Bourne Trashes Bond

Discussion in 'Movie Stars' started by Shale, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Shale

Shale ~

Bourne Trashes Bond

I just recently watched all the Bourne movies on DVD, in sequence and it was an enjoyable experience. I used to watch Bond movies when I was a young man, but got away from all that fictional mayhem as I got older, hence I didn't see any of the Bourne movies in theater. But, after Bourne Ultimatum the third in the trilogy got such good comments from friends who were into the series and after being warned that it would be best to see them in sequence I got all the DVD's and watched them one week.

Matt Damon at the UK Premiere of Bourne Ultimatum - Leicester Square, London Aug. 2007

[​IMG]

Yes, I really like Matt Damon on screen. And, he is more than just a pretty face. He is Harvard educated and politically savvy with a liberal bend such as my own. We could probably spend an afternoon trashing the former presidential embarrassment, Duh'bya and Matt was one of the high-profile campaigners for Barack Obama. Oh, and maybe I'll get the chance someday if I run into him somewhere in town. You see, Damon also lives in Miami Beach.

He was recently interviewed by Glenn Garvin of The Miami Herald about his art and politics where the inevitable discussion of his spy movies, such as Syriana, the Bourne series and The Good Shepherd came up. The article mentioned not to compare "that unctuous James Bond fellow to the misguided but moral Bourne."

"They could never make a James Bond movie like any of the Bourne films," Damon says scornfully. "Because Bond is an imperialist, misogynist sociopath who goes around bedding women and swilling martinis and killing people. He's repulsive."

OK, just wanted to stir up some shit with my Brit friends here.

Like I said, I used to watch Bond movies in my youth when Scottish actor Sean Connery played him. Ian Fleming was a WWII vintage author so the character woulda been my parent's generation when the male ideal was the Hugh Hefner playboy and the James Bond martini-swilling misogynist. So, gotta give Damon credit for telling it like it is from a modern, young man's perspective. Some of those old Bond movies are a bit embarrassing in light of what I've learned over the years.

2. PsyGrunge

PsyGrunge Full Fractal Force

Bourne beats Bond, hands down.
    I'd pick the Bourne Trilogy over the entire Bond collection any day;
    if that's not saying something, I don't know what is! :p

3. odon

odon Slightly Popular

We'll see if the franchise is going in 40 years time...lol.
    No, seriously...they do, but i still like a few of the bond films.

4. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Sean Connery is Scottish, not Welsh. ;)

Anyway... I wasn't much of a bond fan myself, but I think Daniel Craig is a fantastic 007. The Bourne series is also quite excellent.

5. Shale

Shale ~

Oops!!

Musta confused Sir Sean with Sir Anthony! My apologies to whomever might have been offended.

(I don't need Hannibal or Highlander on my case) :eek: