Boots And Shoes!

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by ~Nichola~, Jan 15, 2005.

1. ~Nichola~

~Nichola~ Member

Hey,
    I am having a bit of a dilema here, as i just cannot find a pair of platform boots that aren't made of leather. I know this may sound really hypocritical but will it be such a bad thing if i bought 1 pair of boots every like 5years that were leather? I feel really bad saying this but it's just no good, all synthetic shoes i have bought i have found uncomfortable and i am lost as to what to do. Before i turned veggie 5 years ago i owned a pair of new rocks boots. I couldn't live without them and so when i turned veggie i said i would wear them till they die and that be it as they cost a lot of money i didn't see the point in wasting them. But now i need a new pair and just cant find any boot that matches their durability, style and just everything. Are there any vegetarians out there that could help me, for as bad as i would feel for owning leather boots i just can't take being uncomfortable on my feet when i spend 12hours a day walking around in them in my job. Many thanks
    Nichola

2. Boogabaah

Boogabaah I am not here

3. ~Nichola~

~Nichola~ Member

Many thanks for your help, unfortunatly im an 19 year old who loves cool footwear, for example http://i2.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/2e/22/90_1_b.JPG them, that's what i'm really after. And it's driving me insane cos i am torn apart between getting them and not getting them. I will probably end up going against my beliefs and getting them and just not caring what people think of me cos i love them and i want them and argh it's just so hard

4. Boogabaah

Boogabaah I am not here

:eek: ya ever think about designing shoes?

if i could go back and do it all over.. i think i'd go to art school and become a vegan shoe designer..
    i hate 99% of all shoes out there

UGLY
    i usually just go barefoot anyways

5. jamaica

jamaica Member

6. PriceCheck

PriceCheck Senior Member

Could you please do that anyways? The world needs more and funkier vegan shoes.

7. MetalWarrior

MetalWarrior Member

There has to be a good japaneese manufacturer out there that's pouring polutants in the ocean making "Plastic shoes"
    Face facts, to make plastic pours more polutants into the enviroment than using simple leather.

8. dodgebus

dodgebus Member

Do you know this for sure. How much polutants are used in the whole cow/leather thing?

The leather industry has tried to convince consumers that skins are "eco-friendly," but leather is not "green." Leather products are loaded with chemicals to keep them from decomposing in the buyer's closet, and leather production pollutes the environment and gobbles up precious resources.
    Formaldehyde, coal-tar derivatives, and various oils, dyes, and finishes-some of them cyanide-based-are used to turn animal skins into finished leather goods. Most leather produced in the United State is chrome-tanned. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, all wastes containing chromium are hazardous. Tannery effluent also contains large amounts of other pollutants, such as lime sludge, sulfides, and acids.

And don't forget: Unlike pleather, the "real thing" causes millions of animals to suffer every single year.

Dan K

9. MetalWarrior

MetalWarrior Member

Leather sure does decompose faster than plastic in a landfill, Whould you feel better if your boots came from a cow that died of old age? I'm sure there's a farm somewhere they put old cows.

10. RainbowCat

RainbowCat Senior Member

wow! what a big selection!

11. jamaica

jamaica Member

a thought is to use cotton or hemp, preferably organic. those decompose much kinder than either leather or plastic and if you aren't overly vain and impractical about your footwear you will buy less shoes and use them until they need to be replaced unlike the majority of the world who lives a throw away lifestyle.