Border Patrol, No Pot but Smell Remains

Discussion in 'Cannabis Legal and Security Issues' started by upperlevel, Dec 25, 2012.

1. upperlevel

upperlevel Member

Hello, I am from Canada and my friends and I are leaving on a road trip tomorrow and will be crossing the border into the US . We are going in my friends vehicle which he has used many times to smoke pot in. We don't plan to have any pot on us and we don't plan to smoke in his car at any point from now until we get safely back into Canada at the end of the trip. We are also going through his vehicle with a vacuum to get any possible pot crumbs and such tonight.
    I just noticed that the sleeve of my main jacket smells strongly of smoked weed (I usually vape weed, but smoked some last night for Christmas Eve). I don't have time to have the jacket cleaned before we leave and I will need to take this jacket along for snowboarding.
    Many other things we own probably also have the residual smell of pot on them but we are trying to limit this and keep the possible stinky things inside of bags.

Should we worry if we aren't planning to have any pot or paraphernalia in the car or on our persons? What is the worst that can happen? How stringent are the searches if one does occur? We want to take a few tabs of acid with us, but those can usually be hidden under car warning stickers or inside books and such so it is usually a safe bet. I just realized that our stuff probably all smells like pot and it is kind of sketching me out now.

Any help is appreciated! :sunny:

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Nothing to worry about if you ain't doing the crime.

3. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

As long as you're fucking SURE that nobody has ANYTHING even REMOTELY illegal, smell should not be an issue, even though you could be detained and searched for it.

Don't hide acid anywhere that they might look if they searched. as long as it's WELL hidden in the book, or wherever. Somewhere that weed or other things would not fit, and so, they would not check. I don't want to share any brilliant ideas because hey, the bad guys read this forum too... but yeah, not behind car parts and you would be all set. If it's NOT wrapped in metallic foil, somewhere on your person, as long as a frisk wouldn't detect anything funny, and you should be just fine.

I guess they could turn you back at the border, but ehh, you're from canada, they know you're all dirty pot smokers anyways.....

I'm just talking out my ass here, I have no personal experience with this. But I wouldn't expect that you'd have any problems, and if you did, as long as there's no pot or other drugs that have enough mass to find, I think it'll be fine.

4. eatlysergicacid

eatlysergicacid Creep in a T-Shirt

If I've learned anything about Canadian police from Trailer Park Boys it's that you should probably have some weed or hash on you to bribe them :D

5. upperlevel

upperlevel Member

Thanks for the reassurance.
    I know that I'm legally pretty safe in this situation but I would like to avoid a search if possible to save time and to calm nerves. Is there any surefire way to make a car that might smell like burnt pot to a dog not smell that way?
    I wish I had liquid instead of tabs, would be easier to just drop on a page or something, I wonder if its worth it to take like 20 tabs and make them into liquid with vodka or something and then drop the few that we need onto candies or certain pages of a book.

And no, I won't be silly enough to wrap them in foil :2thumbsup: I know that the substance is stronger than most claim it to be, even without protection a tab can easily survive a few days in a less than perfect situation.

If they frisk me and don't find anything, are they allowed to do any further strip searches? What if they find a crumb of pot in the car, can they strip search us then?

6. Justin_Hale

Justin_Hale ( •_•)⌐■-■ ...(⌐■_■)

I'm a Border P'troll Agent.

Go ahead and vacuum your car and wash your clothes.

I'll just test your hair follicles for THC.

And your little dog too.

:D

BTW, bribes must be in US currency.

7. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

I dunno, I'd hide the tabs somewhere that, if they did strip search you, they wouldn't find, something that would stay in clothes and not turn up in a normal search.

Just somewhere that's obviously too thin to contain anything, even pills, imo.

I think you would lose a LOT of potency if you tried to re-dissolve it and re-drop it. And remember that chlorine and many other common things in stuff like tap water destroy LSD instantly.

You could easly hide it in a cardboard box, between the bottom leaves, and glue it around them, so it seems like one of those boxes that where always glued. Or you could even, carefully with a wire, hollow a section of cardboard, place the tabs inside, and plug the hole with the corrogation from another piece of cardboard, and do this on a haggard looking box, so you can have tape running different directions to disguise it and it wouldn't attract suspicion. I feel safe saying this one, because... lol, fuck you poor chumps who will have to check every square inch of every cardboard box ever, if you care that much.

And if you did it right, you could plausibly deny that you knew of it's existence, if the need arose, and claim that you got it from so-and-so's uncles cousin who got the item from a friend at work, or whatever...

pop up the cover of a cheap book, glue it under so it looks like it was always that way, and take like a dozen books.

All sorts of ways.

I've always wondered, if anyone knows, xray machines shouldn't be a problem here, but at an airport, can they see single pices of paper like blotter? how visible would it be through materials like metal, wood, ceramic, plastic, other paper... could the easily see the outline?

8. upperlevel

upperlevel Member

Well border went fine, unfortunately my friend and I received class B misdemeanors when we got pulled over and searched on the way back home while we were in Utah.
    They told us to call the court in 5 days, and the cop wouldn't tell us if we should stay in the area or go back home to Canada. He said we can possibly pay the citation by phone from home but that a judge may still want to see us. This is a sticky situation because I can't get more time off work and I have no money to stay in the US or to travel back for court.
    I guess my question is that if I have an arrest warrant, is that only effective in that county/state or will I never be able to come back to the US?

9. explorer9891

explorer9891 Member

I'm pretty sure the arrest warrant is only for U.S. I highly doubt they will want to go after you in canada.
    I dont know the laws in Utah, but I am sure that if you return to the state they might want you to pay the fine or not.
    like i said idk, a class b misdemeanor isn't that major here in IL

10. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Personally, I'd get outta dodge.... Given that you're not a US citizen and don't have to deal with our bullshit.

There are extradition agreements between states, but I don't know if it would be federal, and they'd arrest you the moment you stepped over the border.... but I don't think so.

Utah may have a statute of limitations written in such a way that if you don't show and they don't catch you, after X years you're free and clear. You could look it up.

You could also search out a local lawyer. Try to get a free consultation, and they can tell if they can repersent you from canada. I expect the simple fact that you had an obligation in another country, and that you still went out of your way to make it right, will be enough for the judge. But I don't live in utah, I don't really know. (I mean, here they sure wouldn't do that if I was a mexican national and ran off. But my state sucks massive dick).