justin beiber lovers, in comparison to a few that are actually of age to drink.

but actually, now that i think about it, society actually has alot of 11-12 year olds who drink and do illegal things. :(

20. Reverand JC

I also know a disproportionate number of 13 aand 14 year olds on anti-depressants.

Peace Out,
    Rev J