books on apocalyptic scenarios

Discussion in 'Fiction' started by prana, Feb 9, 2011.

1. prana

prana Member

Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
  2. InvisibleLantern

InvisibleLantern Member

I love Twilight Zone cliffhangers though! Those books look pretty great. Apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic are two of my favorite "genres". I've never read either of those, but I'm always on the lookout for new mind-candy.

I'm going to throw in my personal favorite here. It's called "Swan Song" by Robert R. McCammon. This book observes the life of several different groups of people, all from different places, at the time of the beginning of a nuclear world war. One of these characters has the power to revitalize the earth, and another character is the a sci-fi representation of human greed and thirst for power. Although these are the two main characters, you will meet several people who will all play a major role in this "apocalypse" and the war of the survivors that comes after. The second war is a really fascinating part - since technology was wiped out by the nukes, the entire scene takes on a dark and medieval quality.

It sounds like a generic sci-fi, but it's really quite good. The characters are the most interesting part - they're the type of people that never become main characters otherwise.

Thanks again for the great recommendations!

3. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

The Stand-Stephen King
    Oryx and crake - ?
    Neuromancer- William Gibson?
    1984-George Orwell
    Brave New World- Aludous Huxley

4. Varuna

Varuna Senior Member

The best ones I've read . . .

Earth Abides - George Stewart
    The Parable of the Sower/The Parable of the Talents - Octavia Butler
    The Song of the Stars - Norman Spinrad
    Riddley Walker - Russell Hoban
    Children of Men - P.D. James

5. artsyfartsy

artsyfartsy Member

Oryx and Crake was by Margaret Atwood. Pretty apocalyptic and frightening...but raises a lot of ethical questions on genetic modification and the like.

Another great one is 'World made by Hand' by Kunstler. All about a community trying to thrive after electricy is gone, government is gone, therefore law, also...It gets into the nitty gritty (what people would eat - they have no wheat there's a rust disease in the soil. How they would live, people who were computer techs now make candles and build things, the doctor and dentist have no antibiotics left and have to rely on poppies for opium. Salvage is the only means of getting materials because there is no machinery to mine and no oil to keep machines working. Various types of 'culture' pops up, what people would do for entertainment, what happens to religion and how different types of people coexist. One 'hillbilly' group would re-enact episodes of the Sopranos for entertainment...all in all a wicked book)

6. Angelmama

Angelmama Angel Lifetime Supporter

Odd Billy Todd is a seldom mentioned post apocalyptic novel
    I recently heard that it's a movie too a d plan to see it.
    It's a great read, written by N.C. Reed.

7. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

books are cool. I remember "Polar City Blues", but only a little. I know I didn't finish it. But I remember the way the cover felt in my hands!

[​IMG]

I don't think it was apocalyptic. It was set in the future. I thought Kerr was pure genius. Every sentence was a Pulitzer.