Boulder, Colorado

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by BraveSirRubin, May 9, 2004.

1. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Anyone been to/ or has seen the Uni there... it's called either Naropa or Napora... not sure.

It has a very interesting Buddhist approach to studies...

I read about it, but I was wondering if anyone can actually give me some real-life experience from the university or the town.

2. garf12

garf12 Member

Never heard of that university although I did visit to look at the Univeristy of Colorado. Boulder is a freaking awsome town. It has a great view of the rocky mountains in the distance. The student population there is very liberal, and hippy like, and it is a great town for a student. The U of C campus is really pretty also. I really wish I would have ended up going there.

The town is also close to the ski slopes if you like to ski.

3. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Thanks alot :)

The U i'm talikng about is very close to the U of C...

Does sound like a nice place.

Where did you end up going in the end?

4. sweatininthesouth

sweatininthesouth Member

I lived in Colorado (Denver/Boulder metro area) most of my life, having recently moved to Atlanta. I graduated from Univ. of Colo/Denver, but spent my junior year at the Boulder campus.

Boulder is a truly unique place. It's pretentious though, elitist, and very, very expensive. People are almost too hip and cool there and I always felt it lacked substance and realness. Naropa is a cool school and also fairly expensive to attend. They catered my wedding (cooking school) and it was pretty cheap though! A friend of mine graduated from there with a degree in "Tibetan translation" or something like that.....it was hard for her to find a job with that degree...

I don't know how old your are Sir Rubin, but I'm in my 40's and I felt really old there cuz being a college town, well, everyone's young and of course beautiful (it's Colorado!). It's a great place to visit, but I couldn't live there again.....I need more realness I guess. People always seemed to have a "prop" like a dog with a bandana, a funky old car, dreads, and when you talked to them, they were "trust funders" living off of parental money and not really into any significance in their lives....

Oh well, don't mean to ramble, but I just moved from there back in October and don't miss it.....but I do miss the beauty of it -- absolutely awesome scenery....

5. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

I am 17, and searching for a school.

The "Expensive" aspect truly pushes me off, I cannot afford anything like that unless i get a scholarship (which is likely, but not certain).

The town itself, and the buddhist approach othe school attracts me alot... but, I also do not want to be in a completely "hip" town, no diversity.

Thank you.

6. sweatininthesouth

sweatininthesouth Member

If you're 17, I think you would probably fall in love with Boulder. There are alot of youngish Buddhists there, and you could probably find a good group of friends who didn't buy into the "hip" culture. I would check the Naropa tuition cost, as you might me able to get into a work/study program there. Housing is just like any other college town, pretty pricey. But you can always share a house with other students and that would bring the cost down significantly.

Boulder is what YOU make of it really. I just outgrew it (I'm 47) but it was an awesome place when I was younger, if you just don't buy into the "coolness" of it all......good luck!!!

7. people_lovr

people_lovr Member

brave sir

i just got back from Boulder & i found a little booklet thingee about Naropa. I had previously read this thread so i picked it up to see if i could help you out. Anyway, it says how they make an effort to keep their programs affordable by "offering an opportunity for you to share your talents and skills in exchange for partial, or in some cases, entire tuition. Examples of work exchanges are helping with registration, assisting with marketing, filing/data entry,helping during an event, ect."
    Anyway, sounds like an awesome place. Definitely pricey though. I can send you this booklet if you'd like. Or if you have any questions i can just look in the booklet and let you know what it says.
    email or PM me

~Peace~ [​IMG]

8. Sus

Sus Hip Forums Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I lived in Boulder for 9 yrs., and loved it, although I would have to agree that I probably wouldn't want to live there again. It is very expensive (and it wasn't cheap when I was there), and there is a lot of pretentiousness going on. Lots of big money in Boulder, that is for sure! But, it is beautiful. If you have a car, you might want to consider living outside Boulder and commuting in...Louisville/Lafayette areas are nice, and a bit less expensive. SAme with Broomfield...there are a lot of outlying areas around Boulder if you have a good car that can handle snow and ice pretty well...

Naropa is expensive...I inquired about their psychology major awhile ago, and it was a little out of line for my pocket. But, I believe that it is an excellent school, and they have a scholarship program. They have a website...I don't have the addy handy, but if you plug in "Naropa" into Google, it will bring it right up.

Good luck!

9. dhs

dhs Senior Member

I'm not too familiar with narapo, but I am with Boulder and I would have to agree it does have somewhat of an elitist tip hip for you mentality. This isn't to say that there aren't a lot of cool people there, its just that many people who are there think they are cool because they live in Boulder and not because of who they are.

10. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

It's Naropa, and I endeavor to some continuing ed classes.
    I feel Boulder is a great place to visit, even for a year or three.
    But the jewel is a a nearby town, that if I told you where it was, it would no longer be a jewel!
    Lots of students live in Broomfield and surrounding towns with RTD (Return Trip Doubtful) bus service. (actually RTD is Regional Transportation District, and it is good in Boulder)
    Lots live in roomate situations.
    Employment is tough. Stores are closing on the tourist mall, burt some really kind employers are there: Mountain/Southern Sun brewery, Celestial Seasonings, some of the tech places take care of their people.

Come up and check it our next year.
    PM me and I'll give you a tour.

11. metro

metro self-banned

I love Boulder! My sister lives there now and is going to attend the University. I may also for grad school, but I want to live there first and establish residency.

12. busboy5447

busboy5447 Member

I am working in boulder now and am getting ready to move there and go to cu in 2005. I love the town but there are a lot of elistist trust fund types. I have a few friends and customers who attend naropa or are teachers there. They all love it. I would like to go there but it is way to expensive for me.

13. Angel_Headed_Hipster

Angel_Headed_Hipster Senior Member

The University of Boulder is fucking awesome. My Cousin graduated from there a year or two ago. Everywhere i went on campus there was Protest Ads, and Groups and Commities in the school against Bush, it was great.

Peace and Love,
    Dan

14. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

where do you work, busboy? and yeah... lots of Trustifarians!