Bottle Deposits

Discussion in 'Remember When?' started by NotDeadYet, Jul 20, 2009.

1. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet Not even close.

Remember when people used to walk along roadsides and collect soda bottles to sell? Seems like the peak value for reusable bottles was about 5 cents, which was a lot of money in the 1960s, especially if you didn't have any money at all. I remember it well.

2. ChronicTom

ChronicTom Banned

From; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Container-deposit_legislation

3. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member

There still are bottle deposits in some states. Other's just give a flat rate by pound for returned bottles.

I like the deposits because, then, if you don't recycle, its at least costing you something.

4. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

Yeah, those numbers on the top of some cans and plastic bottles, among state names, aren't they the price you get for it at a bottle deposit in the state?

My state isn't one of them, it always makes me feel left out when I'm reading my can/bottle =P

5. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member

^^^Yeah, but they charge you that amount when you buy them. In my state, it's .05/can, For example, on a 30 pack of beers, they charge an additional $1.50 ontop of the price for the beer. Then, when you return the cans, you get your deposit back.

So, Duck, don't feel too bad, you wouldn't be making any extra money, just getting back the money you already paid.

6. Zorba The Grape

Zorba The Grape Gavagai?

Where I live, you pay a ten cent deposit and get five back. You used to get the full ten back, but I guess the government decided the money would be better spent by them...

7. NotDeadYet

I had no idea so many places still have bottle deposits. It's been many years since I saw a kid walking along the road looking for discarded bottles to sell for extra cash. I don't know of any way for kids to get easy money like that around here, even in small amounts.

8. Sweetart_Katie

Sweetart_Katie Member

I guess Michigan is one of the few states with a good sized return. 10 cents per bottle. It sure comes in handy sometimes. Yeah It's not free money (unless they ain't your cans) but Usually it's money you've written off forgot you had. I know lots of time after a party at my place I'll go to clean up and make a few bucks in just cans. I mean 10 cans is a buck. so if some one leaves a 30 pack - $3 of free money! lol

9. Death

Death Grim Reaper Lifetime Supporter

thats what the old homeless do around campus here. they collect THOUSANDS of beer cans on a nightly basis.

10. Duck

The homeless here use bottles for removing young boys' genitalia after molesting them (and before murdering) =)

11. deleted

deleted Visitor

when I was a kid they had West Park soda and the bottle was pretty big, But you could get .1ocent a bottle and get some candy.. I remember this time we found cases of empty bottle in this abandon house, Was like hitting the jackpot..
    how they fucked up the world now a kid cant even collect some bottles for some candy...

12. deleted

deleted Visitor

Are you referring to Cornelius , East Ohio St.. I dont think he did it.. The case was over shadowed at the time with Bammhammer and Taylor..

13. Duck

I was young and didn't pay attention to the news much, but yes that is what I was referring to. I only remember it because of how fucking crazy of a story it was =P

14. NotDeadYet

Damn, this thread took a nasty little turn. :(

15. Duck

Not really, we were just bullshitting, it's not like we were attacking anyone or I was supporting that people should use their bottles that way =P
    I rarely see a thread on here stay on topic, but I usually see them get back on topic before dying

16. deleted

deleted Visitor

I took in some cans today and got $59.00, $3.50 for 5 old 4ft florescent lamps.. $59.50 for some garbage isnt to bad.. :D

17. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

$3.50 for fluorescent lamps????....thats the first I hear...

Bilby likes this.
  18. deleted

deleted Visitor

[​IMG]

clean prep-tin.. I had 5 of them..

19. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

oh tin :D....I thought they were paying deposits on bulbs ...over here the bulbs are considered hazardour due to the mercury and the ballasts are same for pcb's or something

20. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

I remember over here in the early eighties they came out with a huge three liter pop/soda bottle that was glass and they had a 25 cent deposit....but they discontinued them because they kept exploding in fridges